Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

pls dispeal this rummer, help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 11:19 PM
chrisw765
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pls dispeal this rummer, help

ok i was at the dealer i was talking to him about my m3 and also my mini and he was quik to say its not a bmw like you think, its really a dodge neon,he whent on to say its a mercds eng witch is the reworked neon eng. he also said alot of the suspention was interchangable ie hub bearing etc.. so pls tell me im not driving a 30k neon around and if its true lie to me pls, im going to go puke now.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:21 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
no it's not. fire that man.....

Old 04-15-2005, 12:15 AM
danbanger
4th Gear
is this a joke?

Old 04-15-2005, 12:23 AM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by danbanger
is this a joke?
Check out his other post.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:32 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
ths wons ether a trol ur sumwon iz useing hes id, his first post was quite normal.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:56 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is our school system really this bad?

Old 04-15-2005, 05:00 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I do recall hearing at some point in the past that the tritec engine bears some similarities with the neon engines.

I CAN NOT VERIFY THIS...JUST SOMETHING I READ ON NAM A LONG WHILE BACK.

Here is a link to a thread discussing this

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...highlight=neon

Old 04-15-2005, 05:09 AM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Neon...

"The 1.6 liter four-cylinder engine that powers the MININ is a Chrysler design that is built in Brazil by Tritec, a joint venture between DaimlerChrysler and BMW. The engine was designed in Detroit for use in overseas versions of Neons and PT Cruisers. It has a chain-driven overhead cam and four valves per cylinder." -MINI USA

This hardly qualifies as a Mercedes (although DaimlerChrysler owns Mercedes) or a Neon (although overseas Neons were intended to have this motor).

Old 04-15-2005, 05:21 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by danbanger
is this a joke?
Scarily, no, I don't think it is.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:00 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisw765
ok i was at the dealer i was talking to him about my m3 and also my mini and he was quik to say its not a bmw like you think, its really a dodge neon,he whent on to say its a mercds eng witch is the reworked neon eng. he also said alot of the suspention was interchangable ie hub bearing etc.. so pls tell me im not driving a 30k neon around and if its true lie to me pls, im going to go puke now.
First off
This guy sells BMW's ! For the last three years he has had to watch his associates who sell MINI's not have to work for their commision one bit. People come in day after day "happy to pay MSRP" (from another thread) Meanwhile he has to bicker with affluent old men and pampered women about the price of a 3 series

Second
The engine design and concept is a joint venture. You cannot just take this engine and drop it into a PT. Similar yes, same no.
By the way chrysler does make outstanding engines

Third.
The second point holds true for many, many parts in our cars. A vendor company will supply the same type of product for diffrent applications to many diffrent companies. These parts dont interchange but the same company makes them out of the same materials and sells them from everyone to toyota to chevy. Most large companies integrators(assemblers) of parts fab'd by vendors(part builders) these days, those that aren't will be soon.

So a MINI is not a Neon...... Is Mazda a chevy? or a Jaguar a ford? No! and those companies are actually owned by each other.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:02 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
I thought Mazda was owned by Ford, too.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:05 AM
ThomB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dansmini
I thought Mazda was owned by Ford, too.
Last I checked it was...

Old 04-15-2005, 06:13 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
so pls tell me im not driving a 30k neon around and if its true lie to me pls, im going to go puke now.
I find that fact that you're so disturbed over this news a little sad.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:24 AM
C4
Banned
Some people need to go back to school and take or re-take basic English skills, writting and grammar courses.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:25 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrisw765,

Yes it really, really is a Dodge Neon, the SRT4/1.6 model. BMW cut a deal with Daimler-Chrysler to test market the Neon for the European market, and the MINI was the result. Its worldwide appeal and success was not intended. Originally, the USA (and Canada) were not supposed to get MINIs at all, but when the BMW dealership network realized that their European counterparts were making money hand over fist (is there any better way?) through MINI sales, they whined and b*tched until Munich threw them a bone. However, stateside the Good Ole Boys at Dodge weren't too keen on the idea of the MINI coming here to literally eat their lunch, so a deal was struck. Only some 70 dealerships nationwide for MINI, and a prohibition against using the HEMI copyright. Great investigative reporting by the way. Maybe Geraldo should be worried about keeping his job.

Yeah, Its Got a Hemi

Old 04-15-2005, 06:30 AM
C4
Banned
The MINI shares absolutely nothing with the Neon. The 1.6L normal aspirated Tritec Cooper model engine is fitted to export versions of the Neon and PT Cruiser (European, Asian and African markets). The US Neon and PT Cruiser use a 2.4L 4 cyl engine not manufactured by TRITEC. That is where any similarities between the Neon and MINI end.

The 1.6L Supercharged engine in the Cooper S model, is exclusive to MINI and it is not currently shared with any other car in the world today.

As for the rest, the MINI is as much BMW as the 3 series, in fact the current MINI uses lots of electrics/electronics from the BMW 3 series and the complex rear suspension is also borrowed from the 3 series.

The MINI chassis/platform is dedicated and unique to MINI. No other car in the world shares its basic platform.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:04 AM
Turbogeo
3rd Gear
No dealer of any make would make those type of untrue claims of the car he is selling. Unless You went to Joe Shmoo's Auto Discounters and he had one Mini and 20 Neon's on his lot . Two different cars, many ties but not the same. Many of the same designers make there rounds, the Main designer for the Mini if I understand correctly now works for Ferrari One more note there has been many mergers and buy outs in the auto industry. BMW bought Mini from Land Rover, Ford bought Jaguar, Mercedes bought Chrysler the list goes on.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:08 AM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
..but Mini does look like a Neon in the front tho..

Old 04-15-2005, 07:15 AM
bob204bc
1st Gear
Is a Rummer a new cocktail?

What is an "eng witch". Is that what puts the magic in the Mini?

Old 04-15-2005, 07:49 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Similar engines are in the export-only PT and Neons. Big Deal. The original Mini had an A-series engine, which was originally used in agricultural tractors. That didn't take much away from the car, did it?

Plus I would like to point out how dependable the engine is, which is MUCH more than you can say for the new generation BMWs.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:00 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rev. Limiter
Is our school system really this bad?
Haven't heard of a 'rummer'?

Old 04-15-2005, 08:18 AM
bluesmini
6th Gear
my research shows that BMW bought the rover group which contained the rovers and the mini. BMW then sold the rover part to ford and kept the mini for later usage. remember one of the very early new mini pictures real ugly coming over a hill i think it was red and white with bug eyes. that was the rover project that got killed.

until very recently the big rover used one of the big 4.4 X5 engine. when ford bought the rover they didn't have a worthwhile engine so they contracted with BMW to use theirs for a bit. they then extended that for a nother year or two. i think by now they have there own engine in there.

me fail english, that's unpossible.
-ralph wiggam

Old 04-15-2005, 08:39 AM
fred3
4th Gear
ChrisW is a troll....

Gives no home or any other info. He is correct about it being a neon engine though, but that doesn't make it a bad thing. Sure wish he'd take more time on his spelling though. It's like reading a first graders paper. Get hooked on phonics when your small. Get hooked on the dictionary when you become a third grader.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:03 AM
chrisw765
1st Gear
so which is it?

Half of you are saying it is a Neon engine and half of you are saying it has no comparison. The facts that I stated were told to me, not by the sales department but the service department of my local Mini dealer, in Las Vegas. Sorry some of you couldn't get past the spelling and grammer but I still probably make more money than you. I am dislexic and can't spell...sorry! But I do hold a college degree. I'm not trying to cause problems. I'd like you guys to be my friends. As for being a troll, I don't see where I can put any personal information.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:20 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I believe it is like Tarzan said above. " a joint venture between DaimlerChrysler and BMW". I remember reading this years ago about the engine. I have never heard anything about the suspension before, but it could be possible. Does it make it a Neon?? Nah, its still a MINI to me.

Don't worry about the spelling, it seems to be a topic that gets brought up here every few months

Nik

Quick Reply: pls dispeal this rummer, help