Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56 crossover water coolant pipe alternative "solution"

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 03:02 PM
tomr56
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 crossover water coolant pipe alternative "solution"

Hello to all

If you want to skip why I did this start at number 2.
1. So a good week ago my water pipe started leaking coolant for the second time. So like the first time I ordered new water pipe with bigger oring from ebay (last time I founded a thread here where this was the best solution and it worked). But when I was finished I said too my self that it has too be a better way. I looked up for the aluminium water pipe, but the price was quite big 160€ or something like that, especially when you still have too rely on that o'ring which in original it isn't even a standard size hence you have to get it from dealership.

2. I drew a part in the pictures. The part goes in the hole on the water pump side and then allows connection to the thermostat with 42mm inside diameter hose. Hose length is custom cut to the size about 2-3 cm longer then water pipe. (I went with rubber hose since it's still flexible enough and way more easy too find in my country).

​​​​

3. If you decide to go that way then here is how I did it:
I. buy a metal glue with minimum temperature up to 150°C or bigger (I went with mannol glue), thermostat gasket, intake manifold gasket, hose clamps 40-60 mm, coolant hose id 42mm od 51mm and some kind of lubricant for hose assembly,
II. then remove old water pipe and unbolt intake manifold (you don't have to remove it).
III. before installing the part clean surfaces with break cleaner,
IV. before installing the part PLEASE practice installation (you don't want too leave glue everywhere). Maybe this seems silly, but simulate applying glue and then the part multiple times,
V. when you are ready install part (apply generous amount of glue on the short side and with bigger amount of glue towards middle of the part - you want to cover the whole surface that goes into the hole),
VI. wait for glue to fully hardened,
VII. before installing hose (cut 2-3 cm longer then water pipe) you will have to sand down position pin on thermostat housing and remove oring (I did remove it, you can also try with leaving it on).
VIII. when installing hose 1. lubricate everything, 2. put it through cables, 3. put on clamps but don't tighten obviously, 4. push hose on thermostat and clamp it (after the wider side), 5. make sure you will have access to clamp after installation, 6. push the hose on the part and clamp it (push it till the thermostat is on the block), 7. install the thermostat and other hoses, 8. fill the coolant and make sure there aren't any leaks, if they are tighten clamps, 9. assemble the rest and bleed the system.

4. Observe the water level some days to make sure it's not leaking coolant. You also want to rev the car occasionally.

5. I have this modification on my car for a week now and so far so good. I will post more pictures after my stethoscope camera arrives, since I didn't take almost none.

6. If anyone it's also interested let me know and I'll will also post drawing for the part.

I just share this and I'm not responsible for any damage that you can do to your vehicle.

Old 06-21-2023, 05:08 PM
Yoshimura 1
5th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
Where did you obtain the aluminum piece

Old 06-22-2023, 03:37 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,476 Posts
Not sure if I would trust “glue” over a plastic part… A better solution would be to weld that piece into the water pump port.

Good thing ECS now has an aluminum pipe option.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 07:41 AM
Yoshimura 1
5th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
Absolutely 💯💯💯💯 I just put a few in my cart......

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (06-22-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 12:59 AM
tomr56
Neutral
Originally Posted by Yoshimura 1
Where did you obtain the aluminum piece
Hi, I did not buy it but I gave it fabricated to a machine shop. Here is the plan I used. But before I would check the hole diameter. Mine was 40.42 mm. Its a bit of a pain to check it. I don't know the type of aluminium, but since the shop which did this for me, makes parts for large auto makers I did not bother with that.

Old 06-28-2023, 01:08 AM
tomr56
Neutral
Well for now its still all good and I didn't want to take engine out. But the piece sits in there by it self. Glue is mainly for sealing purpose and that the piece doesn't fall out when its time for another thermostat change. Tension from pipe is pushing it against block all the time. If it fails then off course I will weld it. I will post more pictures, but that camera still didn't arrived.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:13 AM
GsxR1000
2nd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
tomr56,

Congratulations on an excellent potential solution for allowing replacement of plastic water-pipe with normal coolant hose! Please continue to let us know how you make out.

Fwiw - I've also wondered why mini engineers selected a plastic pipe solution over a normal coolant-hose, of even an aluminum water-pipe that is now available.

I bet a bead of jb-weld (2-part epoxy) could be use to secure your aluminum adapter into block behind water-pump.

Regards,