Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Throw-out bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 06:12 PM
YYC
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw-out bearing

I know there have been numerous posts on the incessant "tapping" noise which can be heard on the MCS with (6-spd Getrag) transmission in neutral and the clutch pedal out (no noise with clutch pedal depressed).

The most useful to me were LombardStreet's comments in:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=32571

Some folks have had their transmission replaced and the sound is still there!

Mini2 forums seem very negative about this and consider it a significant problem:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45557

Replacement of flywheel (with "optimized" or "dual" flywheel - not that I have a clue what that means!) has been suggested and posters have said it fixed the noise. Others say it is a throw-out bearing noise that is within the range of normal for this transmission/clutch.

So...is this sound normal for the MCS (mine is an '05 with <2000km)? If not, what is the preferred solution.

Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least, and I am only concerned if it is a sign of a defective part, etc.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It IS a problem.

Yes, it is a problem. Even if you can live with the sound, nobody (and I mean NOBODY) will buy that turkey off your hands when you ever go to sell it. Even dealerships will gouge you because they will immediately deduct thousands and thousands from the trade-in value telling you your tapping transmission needs to be replaced. You are devalueing your car by not getting it fixed, which is under warranty.

Jeff's MCS made the sound, and was repaired with the optimized flywheel by the dealership under warranty.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:53 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in for the 'rusty cable' noise last week, and They actually told me about this problem as well - but I don't have it yet. They said there is nothing they can do, it has to do with the design of the bearing itself. They also said the 'rusty cable' noise was the arms of the pressure plate, and it's a trait of the car and shouldn't get any worse. Not saying that is true, just what I was recently told by Pat at Ferman.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:53 AM
lotsie
Banned
I take the car to your dealer so they can hear it and note it on your records.
I would also press them to fix it.Thats what the warrenty is for.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:01 AM
YYC
4th Gear
So...does MINI have an official position about the "tapping" noise at idle?

Seems like many dealers are telling us it's normal for Getrag 6-spd, while others (particularly in the UK) admit there is a fault and provide a fix.

It must have something to do with tolerances since everyone describes a prominent noise if the clutch is engaged quickly but no sound if the pedal is slowly released.

Replacing transmission and/or clutch does not always seem to cure the problem, so I like the flywheel hypothesis.

What exactly is an "optimized" fly wheel? My understanding is that the MCS already has a "dual-mass" flywheel? So what type of flywheel are they putting in that improves the situation?

Randy Webb (who will definitely know the answer) where are you? :smile:

Old 05-08-2005, 10:06 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Incidently Victor and Pat at Ferman said they would fix it for me if I wanted them too, but they 'said' Mini would only authorize one clutch repair under the warranty period, and would deny any further on the basis of improper driving. I did not argue, as I knew that was BS, and that's what dealers like to do. I was hoping Mini would be the exception but clearly not.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:17 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Gary King is the service MGR at MINIof Peabody, and probably the coolest guy on the planet.He suggested that I get my car in for service just prior to rolling 50 K so that any loose ends could be taken care of. This clutch issue plus being the charter member of the "OOOOOOOOOOOOORT" club (LOL) and I brought this issue up when I left the car off. "yep, your clutch is bad and it will be replaced under warrentee"

yeehaa! That happened last week and my question to the savvy of you out there: am I now back into a 1200 mile break-in period with the new clutch?they replaced the flywheel, clutch, and throw out bearing.what are my constraints if any? Jock

Old 05-08-2005, 06:31 PM
YYC
4th Gear
holdenontoit...Did your flywheel/clutch/throw-out bearing replacement get rid of the sound?

Honestly, the only reason I know my transmission/clutch makes the "tapping" noise in neutral is that my wife releases the clutch pedal quickly at stop lights. I release the pedal slowly and there is NO noise. If I was the only driver, I would probably have never heard this sound!

I will get the dealer to document it and consider a repair if necessary at my first service. Otherwise, I am just going to enjoy driving "Max" and worry about this later (but within my warranty!!)

Old 05-08-2005, 06:48 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
No specific break-ion clutch ONLY procedures, other than be gentle for the first couple hundred miles. Just like new brakes.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:26 PM
btal40
2nd Gear
hmm i have the same prob too, my 05 has 4000miles on it. i have been wondering what it was, guess ill ride this thread out and get some more info before heading down to the dealer. id also like to know what the optimized flywheel is? How longs service been taking for this? they give a loaner anyway no?

Old 05-10-2005, 05:44 AM
YYC
4th Gear
The reason I started this thread is that it is difficult to get a clear, straight answer....is the noise a "fault" or normal for this car? Opinions on this and other forums are all over the map (the nature of forums, I suppose), and MINI is not much better...50% of dealerships say it's normal and the other half gut your tranmission/clutch, etc and then the "tapping" is often still there!

Like you, I'm in wait-and-see mode but I will be making more enquiries, especially to those dealers that have replaced the flywheel with apparent positive results.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:18 PM
btal40
2nd Gear
the body shop where my car is, as a deer jumped off a hill directly onto the hood - was kinda funny never seen anything like it, anyway- the guys there always have minis in their lot and know the car very very well. i have gave him some comp advice and stuff so he's a true gent with me. When i go there this week to get my car back, i will also get his honest opinion. then i will drive it down the st to the dealer and get it out of them somehow i hope. hello aero bumper, thanks deer - to me sounds like a flaw though cause y would they allow that sound in an otherwise sound vehicle. the only time i have heard this noise is when its an actual issue, but then again im a body mechanic not a auto mechanic

Old 05-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Mini USA does have an official opinion about the "orrrrrrtt" clutch sound. I was told directly by phone that they are aware of the issue, but that at present it is not covered under warranty.......and should not worsen. They also said that dealers could choose to replace the clutch as a gesture of 'good will', but are under no obligation to do so. I was given a reference number and told that if their position changes I would be notified. Unfortunately, my dealership.....Mini of the Main Line (Philly area).....has adopted the same stance.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:02 PM
lotsie
Banned
So do the dealers that chose to do the work pick up the tab,or does MINI?

Old 06-08-2005, 11:57 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Check out this update, for the MC, but there may also be one for the MCS 6sp.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=44691

Steve

Old 06-08-2005, 05:58 PM
YYC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mielnicki
Check out this update, for the MC, but there may also be one for the MCS 6sp.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=44691

Steve
Thanks...I read that post with interest, but wasn't totally sure it applied to the MCS. Certainly, the noise many of us hear is restricted to cold starts.

Where do you find these updates? It would be interesting to know if the 6-spd Getrag had a similar update issued.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:24 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
I got that Service Measure from my dealer yesterday, after picking up the car. Had it in for variuos problems, tranny noise was one of them. Basically they told me I will be contacted when MINI finally decides how to properly fix the issue.

Steve