Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

GKN Brand CV Boot for R53 (2004)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2024, 05:51 PM
Mforce
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GKN Brand CV Boot for R53 (2004)

So I was doing an oil change on my R53 2004, I saw my passenger side outer boot is leaking grease. I then decided to buy the boot from FCP Euro GKN Brand ( Mini PN: 31607518259; Mfr. PN: 304707 ).

Now I have noticed that this boot looks like plastic it's flexible but not the usual rubber material, and also it's a little bit thin. The other GKN inner cv boot is made of rubber and is thick.

So is this normal? or maybe I bought a fake one? feels really plastic.

On box the outer boot says it's made in germany while the other inner cv boot is from spain.

Here's a screenshot.

Old 09-11-2024, 09:41 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Received 1,000 Likes on 616 Posts
Nope not good. I'd return it.
Even the cheapest no name brands are flexible.
I would imagine in the coming cooler temps that plastic like feeling boot may be susceptible to stress, cracking or splitting.
Oil leaks (oil filter/cooler seals) above the passenger side CV boot are a common leak on these 1st gen engines and will inevitably deteriorate the plastic as well.

Just my opinion/experience.

Old 09-12-2024, 01:53 AM
Mforce
1st Gear
Which one would you recommend? The stock mini? looks like they used the same GKN brand\manufacturer.

Here are screenshots.

then we have this from ECS... which is the same GKN, with thin boot. It says here it's MINI OEM stock part for $64 bucks.

Old 09-12-2024, 03:05 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 570 Likes on 430 Posts
How about just replace the whole thing for $72,
Amazon Amazon
, I too had this same conundrum, decided this would be easier and actually cheaper than replacing both boots.

Old 09-12-2024, 05:49 AM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Originally Posted by Mforce
So I was doing an oil change on my R53 2004, I saw my passenger side outer boot is leaking grease....
My apologies / my mistake. I misread and assumed your inner cv boot was leaking grease (hence my comment regarding boot deterioration due to oil housing leak).
Although I can't say I have a personal recommendation, I purchased and replaced mine with EMPI cv boots.
Interestingly enough, I usually buy my parts from FCP, ECS, or Outmotoring - However, neither of these reputable vendors sell EMPI. They all seem to list GKN as OE replacement.
I must have defaulted to Amazon.
GKN seems to be a reputable alternative to genuine Mini. Perhaps you may have received a "defective" boot?

Again my apologies.

Last edited by Here2Go; 09-12-2024 at 08:05 AM. Reason: corrected = 'FCP' (not FPC)
Old 09-12-2024, 05:58 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
I have noticed that in recent years CV boots and inner tie rod end covers are becoming more thin and plasticy than thick and rubbery. So this alone doesn't surprise me. But the fact that it's made in Germany on the box and made in Spain on the part is kind of a red flag.
Yes, GKN is OEM for Mini, so they're one in the same. I don't think spending $70 on a boot is worth it. I also don't think replacing the whole axle is worth it either.

Old 09-12-2024, 06:04 AM
RudeJoe
4th Gear
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Did you contact FCP to ask about the difference in material? They would know.

Old 09-13-2024, 03:59 AM
Mforce
1st Gear
The issue with these rebuilt/ refurbished/ remanufactured most of them are not balanced causing vibrations.

and a lot of people complained about this., i don’t mind taking it apart my stock mini., i am not in a hurry.

i just want a proper replacement same quality as stock or near mini stock.

i decided to buy GKN it’s because a lot people claimed it’s MIni’s OEM and based on searches i did and images posted on car part store.

I did this cv re- boot on my nissans and infinitis all of them they have this rubber material.

Old 09-13-2024, 04:07 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
The issue with these rebuilt/ refurbished/ remanufactured most of them are not balanced causing vibrations.

and a lot of people complained about this., i don’t mind taking it apart my stock mini., i am not in a hurry.

i just want a proper replacement same quality as stock or near mini stock.

i decided to buy GKN it’s because a lot people claimed it’s MIni’s OEM and based on searches i did and images posted on car part store.

I did this cv re- boot on my nissans and infinitis all of them they have this rubber material.
I’m running the same axle that I posted from the Amazon link. Haven’t had any issues, did the week of Mini’s on the Dragon, over 1500 miles, and another weekend trip down where I did 100 miles just on the Dragon. My inner boot was torn, so a little bit more work to replace that one, hence why I replaced the whole thing. To me it was just more cost effective to replace it.

Old 09-13-2024, 05:15 AM
Mforce
1st Gear
The EMPI CV BOOT you have is it more on rubbery side ? The outer cv boot.

I chose GKN because of people claimed it’s MINI/BMW ‘s OEM.

To be on the same page., imagine your R53’s stock intake tube it’s the one that goes before the air filter box… yes that’s the same feel plasticky material it resembles like that with this gkn outer cv boot… it’s not really-really plastic material., but it is stiff compared to rubber and still flexible. One guy from parts geek reviewed this specific boot….he stated that it is stiff then he mentioned it’s better than rubber… not sure what he meant by that, then he continued sayin stiff is better because of the stress it’s handling.

again here’s how i describe it the gkn outer cv boot, is more on like a plastic with a little rubbery feel, say 80% plastic and 20% rubber, it is thinner than the rubber inner cv boot. But all of the cv boots posted online stores are like that.

now for you guys who are notorious in buying only mini branded parts any recommendations on this? Is your mini brand cv boot plastic or rubber? The outer boot?

Old 09-13-2024, 05:19 AM
Mforce
1st Gear
This is why i bought the gkn brand Mini uses it as OEM.

$70 mini ( gkn ) vs $15 gkn

Maybe some can confirm this? Whether it’s rubber or plastic? Maybe the ECS or Pelican guys?

Old 09-13-2024, 05:24 AM
Mforce
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jason Cornelius;[url=tel:4683337
4683337[/url]]I’m running the same axle that I posted from the Amazon link. Haven’t had any issues, did the week of Mini’s on the Dragon, over 1500 miles, and another weekend trip down where I did 100 miles just on the Dragon. My inner boot was torn, so a little bit more work to replace that one, hence why I replaced the whole thing. To me it was just more cost effective to replace it.
I already saved that on my amazon list. Thank you.

does your axle’s outer boot rubber or plastic material?

Old 09-13-2024, 06:21 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,860 Posts
Hello,

Dont have one of those exact piece in stock. The original ones we have pictured from 2013 looks like its more rubberized. Supplier like to change things all the time and yes GKN is OEM most of the time for MINI. When i did my axle i just replaced the whole axle. That way both boots are done and a new painted drive bar, the Genuine MINI ones tend to flake and rust over time. Also did the trans fluid also while i was their. I remember the boot material was rubberized.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/31607518259/

I will check the other side and see what i find since they are in stock

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/31607518258/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-13-2024, 06:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Update 31607518258 is 100% rubberized on GKN and factory, its made in spain.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-13-2024, 07:54 AM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
The EMPI CV BOOT you have is it more on rubbery side ? The outer cv boot.
Although this shouldn't be construed as an endorsement...
Yes - the EMPI CV boots I purchased (Amazon) were thick and rubbery. It was what I expected and was very satisfied with the product.
I went back through my previous orders to review the Amazon order. However, it seems the info page has changed from what I remember.
Although Amazon states "This Fits 2004 Mini Cooper" (outer) - The seller's listing no longer mentions it in their description. But it did come with grease and axle nut which is not shown in the image.
Unfortunately, I would be reluctant to provide a link to have you avoid making a wrongful purchase.

This boot fits Outer CV joint

Notwithstanding or to disparage -
'Interesting that you've mentioned partsgeek. I had originally purchased 2wo of the replacement CV boots (EMPI), from partsgeek. When they finally arrived; the boxes were rifled, parts missing (axle nut, grease and mismatched boot clamps). Obviously a (molested) return item. I kindly emailed to inform them (with photos). Their response I received was a rather flippant "Too bad. We don't check the boxed contents of the items we sell". My claim was denied. Paypal stepped in as a resolve and was awarded a refund/return.
This is not a defamatory remark against partsgeek. Just from my experience. Other's here have stated that they've had good results purchasing from this vendor.

ECS' post stated above, may confirm what your looking for (?)

Old 09-13-2024, 08:06 AM
Mforce
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning;[url=tel:4683348
4683348[/url]]Update 31607518258 is 100% rubberized on GKN and factory, its made in spain.
Hi ecs,

yes the 31607518258 - gkn inner boot is rubber - i received the rubber material

now the german made gkn out cv boot 31607518259 i got is kinda plastic.

if we can just please check / make a comparo between the mini brand vs the gkn brand for outer boot.?

Old 09-13-2024, 08:11 AM
Mforce
1st Gear

here’s the set i got. The german made is outer and the spanish one is inner boot.

maybe they sold me fake ones? A counterfit?

Old 09-13-2024, 08:39 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
I already saved that on my amazon list. Thank you.

does your axle’s outer boot rubber or plastic material?
on the new axle they are rubber or more like oem.

Old 09-13-2024, 08:54 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea i don't have an outer here in stock to compare. The inner looks correct.

Old 09-14-2024, 02:23 AM
Mforce
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RudeJoe
Did you contact FCP to ask about the difference in material? They would know.
Not yet but I will.

Old 09-14-2024, 02:49 AM
Mforce
1st Gear
Okay guys here's my verdict I am going with these: GKN German made Plastic boots. That means the boots I got from FCP EURO are not fakes... it's really PLASTIC!!! and are made like that which is normal.

Why?

Upon careful research it is in fact\confirmed it is PLASTIC!!! oh yeah!.... from GKN themselves. This specific outer CV boot for R53 (2004) is indeed made of THERMOPLASTIC ELASTOMER ( TPE ) it's a combo of rubber and plastic just like what I described.

A lot of automotive manufacturers are now going with these materials replacing the rubber with TPE.

GKN parts catalog:

https://web.tecalliance.net/gkn-us/q...targetId:17988

And oh by the way GKN recommends specific torque when tightening the stainless steel clamps for this one it's 23-30 Nm --- check below documentation.

https://digital-assets.opticatonline...P_TPE_BOOT.pdf

Some TPE related infos:

https://triscan.dk/en/news/how-choos...ot-always-easy

Thank you again for all the help.

Old 09-14-2024, 02:59 AM
Mforce
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Here2Go
Although this shouldn't be construed as an endorsement...
Yes - the EMPI CV boots I purchased (Amazon) were thick and rubbery. It was what I expected and was very satisfied with the product.
I went back through my previous orders to review the Amazon order. However, it seems the info page has changed from what I remember.
Although Amazon states "This Fits 2004 Mini Cooper" (outer) - The seller's listing no longer mentions it in their description. But it did come with grease and axle nut which is not shown in the image.
Unfortunately, I would be reluctant to provide a link to have you avoid making a wrongful purchase.

This boot fits Outer CV joint

Notwithstanding or to disparage -
'Interesting that you've mentioned partsgeek. I had originally purchased 2wo of the replacement CV boots (EMPI), from partsgeek. When they finally arrived; the boxes were rifled, parts missing (axle nut, grease and mismatched boot clamps). Obviously a (molested) return item. I kindly emailed to inform them (with photos). Their response I received was a rather flippant "Too bad. We don't check the boxed contents of the items we sell". My claim was denied. Paypal stepped in as a resolve and was awarded a refund/return.
This is not a defamatory remark against partsgeek. Just from my experience. Other's here have stated that they've had good results purchasing from this vendor.

ECS' post stated above, may confirm what your looking for (?)

Done save in amazon cart ( for future purchase )

Old 09-14-2024, 03:10 AM
Mforce
1st Gear
GKN seems to be a reputable alternative to genuine Mini. Perhaps you may have received a "defective" boot?
It's plastic GKN made it like that. It's TPE - Thermoplastic Elastomer.

I am installing these. And yes I got the correct part. Now I can sleep.

The following users liked this post:
Here2Go (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 05:43 AM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Ah-ha...!
I'm no chemist but from my understanding...
Blending with less to no phthalates, makes thermoplastics more environmentally friendly, but not without it's drawbacks = heat (lower melting point).
It has been mentioned here before that Germany has shifted to making/manufacturing some car parts from recyclable plastic composites such as TPE.
One of the more notable complaints in particular to the Mini, that have been mentioned, are the thermostat housing made from recycled plastic (perhaps TPE?), which have a tendency to crack/leak...(Maybe due to heat?)

Interesting.
Thanks for digging in deeper.
The more we know

Old 09-14-2024, 11:51 AM
Mforce
1st Gear
Ah-ha...!
I'm no chemist but from my understanding...
Blending with less to no phthalates, makes thermoplastics more environmentally friendly, but not without it's drawbacks = heat (lower melting point).
It has been mentioned here before that Germany has shifted to making/manufacturing some car parts from recyclable plastic composites such as TPE.
One of the more notable complaints in particular to the Mini, that have been mentioned, are the thermostat housing made from recycled plastic (perhaps TPE?), which have a tendency to crack/leak...(Maybe due to heat?)

Interesting.
Thanks for digging in deeper.
The more we know
I got curious man...

Yeah I was surprised too!!! then I went ahead look for some forums about this., well the VW, Porsche and BMW guys they are shipping their new cars with these TPE boots not sure if this is true. One guy claimed his VW got this when he bought his car and it lasted 10 years.

Then there are also people having heated arguments about this rubber vs TPE boots... ha ha ha. what's the best.

For me I just wanted find out what's the real deal rubber or plastic ( TPE )... I wanted to fix the axle boot as close as MINI factory stock quality.

Quick Reply: GKN Brand CV Boot for R53 (2004)