Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

ECU reset question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Xman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU reset question

Well, I just got back from the dealer (3 and a half hour away), for servicing and to take care of the V39 recall.
After they were done with the car, I did a 21.0 reset of the ECU, followed by a short aggressive drive to make sure the V39 software would work correctly.
The car runs fine and I think I even get better gas mileage, except for one little detail:
Now the car has the 10 mph automatic door lock, which I never had before and cannot stand
Is there any way to change it back with the odometer reset button (like a 21.0 ECU reset), or only a dealer can take care of it ??

Old 01-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
sorry, but that is a dealer only code option. you will have to take it back to have them take it out. see even the easy stuff they do, they get wrong. i wonder how some states let dealers stay in buisness. what happens when they do not tighten bolts!! now minidivision will pop up and say sorry with a ref. number that is no good to you anyways. they should pay us each time they get something wrong and we have to bring the car back!

Old 01-27-2005, 03:00 PM
virafp
3rd Gear

Ok...explain the 21.0 reset issue and how it helps. What do you do? I have the V3.9 as well, but did not do any kind of reset....Thanks in advance

Viraf

Old 01-27-2005, 04:48 PM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same question. I read the instructions for getting to option 21 but how do you cause it to execute it? Do you just got to test 21.0 and let it sit for a moment and then turn the ignition off?

Instructions to access the OBC are here (but not clear for the reset):

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?f..._obc_functions

Old 01-27-2005, 11:50 PM
Xman
3rd Gear
Thanks agokart, and that's not all.

When I made the appointment 3 weeks ago, I gave them a detail list of what needed to be fixed, one of them being a front fog light.
After driving 3 1/2 hours, spent the night in a Hotel, I get back to the dealer the next day to find out they don't have the bulb in stock!!!....Being a reasonable person, I then suggest they send me the bulb when they get it, and I'll pay my local mechanic to do it (I should get a $40 credit for that since it's under warranty) to which they reapply: "can't do! it has to be done here...we can't just ship stuff around!" The audacity!!! I then reminded my SA about my drive, my Hotel room, and inquired about the purpose of sending a "to do" list.....so they agreed to send me the bulb when they get it (how generous!).
I called my SA again about the door lock screw up today, and all I get is a "sorry, you'll just have to come here to get it changed!".....yeah, they really feel my pain.
My SA told me they were the highest rated dealer for servicing.....not after my report!
I don't mind little screw ups, it happens, I'm a very reasonable man, I understand. What I CAN"T stand is the attitude.

Allright, enough venting....

virafp,

For the 21.0 reset, check out the bottom of this page (from cooper4us and Ryephile).

petecrosby,

It took me a few times to get the reset, I wasn't sure what to do when I got to 21 either. Just let it sit and it will reset (you'll hear some noise and the speedo needle will vibrate for a second) and then turn off the ignition.
The first time I got to 21.0, I pressed the odometer button again but nothing happened....so I presume the one with the noise and stuff is the correct way.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:51 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xman
petecrosby,

It took me a few times to get the reset, I wasn't sure what to do when I got to 21 either. Just let it sit and it will reset (you'll hear some noise and the speedo needle will vibrate for a second) and then turn off the ignition.
The first time I got to 21.0, I pressed the odometer button again but nothing happened....so I presume the one with the noise and stuff is the correct way.
Xman, thanks for the info. That is just what I needed.

P.S. Anyone know why there isn't an FAQ (other than message board issues) here like on MINI2? It sure would be nice to have a centralized repository of information like this.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:50 AM
leon's rocket car
Banned
difference with an 04

Originally Posted by Xman
I did an 2004 yesterday and the menu was different than my 05. With the 05, the menu with as the instructions on the thread mentioned above. When I got to 21 I just there at in about 2 seconds, the quote above was true.

Now the 2004 was confusing cuz I was getting 1.x, 1.x an so on. Not sure what we did, but finally got out of that do loop and went into the regular menu and did the 21 vibrate