Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

V41 Software and Cold start

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 06:49 AM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with kaelaria, my cold issue and my jerky issue were both fixed my my MTH flash.

I have had it for a while now and let me tell you it runs so smoth is worth every peny!

with that said i will be taking my car to the dealer suturday for a service! and I will inquiry abou the v4.1

Old 06-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Ramjet
1st Gear
How can you tell what version you have? and not to sound dumb, but what is the MTH?

Old 06-16-2005, 10:11 AM
rockymt98
2nd Gear
Mine has Herky-jerky and cold start idle

05 MCS build date: 02/05

I too would like to know how to verify the Rev on the firmware. My experience with dealers has been such that I like to have some knowledge of the problem to keep them honest

Exhibiting the following symptoms:

Cold start idle stumble.

Herky-jerky on throttle let-off.

Throttle let-off lags at times. revs stay up (or should I say come down slowly between let-off of throttle and clutch/shift. Like the old SU carbs when the dashpots were messed up)

Here are a couple other things it does that may or may not be related:
Tailights have stayed on.
Cruise control only works on some days. Like this since day 1.(Today it worked but hasn't worked in over a week.)

The car does a number of things that are annoying at best. If it weren't for having owned other quirky british and italian cars and know that I'll probably just have to live with some of the idiosyncracies I'd probably not keep it. But it's just so much fun to drive when it runs right

Old 06-16-2005, 10:14 AM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ramjet
How can you tell what version you have? and not to sound dumb, but what is the MTH?
i dont know about the version. but MTH is a software upgreade...
you can search this forums for MTH and find a threat called MTH - member support.
or go to: www.mth-powerchip.de

Old 06-16-2005, 10:34 AM
SB
6th Gear
I feel your pain, Sndwave. When I took my car for the 2nd maintenance a few months ago, I specifically asked them not to update the emissions problem. They said they had too and ever since my car has the accelerator jerk like people describe.

I've given up on my cold start/hot start issue getting fixed. I don't live as far away as you but I'm not close enough to drop it off and come back either.

Just to clarify, I love my MINI and wouldn't trade it for anything......well.....maybe an 06 I would.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:21 PM
miniraider
3rd Gear
i just called the dealer near me in OC ca.
has no idea what is V41 upgrade is..
has not heard about it yet....

Old 06-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sndwave
When I had the v40 upgrade done because of the recall notice, not because I wanted it done, it took a couple weeks for it to start acting bad. This is not my imagination and seems to come and go, but it is because of the ECU update that was installed.

I do not live close to a dealer (600 mile trip). I can not just pop in and have every new update flashed when MINI/BMW wants to try a new program.

I know it’s not going to happen, but I want my v32 back.
Supposedly they upgraded mine to v39 during the recall. That was the start of all the problems. I had also told them that I didn't really want the upgrade but was told that I had to have it. I informed them at that point that I would be really pissed if they introduced any of the various problems. I have since let them know, in no uncertain terms that I am a very unhappy camper.

I am campaigning to get v32 re-installed.

Just picked up mine after the install of v41. So far it hasn't made it worse, but it didn't fix anything that I can tell. The cold start was intermittant and not predictable. The car was doing the herky-jerky off-throttle thing within sight if the dealer. To the dealers benefit, they never said that they fixed that problem. They tried not to talk about it at all.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:43 PM
haulinS
3rd Gear
no problems here

just had my 04mcs reflashed this past weekend with the V41.4 (don't know if its the same as V41) and have not experienced any software related problems thus far. :smile:

Old 06-16-2005, 08:33 PM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Hey Hobbit

Did the dealer reset the ECU after the upgrade? Or have you done so?

Based on your description of the problems within sight of the dealership it sounds like it didn't get done.

Heck, even if it did, do it again. It won't hurt anything.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:38 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Originally Posted by warchieft2k
I agree with kaelaria, my cold issue and my jerky issue were both fixed my my MTH flash.
I had posted an update in the other threads - mine came back, and does it pretty randomly lately, maybe 1/3 of the mornings, and I had one stall when the a/c was on. This issue appears to be outside the portions of the ECU affected my MTH, unfortunately.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:01 AM
steebo777
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ramjet
How can you tell what version you have?
I would love to know this as well.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:35 AM
jblow
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
cool. I should start thinking about taking my MCS in for the recall

while getting the v41. :smile:
What is the recall; what build dates are affected?

Old 06-17-2005, 07:48 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by jblow
What is the recall; what build dates are affected?
It’s an emissions recall and it affects only 02’s and early 03’s. It was two different ones. A faulty breather hose and the ECU flash.

I drove around with duct tape on my breather hose for 7 months because it had split apart and still had better performance with the v32 that I do now with the new hose and v40 installed.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CoryB
Hey Hobbit

Did the dealer reset the ECU after the upgrade? Or have you done so?

Based on your description of the problems within sight of the dealership it sounds like it didn't get done.

Heck, even if it did, do it again. It won't hurt anything.
I think they did, I asked them to reset it. All of the OBC settings were zeroed out, if that means anything.

Guess I'll do the 19-21 reset thing as you say, "It can't hurt".

I'm thinking of trying the VGS modification. I'll let you know.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Installed the VGS modification on Sunday, 26-6-05, and the jerking problems are gone .......... at least for now. Drives like a different car. Throttle response is much better, no off-throttle problems, or at least very minor, so minor that they can be masked by poor roads.

I did have another cold start stall on Saturday, still intermittant, no pattern that I can find.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:13 AM
BrianGoldbloom
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=Bilbo-Baggins]Installed the VGS modification on Sunday, 26-6-05, and the jerking problems are gone .......... at least for now. Drives like a different car. Throttle response is much better, no off-throttle problems, or at least very minor, so minor that they can be masked by poor roads.QUOTE]

Okay, I too have the herky-jerkies, so I'll go ahead and risk exposing myself as the class dummy. What is the VGS mod? An ECU upgrade? Who makes? Where do you get?

Edit: I did a search and found it. Guess I should have done that before posting!

Old 06-27-2005, 09:21 AM
Hounddog
3rd Gear
Software version, how to tell

Ok so I'll re-ask the same question, how do you know which version you have?????

Old 06-27-2005, 10:14 AM
BrianGoldbloom
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Hounddog
Ok so I'll re-ask the same question, how do you know which version you have?????
I believe that the dealer is the only one who can tell you that..... unless it can be determined deductively based on your build date. Are you still running the original version that came on the car, or has it been reflashed?

Old 06-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
[QUOTE=BrianGoldbloom]
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
Installed the VGS modification on Sunday, 26-6-05, and the jerking problems are gone .......... at least for now. Drives like a different car. Throttle response is much better, no off-throttle problems, or at least very minor, so minor that they can be masked by poor roads.QUOTE]

Okay, I too have the herky-jerkies, so I'll go ahead and risk exposing myself as the class dummy. What is the VGS mod? An ECU upgrade? Who makes? Where do you get?

Edit: I did a search and found it. Guess I should have done that before posting!
LOL, maybe so.

It is as easy as it sounds, takes about an hour to do it the first time. I'm sure I could do it faster now.

The difference is now I know that it is easier to take more apart and open things up than to fight the cramped spaces. And, Oh yes, 11" pliers or 11" forceps make things much easier.

I didn't bother to adjust the butterfly of the By-Pass valve and it still feels great.