Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Hey julianvh That rattle might be...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 04:40 PM
wainair
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the hatch latch. Some of the folks on Roadfly had a rattling sound in the backs of their MINIs and found if they wrapped some black electrical tape around the chrome D-ring that the hatch latches to the rattle went away. You might want to try that. The easy fix is always the best one. :smile:

Old 06-26-2002, 05:05 PM
julianvh
3rd Gear
I will try that, beacause everything else fail...

Old 06-27-2002, 07:32 PM
julianvh
3rd Gear
Tks that electrical tape fix the noise, but is not what i expected from a BMW/Mini, y call the dealer and explain them my solition is power coted with polipropilen paint, is like a plastic paint... that will fix the contact between metals and also will look a lot better, I sugest we all ask for that, and force them to correctthat on future models.

Old 07-23-2002, 01:32 PM
andrew
3rd Gear
Remembered this post. I had same problem. Noise was driving me crazy. Went to dealer and they wanted to set appointment for next week and didn't even look at it........

MINI US said there is not a fix scheduled at this time. I used some silver duct tape and it seems to have fixed the problem. In the heat I am sure the tape adhesive, regardless of what you use will be an issue. At least the silver duct color matches the D ring color !!!!!

Hopefully this will work for an extended period until MINI realizes they have an issue. They did record my complaint in my record and may be gathering numbers in order to issue a service bulletin.........Not great, but the system.........

Old 07-25-2002, 02:13 PM
andrew
3rd Gear
Tape Worked fantastic.......amazing that noise did not exist for 2,000 plus miles at all !!! :smile:

Old 07-29-2002, 06:10 PM
tuxedoj
Neutral
The hatch problem. I've had it, I know what it is and I know how to fix it. My MINI service guys greased up the latch ring and the locking portion. That fixes it. It was very hot a few weeks ago, my car is black and the heat melted the grease. The noise came back. Went back to the service guys, they re-greased and no more noise. That has been the biggest gripe with my MINI. It tends to have little noises. I've had a problem with a rattle in my driver's side door. They haven't solved that one comepletely yet. These are small potatoes considering the rest of the joy this car has brought me.

Old 08-01-2002, 10:22 PM
Nolan
2nd Gear
the hatch is defective on the early minis....just take it to your dealer...I took mine in and there were 3 other minis there with the same problem....they fixed it in a day and gave me a free loaner....not a squick or rattle since....