Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

coolant over transmission, dreaded thermostat housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 03:36 PM
BoomerDC
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
coolant over transmission, dreaded thermostat housing

I am looking to replace this being I took it out of storage and half way home, it developed a coolant leak.. I have deemed it must be from the thermostat housting.

what is a good brand to get away with? rock auto has a few under $100 and a transfer pipe, I was going to get a kit that comes with the updated wiring from 1 into 2, I just dont want a crap brand that is known to fail

I watched some vids on it, seems relatively easy except that xfer tube clip under the intake.
any other things I should know before I invent new cuss words working on this thing, again?

Old 05-10-2023, 03:52 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 576 Likes on 432 Posts
As a former n14 owner best piece of advice I can give you is use oem thermostat and crossover pipe, and yes replace both at the same time. It’s also cheaper to pick up a gallon of mini coolant and gallon of distilled water and mix yourself, you will need almost the full 2 gallons. I replaced my crossover pipe, first time, with a rein that leaked a year later, so the second time I replaced water pump, cross over, and thermostat all oem and everything was leak free.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:27 AM
MacMini34
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerDC
I watched some vids on it, seems relatively easy except that xfer tube clip under the intake.
any other things I should know before I invent new cuss words working on this thing, again?
Oh you'll develop some new cuss words for sure.

There are 5 hoses that connect to the thermostat. They were quite hard to get off using vice grips on my 2011 since I presume this was its first rodeo. I did get some fancy hose pliers along the way. Beware the line that feeds to the turbo, we managed to snap it at the T junction.

The cursed crossover pipe. Some remove the inlet manifold for access but with long arms and a stout back you can reach underneath the inlet. Old pipe broke coming out of the water pump so be sure to find all debris. Some Vaseline on the O-ring and a very firm push got the replacement in. The magic clip, it went on quite easily for my kid who was helping - I'll hire him out for a modest fee since he has the 'touch" 8).

Now you'll find much debate about the pipe on here - some have had no problems with non-MINI branded and others less so. But this part has always perplexed me. ECS's price for MINI is $90 - for a plastic pipe. There are 7(!) aftermarket parts ranging in price from $14 to $26. I do not believe there are 8 factories churning out these brands. So who makes the MINI branded one? If you go to RockAuto you'll find 2 additional brand names. The one I put in was made in Turkey - after 18 months and 2000 miles I have a slight leak at the thermostat connection - maybe it's the thermostat at fault here - I haven't been able to see clearly enough who is the culprit. Still procrastinating about what to do.

Some lads in Italy make a metal pipe. It will cost about $220 to get it to the USA depending on Euro to $US exchange rate.

Good luck! Let us know what new words you come up with.

cheers
MacMini34

Old 05-10-2023, 04:07 PM
BoomerDC
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thank you for the replies, I was thinking the same thing about makers. who really makes the OEM? rock auto has some Tstat housings that come with the adaptor plug, ECS wants $125 for the housing and $45 for the adaptor, x pipe is a toss up, I have it down to I am ready to pull the hoses, the many vids helped. I am going to attempt to leave the intake on, it may make a brief exit if it gets difficult to put on.