Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mini Automatic Shifting Boot

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 05:31 PM
tmdobson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello All,

I just went rounds with Mini Corporate about adding an alarm to my Mini Cooper. I was originally told it could only be a Mini Certified alarm/auto starter and when I found a court case that stated just the opposite, they changed their message. Well, I had a first class company put in a top rated alarm (CompuStar Alam/Starter). They did a great job, but the installer said he could not get the shifter boot back on properly and I can't seem to either. Part of it glues onto the side of the wall (flat) while 3/4 of it glues to the rounded wall. The glue he used does not stick and with the humidity it has just come completely up.

What or how can I glue this boot back on properly? Do I have to order another boot or is someting wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Todd - Mini-Montreal [LIST]

Old 06-26-2002, 07:19 PM
sirron
5th Gear
>>Hello All,
>>My auto shifter boot came unglued, I fixed it myself by cutting a length of electric wire with a plastic coating on it....just regular fine electric wire . I put the boot back in place then gently pushed the wire into the gap, just like a big "O" ring.( about 1/8'') the boot has held up just fine since. Just be careful not to scar the boot.... use a piece of plastic with a soft edge to push the wire in. the glue will not stick and there's not enough material to do it any other way. I used to upholster Jaguar armrests years ago and am an artist and sculptor but have done upholstery and other such wonderful things. Ron. P.S. I was at the dealer today to replace my zapper key (lost) $157 + tax, and they had an automatic with the same problem.

>>I just went rounds with Mini Corporate about adding an alarm to my Mini Cooper. I was originally told it could only be a Mini Certified alarm/auto starter and when I found a court case that stated just the opposite, they changed their message. Well, I had a first class company put in a top rated alarm (CompuStar Alam/Starter). They did a great job, but the installer said he could not get the shifter boot back on properly and I can't seem to either. Part of it glues onto the side of the wall (flat) while 3/4 of it glues to the rounded wall. The glue he used does not stick and with the humidity it has just come completely up.
>>
>>What or how can I glue this boot back on properly? Do I have to order another boot or is someting wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>
>>Todd - Mini-Montreal [LIST]

Old 07-04-2002, 03:26 AM
majorfracas
1st Gear
I just had the same problem fixed at my dealer. The service guy used some 3M all-weather glue that he says they use on convertible tops (BMW, not MINI...yet). In any case, this is not the same glue they use at the factory, apparently.

Since it was just fixed, I can't tell you this is permanent. Check back with me in a couple months.