Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Preping the MINI for cold weather use

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 11:30 AM
nolimit
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Preping the MINI for cold weather use

Before I take delivery of my Cooper in August, I will need to get it winterized. This should include a battery warmer, Oil pan heater and a block heater.
The Battery warmer and oil pan heater I should be able to get done when I get the car home, Fairbanks AK, the Block heater seems to be the main problem here. The dealership has no idea where to get a block heater of if there is even one for the MINI. I would like to get it done before I take delivery of the car.
Has anyone else needed to get this done and if so where might I look to get the right parts needed.
Thank you
Shawn

Old 03-26-2005, 12:47 PM
lotsie
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Canada,now has a block heater,heats the coolant,not the oil pan.The temps. here go down to -45F and the first winter of owning my car I had no block heater.The car always started.I also have a trickle charger for the battery.Makes more sense than a battery blanket to me,as the battery if fully charged,and I don't know how you could wrap the blanket around the battery,not much room.
The block heater works great,the temp. guage moves up to just below half of normal operating temp. at start-up,And the whole block is warm,even melts snow sitting on the bonnet.
The block heater part #12-81-0-306-612,the part is worth $86 CND.and cost about $150 to get installed.

PM me if you want know any other cold weather stuff.
OH,get snowtires,they make motoring so much fun in the white stuff

Old 03-26-2005, 12:59 PM
nolimit
4th Gear
Yes the Temp gets down to that cold and then some depending if you are in the hills or not. The trickle charger will be a must, I have killed 3 batteries in my RS due to freezing. The Oil pan heater is extra insurance for the oil to flow better. On the block heater part #12-81-0-306-612is that something that I could order threw a US dealer or sould I get it from a Canadian dealership?
Cheers and thank you
Shawn

Old 03-26-2005, 01:18 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought you were going to be from Australia Good luck on the winter project. I bet MINI shts when you have to be flat bedded to the dealer Good luck
RAT

Old 03-26-2005, 01:42 PM
nolimit
4th Gear
Well in some ways I hope they do, If I have any MAJOR problems.

Nearest dealership Is Northwest MINI in Tacoma WA. 2143 miles by road.
Not sure if it would get shipped that way, more than likely the Fairy.
I wonder if they would ship it back?
Well I'll be crossing my fingers for no problems.
Looking at putting over 3000 miles on it before it leaves the lower 48, shake out any minor problems if any.
Sheers
Shawn

Old 03-26-2005, 02:00 PM
rataha
5th Gear
They don't normally ship them back Hope you have many years of few problems good luck

Old 03-26-2005, 08:19 PM
lotsie
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should be able to go to a dealer in B.C.The warrenty is covered for North America.
Don't worry about the oil pan heater,the oil does not get thick,as it is synthetic,but things on the block do freeze up,not sure if MINI USA has the block heaters yet,but CND does,and I strongly urge you to get one.The battery charger is the way to go,the battery will keep warm from the block heater,and the charger will keep the battery up if you don't drive on the highway much.
Have fun with your MINI,and stay in touch here on NAM.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:15 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Aren't they heading in to winter down under????? Will someone from OZ help here