Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Dead battery or something else?? Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 01:56 PM
travelkids
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead battery or something else?? Help.

This very well could be a dumb question. I have improperly stored my MCS. Battery is dead. When I try to jump the car, I just get a clicking! When hooking up the car interior lights glow bright, but when cranking car over lights dim in both cars when with the clicking motion.

I have never been not able to jump a car. Is it because the battery is fried(won't hold a charge) or is it something else??

Just wanted to run it by you all as I patiently wait till Monday to get an interstate battery.

Thanks

3year old OEM battery.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You might want to get a battery charger and leave it connected to the battery for a long time. A battery that's been drained by a slow discharge over a long period of time takes a great deal of time at a low charge rate to bring back. The battery is electrically 'not even there', and attempts at jump starting are iffy at best since the battery cannot absorb a quick charge from the other vehicle and kick the car over. Instead, the car is trying to start using the other vehicle's battery entirely, and typical jumper cables cannot carry the full current needed to start an engine.

In the absence of a charger you can leave the two vehicles connected for a length of time, the engine does not have to run in the boosting vehicle in this case, but should be started periodically and run for 5 minute periods. Once your MCS kicks over, let it run for a good length of time. It's entirely possible that the battery is damaged or just plain bad, in that case, replacement is the only option.

If your interior lights are lit without the boosting vehicle connected, you can actually use the old tried-and-true method of push-starting the car. Push the car at a brisk walking pace and pop the clutch in first or second gear. With all the high tech in this little car, it's good to know you can stil use some old-skool tricks.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:23 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The security system and clock, other standby back up memory circuit all drain the battery while it's "stored." I charge my car every 2 weeks during the winter or put the battery on 'float.'

I think your battery is dead....or at least it won't charge to its original
capacity (probably less than 60%). Only deep cycle batteries can retain
its amperage after being drained completely. I would try charging it at 2A
for 18hours and see how well it charges.

I had the same problem on my old car (WRX) where something was draining
the battery at a pretty high rate. I ended up getting an Optima yellow top
for it cause the battery would drain within 2.5 weeks in the cold garage
to a point I can audibly tell the starter motor is turning slower than normal.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it a manual? Roll the car and pop the clutch....

Old 04-02-2005, 02:50 PM
travelkids
3rd Gear
Thanks for the info. It was really good stuff. I will just replace the battery and do it right from now on! Thanks again for your time.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:18 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Check the Positive Battery terminal under the Bonnet. If that get's corroded, there will be no juice going to the starter. Open it up, loosen the nut, clean the contacts, and retighten. Then try starting the car.