Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Now up to V.40?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 06:01 PM
plugot
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now up to V.40?

I just heard that MINI has now gone to V.40 to try to correct the idle issue created by V.39. Anyone had this flash? If so, what's your reaction to it. Has anyone had their dealer tell them when it would be generally available. Like so many others, I was doing pretty well with V.36 (what's a little yo-yo between friends?) but with the reflash to 39 I've got the occasional lumpy idle. Just curious whether I should wait until my car needs its 10k service or go in sooner. I'd like to move up to a MTH chip, but no sense doing it now if it's going to get wiped out.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:56 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by plugot
I just heard that MINI has now gone to V.40 to try to correct the idle issue created by V.39. Anyone had this flash? If so, what's your reaction to it. Has anyone had their dealer tell them when it would be generally available. Like so many others, I was doing pretty well with V.36 (what's a little yo-yo between friends?) but with the reflash to 39 I've got the occasional lumpy idle. Just curious whether I should wait until my car needs its 10k service or go in sooner. I'd like to move up to a MTH chip, but no sense doing it now if it's going to get wiped out.
plugot --

No doubt MINI will be releasing future ECU software versions until the switch-over to the new models/engines. My MCS is running quite well with V.39.x and I have not been afflicted with the issues that some have reported. I will probably stick with my current ECU version until a new one has been vetted by our "community" and has been proven to be a vast improvement.

The MTH product is not a chip; it is a set of software-based A/F mappings that can be loaded into your current ECU software. MTH includes a rudimentary program (CarTune) to download your existing ECU version and its maps to an archive file on your laptop/computer and to upload that ECU version with the new MTH maps back to your ECU. It should be noted that the price of the MTH software (~$75 USD) does not include a necessary Serial/USB OBC3 interface cable (~$130 USD). However, someone may have the appropriate cable in your area and be willing to loan it to you.

I consider one of the most valuable features of the MTH product to be the ability to archive the various ECU versions and maps. Theoretically, one could have archived all the V.3X versions and be able to load/remove them to/from their MINI at will. In light of this, you could archive your V.39.x ECU version and original maps and then upload the V.39.x ECU version with the new MTH maps. This would then mean that your archive would contain two file sets: one containing the MINI V.39.x file/maps and one containing the V.39.x file with the MTH maps. Then, you could have MINI install the V.40 software, archive that for safe-keeping, and have MTH enhance the MINI V.40 files with new mappings (for free) and upload/archive that enhanced file set.

Thus, your archive would then contain four file sets: one containing the MINI V.39.x files, one containing the MTH-enhanced V.39.x files, one containing the MINI V.40 files and one containing the MTH-enhanced V.40 files. The ability of the CarTune program to upload and download any archive file set (an unlimited number of times) allows you to be able to choose from the four (or more) different ECU versions at will! Also, you can go back to the "official" MINI version any time you want.

FWIW,

Theo

Old 01-26-2005, 12:20 PM
plugot
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great explanation! Thanks Theo

Old 01-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
ughk, I'll wait another 2 weeks until V.394,853 is released

Old 01-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
ughk, I'll wait another 2 weeks until V.394,853 is released
LOL

It actually would be funny if it wasn't partly true!

Theo