Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

05 MCS Dash Rattle That's Really Loud

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 09:43 PM
lotsie
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence
I think Coopers rattle less than the S.
Why,except for the supercharger,and the battery in the back,not much is differentOh,fun flats,most seem to blow those off

Old 02-17-2005, 10:24 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
My rolled up business card has taken away the buzz from the speedo. I think it's the chrome. I'll try the banging on the center vent thing tomorrow Now if I could just figure out how to quiet the door rattle, I'll be home free
Or just wait for Spring & all I'll hear is the wind in my hair

Lois

Old 02-17-2005, 11:11 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by LouiefromStLou
My rolled up business card has taken away the buzz from the speedo. I think it's the chrome. I'll try the banging on the center vent thing tomorrow Now if I could just figure out how to quiet the door rattle, I'll be home free
Or just wait for Spring & all I'll hear is the wind in my hair

Lois
I guess I should think of going topless soon,as the solar collector is getting bigger on the back of my head

Old 02-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Mr.Sticky
1st Gear
My dash rattle 1st appeared on a cross country road trip. I solved it temporarily by cramming a brochure I picked up in Pigeon Forge between the dash and the windshield. I thought that might be a little low brow so I took the car to the dealership when I got home. They "could not duplicate" and I'm now out of warrenty. Woo hoo!

When I have the windshield replaced (a whole other story) what should I look for to quiet the dash? The rattle is slowly chipping away at my sanity.

That and the airbag light coming on again.

And the non-functioning passenger door lock.

And the leaking coolant reservoir.

Old 02-18-2005, 12:22 AM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Mr.Sticky
My dash rattle 1st appeared on a cross country road trip. I solved it temporarily by cramming a brochure I picked up in Pigeon Forge between the dash and the windshield. I thought that might be a little low brow so I took the car to the dealership when I got home. They "could not duplicate" and I'm now out of warrenty. Woo hoo!

When I have the windshield replaced (a whole other story) what should I look for to quiet the dash? The rattle is slowly chipping away at my sanity.

That and the airbag light coming on again.

And the non-functioning passenger door lock.

And the leaking coolant reservoir.
check the water pump,mine was leaking,slowly,but still leaking.

Outside of warrenty low brow has always worked for me.
But then this is the first car I've owned with any warrenty

Old 02-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Mr.Sticky
1st Gear
I'll check the water pump, thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, low brow may be the way to go. I have a feeling eventually this car is going to be held together with zip ties, duct tape, and liquid nail.

Old 02-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
Well it was a year ago,but I seem to remember the rattle coming right over the speedo.black part of the dash right in front of the vent.I did not vent on it to hard,but it was buzzing,and I gave it at good smart wack.Now don't hammer on it,one blow did it for me
I'm gonna try wacking it tomorrow. Thats exactly where my noise is coming from. That worked on a stubborn hard drive I had once too, so I'm optomistic!

Old 02-18-2005, 05:30 PM
lotsie
Banned
If this wacking the dash works for you folks,let me know.I think I'll go to MINI with it and see if I can get some kind of kick back

Old 02-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
If it works I'll send you cash! Why should Mini get a cut, they caused the problem!

Old 02-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Sorry Lot. I wacked it real good (my SO thought a little too good) and actually thought I had it, but its back. Apparently the 05's don't have the wackiness of the earlier models. I was gonna send you all my Canadian quarters!

Old 02-19-2005, 01:36 PM
lotsie
Banned
Oh well,maybe it's an 03 feature

Old 02-19-2005, 08:20 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there are fewer parts in the 05 dashes. however, it looks like MINI hasnt figured out how to put them together right.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
there are fewer parts in the 05 dashes. however, it looks like MINI hasnt figured out how to put them together right.
Yeah,
My car is brand new, but I'm already hearing little creaks and momentary 'pops' and such. Maybe the car is just settling in, but I forsee trouble. Like I said in another thread, with the stiff suspensions, these cars get shaken something serious. I'm not suprised rattles happen, although some of the things y'all are describing sound like pretty bad ones..

Old 02-19-2005, 09:05 PM
lotsie
Banned
I live were the roads are poor at best,I motor on lots of gravel back roads,and then throw in winter,and my MC gets pretty shook up.I had some door rattles at 30K miles that seem to have been fixed.Some may have problems with rattles,some bad,some really bad,some happen right away,some like mine,well into the ownership,but for me this car is tight.Get into something other than a MINI or beamer,for the same price,and the radio has to hurt your ears so you don't hear the pops,rattles and groans.Remember,we expect the most from these cars,think they are the best,they are,but they have the odd quirk.Some more than others,and it's to bad some have to suffer the bad points.I have had,bad tranny,bad brake computer,bad glove box,bad hatch latch, bad door handles,bad water pump,The car always starts,and when needed gets me to my dealer who takes care of the issue at hand.Sure,I should think a brand new car should have no problems,brand new in 03,but it doesn't.But the car has never let me down by not starting,even at -47F,handles like they told me it would,like it's on rails,and everytime I get in it,I know I can have fun

Old 02-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying the car and think it's great. Maybe these things loom large to me because we hear about problems out of proportion on these boards. I'm just saying I'm not suprised these cars seem proned to rattle, given the shaking they get.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:33 PM
lotsie
Banned
Go for a twisty run,keep the revs close to bounce,and then try to complain.
And ya don't have to speed to get to bounce

Old 02-19-2005, 09:49 PM
allan
1st Gear
I too have an Aug./04 build and have had madd dash rattle problems. I have stuffed cell phone leather cases, paper and a neoprene putter cover between the dash and steering wheel column. This is good until someone goes and changes the steering wheel position -- grrrr. I hear that putting foam in certain places works too. Needless to say i LOVE not hearing rattle now-- though i would love to have a more permanent fix.

Would love to hear about those 2 service bulletins out for '05 dash rattles?!

Is it me, but do the '05's ride stiffer than the '04's, i saw someone say this in an earlier post. I drove an MC40 loaner and it was beautiful and quiet while still holding the road pretty well. I asked my SA if i coudl buy the shocks and springs and he said MINI wouldnt let him sell it to me??!! -- WTF!!

anyway... does anyone this the stiffer suspension comes fromthe springs or shocks or both? I gues i can geet anyu part from Classic Mini.

thanks Allan

Old 02-20-2005, 08:58 AM
sequence
6th Gear
05s ride a bit softer

05 MCS's have a slightly more compliant ride than their counterparts 02s-04s. Many folks complained to their dealers and MUSA about the stiff rides in the previous models, so MINI softened up the ride in the 05 a tad, I'm not sure how (shocks, softer springs?), but I know it was done.

Now that the temps are in the 60s around here, no loud obnoxious rattling, only the minor creaks and buzzes that manifest on different road surfaces. Perhaps my dealer was right: it's where the dash comes into contact with the downtubes that's one culprit. We'll see. Jimbo

BTW, great thread, guys n gals!

Old 02-20-2005, 09:14 AM
allan
1st Gear
All i did was to put rubber washers(thin & black), or, rolled up black pieces of paper, tight, in between the toggles and the down tubes and that stopped the noise months ago. In fact the dealer took them out a month ago and i just notice the squeak coming back. But, i just adjust the tube (always the right side) by pushing it to the left and right once and that solves it.

allan

Old 02-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Originally Posted by allan
......anyway... does anyone this the stiffer suspension comes fromthe springs or shocks or both? I gues i can geet anyu part from Classic Mini.

thanks Allan
I think its both, plus the runflats. I've got an older body, with years of abuse (motorcycle accidents, work accidents etc.) and really couldn't handle the harshness. I didn't want to screw up the handling so went with lighter wheels and non-runflat tires. This was an expensive option but so is back surgery! Anyway, I am happy with the change. Its no cadillac but it did take the harsh edge off the potholes and expansion joints.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:49 PM
allan
1st Gear
i have the lighter rims and tires and i have a 48 year old body... i just want the rattles to end...cant wait for the service bulletins that are coming out.

thanks

Old 02-20-2005, 09:33 PM
sequence
6th Gear
HA! and to think I got flamed at last summer when I mentioned (on another forum) that owners of 05 builds are going to be "beta testers" as far as the new dash design and assembly goes. So far, mixed reviews. But if folks keep complaining, fixes should be forthcoming. Seems to me the downtubes / dash juncture is prone to rattle now, also an area under the steering column.

Mine's doing better, but I still get creaks going over expansion joints and other irregularities. Not enough to diminish the motoring experience tho. :smile: Jimbo

Old 02-20-2005, 10:59 PM
buzzy
3rd Gear
I get a really good creak when going up and down a steep driveway ramp at an angle.

Body flex can't be causing the creak can it???

Old 02-21-2005, 07:53 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by buzzy
I get a really good creak when going up and down a steep driveway ramp at an angle.

Body flex can't be causing the creak can it???
I don't think it's body flex,these are very stiff cars.Probably some interior plastic part.Get someone to ride with you who can listen for the noise.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:25 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
Re: 05 MCS Dash Rattle That's Really Loud

I’m with MINI USA. I’m sorry to read about your problem with your dash rattle. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI or email us at MINI.Assistance@askMINIUSA.COM and mention Reference # 200505400403 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Quick Reply: 05 MCS Dash Rattle That's Really Loud