Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 05 MCS is the first supercharged engine I have owned. To be honest I had never heard of an intercooler prior to last December. This could be considered embarrassing since I'm 56 - but whatever! Wikipedia tells me what the intercooler does and I understand the physics, but I wonder if anyone knows of a graphic (blown apart?) diagram of the MINI engine so neophytes like me can see in some detail what is going on and in what order? Thanks for any help!

Don't mean to subvert the thread here, I'll start one if thats a problem.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:40 PM
MINICS04
2nd Gear
Generic Catch Can

Anyone using a generic catch can like this one?

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...03cd381b2c5e66

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2005, 07:21 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ran48
My 05 MCS is the first supercharged engine I have owned. To be honest I had never heard of an intercooler prior to last December. This could be considered embarrassing since I'm 56 - but whatever! Wikipedia tells me what the intercooler does and I understand the physics, but I wonder if anyone knows of a graphic (blown apart?) diagram of the MINI engine so neophytes like me can see in some detail what is going on and in what order? Thanks for any help!

Don't mean to subvert the thread here, I'll start one if thats a problem.
How about this.........

Attached Thumbnails Oil Catch Can-ghost-alta-intake.jpg   Oil Catch Can-intake-ghost-image.bmp  
Old 03-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the thread "Catch can catch"

It's long, but goes over most of this stuff. There are several using non-alta or M7 cans. I got an M7 clone of eBay for $40, it's about 20 mm taller, JLM is running that as well. I looked in Summit Racing and there are a bunch there too. The issue is really where to mount it and how much space, but this really is just a jar to collect goo, and any will do (if it's strong enough for the vacuum). The can will see mild vacuum installed one way, and pre-supercharger manifold vacuum if installed another.There are miles of debates on the pros and cons........

Matt

Originally Posted by MINICS04
Anyone using a generic catch can like this one?

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...03cd381b2c5e66

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
How about this.........
Thanks Scott - that should help a lot.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:20 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ran48
Thanks Scott - that should help a lot.
NP sir.....glad I could help ! :smile:

Old 03-10-2005, 06:42 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
It's long, but goes over most of this stuff. There are several using non-alta or M7 cans. I got an M7 clone of eBay for $40, it's about 20 mm taller, JLM is running that as well. I looked in Summit Racing and there are a bunch there too. The issue is really where to mount it and how much space, but this really is just a jar to collect goo, and any will do (if it's strong enough for the vacuum). The can will see mild vacuum installed one way, and pre-supercharger manifold vacuum if installed another.There are miles of debates on the pros and cons........

Matt
I searched Summit but could not find any... how did you search?

Old 03-12-2005, 05:37 AM
Petrich
4th Gear
I think that the issues of catch can placement has been clearly defined. If one wants and oil separator catch can, then THE place to install the catch can is in series with the PCV valve and the high vacuum side of the throttle body. The catch can can be installed in a number of hose arrangements, but it will cease to function as an oil separator.

The choice of catch can is another matter. There are a considerable number of catch can options out there. A major limitation to catch can installation is the lack of free space in the MINI engine compartment. It is important to purchase a catch can that has the size and form factor that will permit installation. The Alta and M-7 models have taken the size and form factor into consideration. Beware of all the others.

Regards,
John Petrich in Seattle

Old 03-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
O whole can of worms just got opened!

Originally Posted by Petrich
I think that the issues of catch can placement has been clearly defined. If one wants and oil separator catch can, then THE place to install the catch can is in series with the PCV valve and the high vacuum side of the throttle body. The catch can can be installed in a number of hose arrangements, but it will cease to function as an oil separator.

Regards,
John Petrich in Seattle
You will find that many disagree completeley. The reason that you see less oil installed to the other line (the one between the TB and the air filter) is that the lower vacuum at closed or small opening in the TB is that you're not sucking as much stuff out of the crankcase. It still operates as a separator, but you just not getting as much oil without the high vacuum. If you want to SEE THE FASTEST FILLING, go to the high vacuum side, but many consider this original mini design flawed to begin with......

Also, at Summit Racing search on the word "overflow" or "catch can"

Have fun!

Matt

Old 03-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Petrich
4th Gear
Matt,

Agree, others will disagree completely. I had thought that I didn't express myself clearly and wish that I had. I want to restate what I had meant to say. Any catch can connection will allow a certain amount of oil separation to occur. You are clearly correct. What I meant to express in my summary is that the PCV connection / "high" vacuum connection has the most potential for drawing oil mist from the crankcase into the intake system. An oil separator in that particular line will separate the most oil. The Alta recommended connections defeat the manufacturers intended PCV system and might not be as efficient at removing the suspended oil.

So................I made the assumption that those who want to preserve the manufacturers intended PCV system and also want to reduce the oil being drawn into the intake system will place an oil separator in the PCV / "high" vacuum line. If they want something else, they can make what ever connections that they want.

Hope that this clarifies my thoughts to you.
Regards,
John Petrich in Seattle

Old 03-12-2005, 08:39 AM
WindMeUp
4th Gear
I think all of this has inspired me to get a catch can.. think I'm gonna go with M7.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
There's no problem with mist in the ENGINE

If all that mist jsut bumped into parts in the motor and returned to liquid that would be GOOD not BAD. By sucking to the high vacuum side, you just get more extraction, and more oil with the gasses.

to each his own!

Matt

Originally Posted by Petrich
Matt,

Agree, others will disagree completely. I had thought that I didn't express myself clearly and wish that I had. I want to restate what I had meant to say. Any catch can connection will allow a certain amount of oil separation to occur. You are clearly correct. What I meant to express in my summary is that the PCV connection / "high" vacuum connection has the most potential for drawing oil mist from the crankcase into the intake system. An oil separator in that particular line will separate the most oil. The Alta recommended connections defeat the manufacturers intended PCV system and might not be as efficient at removing the suspended oil.

So................I made the assumption that those who want to preserve the manufacturers intended PCV system and also want to reduce the oil being drawn into the intake system will place an oil separator in the PCV / "high" vacuum line. If they want something else, they can make what ever connections that they want.

Hope that this clarifies my thoughts to you.
Regards,
John Petrich in Seattle

Old 05-23-2005, 09:01 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
Here is how I installed my Alta. Just about a years worth of use and I would highly recommend getting one.

Does that lower hose connect to the intake pipe?

Old 05-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Itsdchz
5th Gear
To all that may have the factory alarm in the '03 model and above:

I had the oil catch can installed previous to installing the OEM MINI alarm in my '05. Here are a few pics of the oil catch can relocated to allow for the Alarm retrofit:
BEFORE OEM RETROFIT ALARM INSTALL

AFTER OEM RETROFIT ALARM INSTALL