Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Harness plug question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 07:00 PM
LooseR53
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Harness plug question

Hey guys,

I was installing my pulleys today. I noticed a yellow plug with an orange tab, just kinda hanging out behind the motor near the exhaust manifold/axle.

It wasn’t plugged into anything? I fished it out and found another smaller gray plug coming from the same part of the harness, also not plugged into anything.

Any ideas?

Its an 05 S 6-speed.

Last edited by LooseR53; 03-15-2023 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added pic.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:39 AM
LooseR53
2nd Gear
I think one might be my reverse lights because they haven’t worked since I got the car but I’m unsure.

Old 03-15-2023, 09:12 AM
LooseR53
2nd Gear
Added a pic.

Old 03-15-2023, 10:51 AM
khnitz
3rd Gear
Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts
If you suspect one may be for the reverse lights, then the switch is likely on the transmission directly (at least from my experience with other vehicles). So, maybe there's a disconnected switch/sensor on the transmission?

Old 03-15-2023, 05:00 PM
LooseR53
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by khnitz
If you suspect one may be for the reverse lights, then the switch is likely on the transmission directly (at least from my experience with other vehicles). So, maybe there's a disconnected switch/sensor on the transmission?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUSWdXg55s
It was just an observation I made about the car. I’m unsure if I have plate light bulbs as well.

Those plugs could be from anything, but I would guess it’s not anything too important, because the only code I’ve recently had is the unmetered air one.

The following users liked this post:
khnitz (03-15-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 07:58 AM
megaDan
4th Gear
Received 192 Likes on 121 Posts
Oil pressure sender sensor. Attaches at the back of the oil filter housing.

The following 2 users liked this post by megaDan:
ECSTuning (03-17-2023), LooseR53 (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 10:17 AM
LooseR53
2nd Gear
Well ****, I’ll look at it today. Do you think when I was driving around with that unplugged it might have damaged something, or is it just for the signal?

Theres something back there that is “rewired” so maybe that’s why it’s not plugged in.

Originally Posted by megaDan
Oil pressure sender sensor. Attaches at the back of the oil filter housing.

Old 03-16-2023, 04:29 PM
LooseR53
2nd Gear
I worked on the car quite a bit today.

I found that the heat shield that sits over the header had broken off on one side, I added some washers to both sides, fixed that. I’m kind of hoping that’s what was making all the damn rattling…🤦🏼‍♂️

I got the stock crank pulley off and it didn’t fall apart, seemed ok, so it wasn’t that.

I dunno what’s going on with my oil pressure sensor. One of the *9 owners(She’s promiscuous boys) didn’t know what the hell he was doing I guess. I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Anyone know where this plug goes?

I’m still trying to find the gray one a home.
​​​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by LooseR53:
Daftlad (03-17-2023), khnitz (03-16-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 05:06 AM
Daftlad
4th Gear
Received 203 Likes on 163 Posts
One of the *9 owners(She’s promiscuous boys)

The stock OEM sensor provides signal for the idiot light. Looks like one of the car's many suitors installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge which being the cheap bastard he was, collected it prior to selling the car on. The question will be where he wired it in for power so now you get to go find that out and remove it, or if sound, install your own sensor and gauge, or restore it to factory with another OEM style sensor.

Before doing any of that though, good opportunity to remove the current sensor, connect up a hand held OP gauge and see what you're actually running for oil pressure on the car.

I got the stock crank pulley off and it didn’t fall apart, seemed ok, so it wasn’t that.
You know what to do though. Get rid of that thing, only a matter of time before it blows up and leaves you stranded, in limp mode at best. Get a fluid filled SFI/PRW if you can find one, or an ATI:

Factory diameter:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ng&keyword=ATI
2% oversize:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...oper/year/2006

Here's what happens when you don't, my car at ~50K miles:

Last edited by Daftlad; 03-17-2023 at 05:11 AM.
LooseR53 (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 05:57 AM
LooseR53
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Daftlad

The stock OEM sensor provides signal for the idiot light. Looks like one of the car's many suitors installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge which being the cheap bastard he was, collected it prior to selling the car on. The question will be where he wired it in for power so now you get to go find that out and remove it, or if sound, install your own sensor and gauge, or restore it to factory with another OEM style sensor.

Before doing any of that though, good opportunity to remove the current sensor, connect up a hand held OP gauge and see what you're actually running for oil pressure on the car.

You know what to do though. Get rid of that thing, only a matter of time before it blows up and leaves you stranded, in limp mode at best. Get a fluid filled SFI/PRW if you can find one, or an ATI:

Factory diameter:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ng&keyword=ATI
2% oversize:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...oper/year/2006

Here's what happens when you don't, my car at ~50K miles:

Ill buy a stock oil pressure sensor and try to turn it back to stock at some point most likely, I don’t have any lights from it so, I’m not gonna touch it for now.

I already have the ATI 2% on the car my guy.

Since I’ve bought this POS about 2 months ago.

*Intercooler couplers
*Tensioner dampener
*rubber grommets under the MSD box
*NGK Iridiums
*15% boost pulley
*2% overdrive
*Idler pulley
*Fuel system vac line
*CCV valve
*Found a loose intercooler horn bolt(left side near the vac line.)
*Fixed heat shield
*New belt and some injector wiring fixed(Stealership)

I’ve decided to name the car after my ex wife, since it wants to keep fighting me.

I’m going to start it again today and either have a really good day, or a really bad day.

Old 03-17-2023, 06:31 AM
megaDan
4th Gear
Received 192 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by LooseR53

Anyone know where this plug goes?

I’m still trying to find the gray one a home.
Power steering fan.

Didn't realize you were local-ish. Welcome to the club of misery. If you're prepared for it and expecting the worst, there's nothing more satisfying than tearing into a neglected R53, building your to-do list and laughing at all of the POs mistakes.

If you're expecting a good used car when buying a mini....there's few things more disappointing. Which is why I only buy the neglected ones...and generally for high triple, low low low quadruple figures :D

LooseR53 (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 06:59 AM
LooseR53
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by megaDan
Power steering fan.

Didn't realize you were local-ish. Welcome to the club of misery. If you're prepared for it and expecting the worst, there's nothing more satisfying than tearing into a neglected R53, building your to-do list and laughing at all of the POs mistakes.

If you're expecting a good used car when buying a mini....there's few things more disappointing. Which is why I only buy the neglected ones...and generally for high triple, low low low quadruple figures :D
Yeah I for sure overpaid for this car. That being said the used car market has been wack since covid.

lmk when the Mini meet is