Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Burnt Smell?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 11:32 AM
NTHUSIAST
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burnt Smell?

Ok, so I know that several people have been having problems with their MINI's in the cold. I have an 04 MCS and live in Chicago area.

Over the past couple months I have noticed that there is an additional whining sound during accelleration in the cold (even after engine has warmed all the way up). This is NOT supercharger related, I am well aware of that sound (and love it, of course). The weird thing is, the sound seems to be more prevalent in first gear than any other. In fact anything higher than 3rd gear, and it is hard to hear - even when listening for it.

In addition to this new whining sound, I'm also getting a burning smell. I have had the car for about 17 months (22K miles), so it's not related to any of the exhaust coatings etc. Whenever I drive the car for more than say 15 minutes or so, I notice a burned rubber/clutch smell when I pull into the garage.

I had my entire transmission replaced, under warranty, at 11K miles. And I have had the much discussed clutch rattle since about 4,500 miles. My concern is that now I am going to need a whole new clutch assembly, and I'm just waiting for the dealer to inform me that it's not under warranty.

I have driven manual transmissions my entire life. I had a Honda Civic DelSol Si that I took to over 135K miles on the original clutch before selling it. And the clutch was still perfect on it. I have never abused my MCS, and I take great care of it (always let it warm up etc).

Anyone have any ideas what this might be? Anyone had similiar experiences?

Thanks

NTHUSIAST

Old 01-25-2005, 12:07 PM
kramseib
3rd Gear
I would think at 22K miles you shouldn't be having any "new car" burn in smell. And the whining....may be a good thing?

Hmmm? Did you fart?

Old 01-25-2005, 02:12 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NTHUSIAST
Ok, so I know that several people have been having problems with their MINI's in the cold. I have an 04 MCS and live in Chicago area.

Over the past couple months I have noticed that there is an additional whining sound during accelleration in the cold (even after engine has warmed all the way up). This is NOT supercharger related, I am well aware of that sound (and love it, of course).

Hmmm... alternator "whine" coming thru the speakers? Do you leave your radio "always on", even if turned down??

In addition to this new whining sound, I'm also getting a burning smell. I have had the car for about 17 months (22K miles), so it's not related to any of the exhaust coatings etc. Whenever I drive the car for more than say 15 minutes or so, I notice a burned rubber/clutch smell when I pull into the garage.

If the source of the smell is the car (rather than the garage ) I think you'd sleep better at night if you at least talked to a service tech. about it. I think something sinister may be afoot.

I had my entire transmission replaced, under warranty, at 11K miles. And I have had the much discussed clutch rattle since about 4,500 miles. My concern is that now I am going to need a whole new clutch assembly, and I'm just waiting for the dealer to inform me that it's not under warranty.

I have driven manual transmissions my entire life. I had a Honda Civic DelSol Si that I took to over 135K miles on the original clutch before selling it. And the clutch was still perfect on it.

You don't seem like you're trying to pull a fast one here, at all. Whining sound and yucky smell though... at the risk of repeating myself I would get that looked at.

I have never abused my MCS, and I take great care of it (always let it warm up etc).
NTHUSIAST
Off-topic slightly, but -
From the (2005, all models) Owner's Manual: When starting the engine, do not press the accelerator pedal. Do not let the engine warm up with the vehicle at a standstill. Move off immediately at a moderate engine speed.

Just some (junk)food for thought,
Tatt

Old 01-25-2005, 02:20 PM
fred3
4th Gear
The whining sound...

Originally Posted by NTHUSIAST

Over the past couple months I have noticed that there is an additional whining sound during accelleration in the cold (even after engine has warmed all the way up). This is NOT supercharger related, I am well aware of that sound (and love it, of course). The weird thing is, the sound seems to be more prevalent in first gear than any other. In fact anything higher than 3rd gear, and it is hard to hear - even when listening for it.

I have driven manual transmissions my entire life. I had a Honda Civic DelSol Si that I took to over 135K miles on the original clutch before selling it. And the clutch was still perfect on it. I have never abused my MCS, and I take great care of it (always let it warm up etc).

Anyone have any ideas what this might be? Anyone had similiar experiences?

Thanks

NTHUSIAST
at least as I read it in that silly little book they gave us with the car(very humorous sarcasm-not to be take seriously, the ahhh, oh yeah...the owners manual, is the power assist motor. I hear mine in first too. Least wise that's what the book says. It also says that is normal. Now whether or not we're hearing the same identical whining noise is anyones guess.

The burning smell might, and I say might, be your emergency brake is frozen so that the pads are making just enough contact to give that old homey smell, but that one I'd take to a service dude to check out. Luck.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:45 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Don't worry about the burnt rubber smell. The reason I say that is that I have that almost all the time.

You know what it is? the brakes, my clutch and the tires. I ride the hell out of all of them so when I get into the garage I can smell the clutch and the brakes and it is a normall occurance.

The only other possiblity for you is that you have a plastic bag or other plastic item caught up under the car somewhere and the heat generated by your car is melting it.

Chris

Old 02-04-2005, 12:52 PM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
Re: Burnt Smell

I’m with MINI USA. I’m sorry to read about these problems with your MINI. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI or email us at MINI.Assistance@askMINIUSA.COM and mention Reference # 200503500460 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:09 AM
ElonCooper
3rd Gear
Burn smell. Interesting someone else mentioned the same thing I experience. Outside you don't even smell it, but once you pull in the garage and get out, you're like dang, did I just roast something. I had this problem on my Durango, thought it was rearend trouble, everything was fine (smelled only during winter time). Now, I've got this MINI, new snow tires, when I pull in the garage, exact same smell (only during winter time, and on the new snow tires). Next time you get out, bend down and smell your rear tires (may look goofy), but you'll probably smell it really strong at the rear tires, not the clutch. I thought too that the rear brakes were hanging up, but I could actually touch my rotors, and they were not that hot at all, just barely warm. So, two cars, same smell, only during winter, only when there is sand, grit, chemicals for ice left over on the road. The only things I can attribute this smell too is the tires/rubber (maybe the brakes), and maybe the salt chemical burning off the exhaust. I don't know if it is the grit/chemical residue left on the road, the tire compound in winter, etc., but if you come up with something keep us informed.