Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How much play should shifter have in gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 06:55 AM
Starting Over
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much play should shifter have in gear?

I'm pretty new to Mini Coopers, but it seems like there is an excessive amount of play on the shifter while in gear. I've attached a video showing the amount of play while it's in first gear.

If this is an issue any clue what may need to be fixed/adjusted before I start tearing into it?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Untitled Project.mov (5.83 MB, 27 views)
Old 03-02-2023, 01:39 AM
imaslowdriver
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I think that's normal for these cars. Mine does the same. I don't think it's an issue other than being an annoyance.

Old 03-03-2023, 03:10 AM
Daftlad
4th Gear
Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts
Was just wondering this the other day. Hard to tell with the longer shift lever which only amplifies the apparent movement but mine has some play as well. At least now I'm not the only one who's unsettled by this...

Old 03-03-2023, 05:41 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 214 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Starting Over
I'm pretty new to Mini Coopers, but it seems like there is an excessive amount of play on the shifter while in gear. I've attached a video showing the amount of play while it's in first gear.

If this is an issue any clue what may need to be fixed/adjusted before I start tearing into it?
The video didn't work for me.

If you can select each gear with no drama no missed shift no popping out of gear (not necessarily a shift linkage problem but a problem nonetheless) the play while it might feel excessive is not excessive.

To possibly tighten this up a new shifter with new shift bushings/ball sockets/etc will probably be required.

(With another brand of car shortly after I bought the car (used but with low miles and in pristine condition) the shifter broke. The car was under warranty. Tech told me he could order the same shifter the car came with from the factory or he could order a newer shifter -- offered by the factory -- and standard equipment on the newer models (this car was 6 years old). The tech said this new shifter was a better shifter. Some areas had sealed needle bearings rather than plastic bushings. I decided to go with the tech's recommendation. New shifter was worlds better.)

Aftermarket I don't know what's available.

Old 03-03-2023, 11:00 AM
deepgrey
6th Gear
Received 350 Likes on 270 Posts
There might be a bit of extra play, but that looks pretty normal to me.

There's a reason people hack up their consoles to install the Coolerworx.

Old 03-03-2023, 11:50 AM
Daftlad
4th Gear
Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts
(With another brand of car shortly after I bought the car (used but with low miles and in pristine condition) the shifter broke. The car was under warranty. Tech told me he could order the same shifter the car came with from the factory or he could order a newer shifter -- offered by the factory -- and standard equipment on the newer models (this car was 6 years old). The tech said this new shifter was a better shifter. Some areas had sealed needle bearings rather than plastic bushings. I decided to go with the tech's recommendation. New shifter was worlds better.)
Just curious, was it a Jeep?

Old 03-04-2023, 01:23 AM
Fradow
2nd Gear
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
To have a comparison point, I recorded a short video of the play in all 5 gears (reverse didn't easily engage, didn't want to force it with the car off).
This is a 2002 r50, meaning Midlands 5 speed gearbox:

In short, no the amount of play on your video don't seem excessive. If there isn't any other issue, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 03-04-2023, 07:39 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 214 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Daftlad
Just curious, was it a Jeep?
Nope. Was a 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo. With low miles. Never had a shifter wear out let alone break. Ever.

Old 03-09-2023, 10:15 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts
That is excessive play! I've been improving the shift feel of my GP over the past couple years. What I've replaced are:
The shift linkages - connects from the shifter box to the transmission - the rubber bushing rips and you get play
The tiny square in between the two shift linkages on the transmission (circled in yellow)

The actual shift linkage (with weight) - has a teflon plastic cover that wears out and creates play in your shifter.
-Need to do
-Replace the shifter box - there's plastic bushings that the shifter sit in that wear out - they cannot be bought separately that creates side to side play.
- replace the shift forks inside the transmission - a bit harder

Having done all of the work- minus the shifter box, the shifter has a lot less play, but still isn't as good as my old 2003 was.