Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior rattles since new

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 01:00 PM
mattharris75
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior rattles since new

I've only had my cooper S for a week and a half, but I have already noticed 2 different rattles. One of them is obviously the tweeter surroud, which doesn't seem to be seated well. I haven't been able to push it back into place, don't know if there is a broken tab back there or what. The second rattle i'm not so sure of. I can't tell if it's coming from the front of the door panel, the glove compartment, or something else in that general area. Are there any common components that have rattling problems that I should check out?

Old 05-01-2005, 01:17 PM
NC 05MCSC
1st Gear
passenger seat belt rattles againt side post

Old 05-01-2005, 05:39 PM
mattharris75
2nd Gear
Spent some time driving around today. Definitely not the seat belt rattle, although I heard than once or twice too, no big deal. It may all just be coming from the speaker surround. I need to get someone to help me troubleshoot it. It's amazing how one little thing can ruin the enjoyment of a new vehicle. Everything else about the car is great, and yet this is extremely irritating. Also, anyone got any favorite methods of resolving rattles such as this once it's pinpointed? My previous 2 Audi's and my S2000 never had this kind of problem even after a few years of ownership.

Old 05-01-2005, 05:54 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by NC 05MCSC
passenger seat belt rattles againt side post
If your passenger window is open,no passenger,just slide the buckle down to the side of the seat and wedge it in,cinch the strap abit,fixed

Old 05-01-2005, 06:00 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by mattharris75
Spent some time driving around today. Definitely not the seat belt rattle, although I heard than once or twice too, no big deal. It may all just be coming from the speaker surround. I need to get someone to help me troubleshoot it. It's amazing how one little thing can ruin the enjoyment of a new vehicle. Everything else about the car is great, and yet this is extremely irritating. Also, anyone got any favorite methods of resolving rattles such as this once it's pinpointed? My previous 2 Audi's and my S2000 never had this kind of problem even after a few years of ownership.
I had some door rattles that the dealer fixed.
I get the odd rattle from the dash as temps. warm up in the cabin,I just push the offending area,and if that does not work,a hard rap on the area always makes it go away

Old 05-01-2005, 06:12 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm driving an old '03 so I'm not familiar w/ the new crop of rattles. Mine were in the boot latch, and rear seat latch...and my dash creeks a bit when it's cold (...sorta like me), but it settles down once the cabin warms up (...also like me). The good news has been that the dealer has/will sort these out for you if you can identify roughly from whence they're originating. I've heard of rattles associated w/ the door speakers before, but this may be something new. That stuff is real accessible so should be relatively easy to sort out. Stay on it and don't give up!!! I've heard service advisors refer to the speaker surrounds as "breakables*." Maybe there was a tiny misfit when the piece was installed.

*as in "we can pull the door panels off, but there's no guarantee one of these little plastic buggers is gonna snap here and there, so we'll order an extra piece just in case."

Old 05-02-2005, 07:47 AM
CC
3rd Gear
Glovebox...

Just fixed an annoying glovebox rattle in my '03. Opened the GB door and tightened the two torx screws (maybe T15) at the top edge of the box.

Old 05-02-2005, 08:17 AM
buzzy
3rd Gear
The passenger door speaker rattle is pretty common. I've had the dealer try to fix mine a few times with no luck. I'm going to dynamat the doors soon.

Luke

Old 05-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Noisegirly
1st Gear
Several annoying sounds...

My month old Mini has the infamous speaker buzzing, plus normal dashboard squeaks, this static-like click that comes from somewhere on the left side of my dash, and the most annoying buzzing rattle sound that appears to be coming from the light fixture in the middle of the headliner. I'm waiting for the dealer to get some of my backordered items in so that I can drop off the Mini and let them go to town on it, and hopefully everything will be fixed up. If nothing else, the speaker buzz and the light fixture rattle MUST be fixed. I can live with dask squeaks...

I love my Mini, despite it's small flaws. It's such a fun car to drive.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:01 PM
YYC
4th Gear
Dash rattle after only 10 days, but easily cured by Stevie Ray Vaughan at full-volume, an open sun-roof, and 4500 rpm!

Old 09-07-2005, 04:11 PM
L8RG8R
2nd Gear
I've also got the same mysterious dashboard rattle and have had zero luck 1) figuring it out, and 2) getting it fixed. When I am driving it seems to be coming from the steering column area, but my wife thinks it is on her side (since she never drives it ).

My dealer is clueless about the problem, but has been pretty good about looking for the issue every time I take the car in for other service issues.