Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

No high beam - FWM reprogrammed

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 07:52 AM
neillw
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No high beam - FWM reprogrammed

2012 Mini Clubman One - RHD - UK

Hey all,
I'm from the UK but I'm having no luck on the UK forums so I'm hoping you guys across the pond may be able to help as it seems from reading posts here you have more experience with faulty footwell modules.

I have just replaced the clutch on my clubman and after putting everything back together I had the symptoms of a dead FWM, No indicators, electric windows, head lights staying on, no interior lights etc.
The clutch was changed by dropping the subframe so I've not touched any of the front end of the car, no front service mode etc.
I had the FWM reprogrammed and everything works again except I have no high beam and the main beam turns off.

The blue high beam icon flashes on the dashboard when you move the stalk so I think that's ruled out.
I have warning lights on the dash for bulbs out etc.
I have factory fitted spotlights ( High Beam ) which I've unplugged and tested with a multimeter and there is no voltage getting to the those.
The main lights come on when the ignition is on but If I start the car they go off after a short period of time, I'm presuming the FWM is detecting a problem and closing the circuit.
I have xenon headlamps and they still nod when the ignition is turned on.

I have two questions really.
Could the FWM have been incorrectly programmed and is displaying a short circuit when there isn't one?
I may have stretched the wires that lead from the harness underneath the engine fusebox down to the Xenon light level sensor, if so would this knock out the entire front light system? ( Wires are not split but possibly stretched inside )

At the moment I feel like I'm running round in circles because I could be looking for a short circuit that doesn't actually exist and it may be a faulty FWM or incorrect programming.

CC-ID 88 Dipped Beam Left Failure
CC-ID 89 Dipped Beam Right Failure
CC-ID 115 Reverse Light Right Failure
CC-ID 128 Left High Beam Failure
CC-ID 130 Right High Beam Failure
CC-ID 134 Right Brake Light Failure - FALSE - Both brake lights and the roof brake light are working
CC-ID 136 Left Brake Light Failure - FALSE - Both brake lights and the roof brake light are working

FAULT CODES.

A8C2 FRM: Reversing light, right, faulty frm_70 Driver's side footwell module
A8C2 LM: E63/E64/E65: front left direction indicator 2 faulty; E60/E61: left brake light 2 faulty; RR US: rear left direction indicator 2 faulty lm_ahl_2 Lights Module

A8BF FRM: Rear fog light/adaptive brake light, left, faulty frm_70 Driver's side footwell module

A8AA FRM: Dipped beam, left, faulty frm_70 Driver's side footwell module
A8AA LM: Dipped beam, left, faulty lm_ahl_2 Lights Module

A8AB FRM: Dipped beam, right, faulty frm_70 Driver's side footwell module
A8AB LM: Dipped beam, right, faulty lm_ahl_2 Lights Module

A8B7 FRM: Brake light, right, faulty frm_70 Driver's side footwell module
A8B7 FRM: MINI: Right daytime driving lights faulty frm_70 Driver's side footwell module
A8B7 FRM: MINI: Fog light faulty on left or right frm_70 Driver's side footwell module
A8B7 LM: Brake light, centre, faulty lm_ahl_2 Lights Module

A8B6 FRM: Brake light, left, faulty frm_70 Driver's side footwell module
A8B6 FRM: MINI: Left daytime driving lights faulty frm_70 Driver's side footwell module
A8B6 FRM: MINI: Daytime driving light faulty on left or right frm_70 Driver's side footwell module
A8B6 LM: Brake light, right, faulty lm_ahl_2 Lights Module

A8A9 FRM: High beam/turn-off light, right, faulty frm_70 Driver's side footwell module
A8A9 LM: High beam/turn-off light, right, faulty lm_ahl_2 Lights Module

A8A8 FRM: High beam/turn-off light, left, faulty frm_70 Driver's side footwell module
A8A8 LM: High beam/turn-off light, left, faulty lm_ahl_2 Lights Module

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by neillw; 06-22-2024 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:48 AM
Maybe, maybe not
3rd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Starting with the basics, have you tested voltage to and from 40A FRM fuses F52 & F53?

Did you rule out blown bulbs?

Last edited by Maybe, maybe not; 06-21-2024 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2024, 01:06 PM
neillw
Neutral
Originally Posted by Maybe, maybe not
Starting with the basics, have you tested voltage to and from 40A FRM fuses 52 & 53?

Did you rule out blown bulbs?
I've tested the spotlight bulbs directly from the battery, both are working but there's no voltage to the connector.
I've not checked any fuses as I thought the FWM controlled the high beam, I'll take a look at that next.

EDIT - Just seen that the fuses are for the FWM
Both fuses are intact.
Voltage checked both fine.

Many thanks

Last edited by neillw; 06-21-2024 at 02:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Maybe, maybe not (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 01:57 PM
Maybe, maybe not
3rd Gear
There are two additional FRM fuses (F4 & F8), but they seem to power only the FRM power window functions.

Old 06-21-2024, 03:24 PM
Maybe, maybe not
3rd Gear
The next step is to determine whether battery voltage from F52 and F53 reaches pin 34 in FRM connector X14261 and pin 2 in FRM connector X14260. Also inspect the two pins for corrosion.

Old 06-22-2024, 04:23 AM
neillw
Neutral
Thanks, I'll try that next.

Originally Posted by Maybe, maybe not
The next step is to determine whether battery voltage from F52 and F53 reaches pin 34 in FRM connector X14261 and pin 2 in FRM connector X14260. Also inspect the two pins for corrosion.

Old 06-22-2024, 07:40 PM
Maybe, maybe not
3rd Gear
Depending on the results of your voltage tests, you also may find this circuit diagram useful.

Old 06-23-2024, 12:27 PM
Maybe, maybe not
3rd Gear
You'll possibly be interested in this bimmerfest thread.

It appears that If you have short to ground in the headlight or other light circuit, it must be repaired (obviously) and then you also must reset the short error in the FRM.

Old 06-24-2024, 04:03 AM
neillw
Neutral
Cheers, I saw that thread, I've downloaded BMW standard and advanced tools, I think they contain Toolset32.
I'll be ordering some voltage and continuity tools today to try and do the job properly, I've also found a used FRM module with exactly the same part number as mine which I'm going to try to see if the problem persists with another module.

The following users liked this post:
Maybe, maybe not (06-24-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 11:51 AM
neillw
Neutral
I tried another FWM today and the problem is still there so I think I can rule out a incorrectly programmed FWM.
Tomorrow I'll check the continuity from the head light level sensor to the footwell module, that is showing as a fault and I think I may have stretched the wires that lead from the harness under the battery, I'm not sure if these faults would knock out the entire front lighting system though?

FRM: Headlight beam height control potentiometer defective frm_70 Driver's side footwell module
9CB2 FRM: Headlight beam height control potentiometer defective frm_87 Driver's side footwell module
9CB2 LM: HVAC potentiometer faulty lm_60 Lights Module
9CB2 LM: Ride-height sensor, front, faulty lm_ahl Lights Module
9CB2 LM: Ride-height sensor, front, faulty lm_ahl_2 Lights Module
9CB2 LM: HVAC potentiometer faulty

I think it's one of these?

Old 06-26-2024, 01:16 PM
Maybe, maybe not
3rd Gear
Voltage tests would expedite your troubleshooting. Do you have a multimeter?

If you clear all codes, which ones repeat?

I'm not sure that I have the correct wiring diagrams for your UK Mini One Clubman. Is the wiring diagram below a better fit? If so, check for battery voltage at pins 4 & 5 of the high beam headlight relay and at FRM pins 6, 38, & 41 that power/control the low beam xenon headlights.

My service manual states that the high beam relay is located under the driver seat beneath carpet. Maybe it's under the passenger seat in your UK Mini.

Last edited by Maybe, maybe not; 06-26-2024 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 02:33 PM
neillw
Neutral
Brilliant, thank you.
I knew there was high beam relay hidden somewhere as I saw the fuse for it and used to hear it clicking when flashing the high beam.

Yes I have a multimeter, there's defiantly voltage getting to the main beam and dipped beam as these come on but turn off after a short period of time, I'm presuming the Footwell module thinks its detecting a fault and turns the circuit off.
Honestly I'm totally baffled by this, I really thought another module would resolve it, I just can't see how there's faults with every bulb at the front of the car, especially as they run through different parts of the car which I never tampered with when replacing the clutch.

I'll try and find that relay tomorrow.
I've not cleared any faults yet, I'll have to check that my reader can do that.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Old 06-26-2024, 02:47 PM
Maybe, maybe not
3rd Gear
I'm hoping that a faulty high beam relay explains the high beams not working.

Maybe a voltage spike originally damaged the FRM and also both control units for the xenon low beams?

Or maybe the xenon headlight control units must be reset after the FRM reprogramming?

Did you already test fuse F30?

Last edited by Maybe, maybe not; 06-26-2024 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2024, 02:20 AM
neillw
Neutral
I hope so too, who knew taking the battery off could cause so many issues..!
I've ordered a K+ DCAN Cable and going to download ista+ today and clear all the faults and see what happens, I'm wondering if the faults are stored somewhere else other than on the footwell module?
I'll test F30 today.

Thank you again

Old 06-27-2024, 04:46 AM
Maybe, maybe not
3rd Gear
Save a record of all your codes and then clear all of them. You're only interested in those that persistently return.

Before disconnecting or reconnecting the battery for any reason, I first remove the 4 FRM fuses to shield the highly sensitive FRM from potentially damaging voltage spikes.

Downloading ISTA is on my Mini to-do list. I haven't yet found a website.

On eBay, I recently purchased a Foxwell NT710, which arrives today. I have a few days with it before going out of town. That should be enough time to know whether I should keep or return.

Old 06-27-2024, 08:26 AM
neillw
Neutral
Yea I'll take a screen shot of them all.
I'm having to wheel out a desktop PC to the car as my laptops not fast enough.

I bought a copy from a website for £15.
https://www.bimmerdiagnostics.com/#x...Anchor:58AHNEc

I've sent you a PM

Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM
neillw
Neutral
Some progress....
After wasting two days trying to install ISTA and then get it to communicate with the car..what a nightmare..

Faults in the FRM / ABS and ECU, I stupidly forgot to see what the faults were in the other two as I was fixated on the FRM, I'll check them again when its a bit cooler in the car.
Anyway, plenty of faults present, I cleared the faults and so far have only the high beam fault remain there along with the Headlight level.
I'll give it a couple of days driving and see if the other faults return, in the meantime I can now focus on the highbeam connections.

sensor.