Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Intercooler cover...needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intercooler cover...needed?

Is there a need to keep the intercooler cover on a stock MCS? It seems that if you took it off you would be increasing the amout of surface area that would be directly in contact with the airflow from the scoop. Granted its would be a minute difference (im assuming), but Im not a huge fan of plastic covers on my engine parts. Any info, or thoughts would be appreciated!

-Jake

Old 05-02-2005, 01:12 PM
keen
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't looked at it closely with the idea of removal, but here are my thoughts:

It's not a cover, it's a duct. It provides the air with a tuned path through the intercooler. If the entry is smaller then the surface of the intercooler, it's likely done to increase the velocity of the air.

These little things are added to the car for a reason....even if the reason isn't immediately obvious to us. Sometimes the engineers screw up, but over all they know the system best.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:19 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keen
These little things are added to the car for a reason....even if the reason isn't immediately obvious to us. Sometimes the engineers screw up, but over all they know the system best.
Appearance is one such reason. I can't see that there's a functional purpose behind it other than to improve the overall look of the engine bay. I've been wrong before though.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The hood has a sealing strip that surrounds the intercooler and focuses the airflow from the scoop. This 'weatherstrip' seals against the plastic intercooler cover and makes the scoop more effective. If it were to seal simply against the edges of the intercooler itself, the engine movement will grind the edges into the weatherstrip and wear it out. Plus, the intercooler is not completely centered in and does not take up the whole area of the opening of the scoop. The cover helps to prevent air moving past the intercooler and become 'wasted'.

It also tidies up the engine bay somewhat. And it gives those with the JCW kit a spot to show off their stuff, as the JCW has a different color cover with logo.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:05 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Greatbear,
Any input on the Alta Air Diverter?

Old 05-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN109
Hey Greatbear,
Any input on the Alta Air Diverter?
I dont have the Alta diverter, but I have seen it on some cars. It has a flange with a weatherstrip that meets the scoop from below, and also acts as a funnel to move are from the left side towards the intercooler. I'm not sure how much difference it ultimately makes in airflow/i.c. temps. The Alta diverter is drilled for the installation of a cryo system, so those running a cryo system are often seen with them. It also looks decent, and adds to underhood 'bling'