Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cooling Fan Won't Stop

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 02:43 PM
mariog
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling Fan Won't Stop

Anyone experienced their engine cooling fan continuing to run after ignition has been cut off? (04 MCS)

I know in most cars it's normal to run for a little bit sometimes, but on two occasions, mine kept on going. (It's a rare occurance though)
I had to turn on the ignition, then off and it would stop for good.

Anyone think there's a fault somewhere?

Thanks all!

Old 02-17-2005, 05:33 PM
muidaq
3rd Gear
When I was in the Smokey Mountains and went up about 4000ft, mine ran for about 20 minutes before shutting off. Did it again after going up another mountain, but that's the only two times mine has stayed on. Have you been climbing any mountains in the Mini?

Old 02-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Electron_Mike
3rd Gear
You might try running a search for it on here. It seems like I remember it having something to do with a relay or such in the fan that keeps it running.

Old 02-17-2005, 07:54 PM
mariog
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies I remember the second time, I was driving up some hills in San Francisco and it happened right after I stopped.

I'll search that thread about the relay.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:04 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Cooling fan

It should run when the radiator is "hot".

One of our club members came home one day and the fan never shut off, it just ran his battery down. Phone call / Flat bed/ repair/ all under warranty.

JD

Old 02-18-2005, 07:12 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what happened to me.

Don't worry there are omly 2 post to this link and they are both from me.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=35366

Hope this helps.

--golden_child

Old 02-18-2005, 07:43 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had an old Mazda Protege that had a similar problem.

When it was working correctly and the engine was hot, the cooling fan would stay on for 5-10 minutes... until the engine had cooled sufficiently. I assume that a temperature sensor then sent a message to the relay saying "OK... the engine is cool enough... turn off the fan."

One cool Connecticut evening the fan stayed on when I walked away from the car. I had just been on a 1 hour trip on the highway and figured it was just doing the cooling-down thing. The next morning, I find my battery dead (very dead... not even much of the click-click-click of the starter turning over) so I get my roommate to give me a jump. As soon as I touch the jumper-cables to the terminals, the cooling fan kicks on! The relay had gotten stuck in the 'On' position and run the fan all night (or until the battery died).

Now is the part where I digress from a techincal discussion into one where I get to rant and rave about the way Dealer service departments try to screw us...

I get the car started and drive it to the repair bays at the Mazda stealership and say "I've got a car outside with a faulty cooling fan relay. I want you to replace it." They say "Fine... no problem... it will be about an hour." 45 minutes later, a mechanic comes out and says "I just found your problem... you have a faulty cooling fan relay!" My response: "No Sh** Sherlock... I told you that 45 minutes ago. I didn't ask you to do diagnostic work, I told you to replace the F'in relay!" I then spent the next 30 minutes explaining to the mechanic and the service manager why I wasn't going to pay for 45 minutes of diagnostic work that I didn't request. Once I got the dealer manager involved (The service manager refused to call him... I had to walk up to the sales area, find him, and bring him back to service), he looked at the work order that said "Replace cooling fan relay" and correctly charged me for the part and the 5 minutes of labor it took to install.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:52 AM
mariog
1st Gear
Thanks again. I'll have it checked out. (Good job on fighting that greedy Mazda dealer!)

Mario