Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

V41 Software and Cold start

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 07:31 AM
mborto
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V41 Software and Cold start

Got the V41 software installed yesterday. Looks like it solved the cold start problem without having to run a reset. Maybe too soon to tell, will know better tonight when I try to start after having it sit all day. Anyone find that the latest software has solved some of the nagging problems?

Old 05-10-2005, 09:04 AM
jaxkewl
2nd Gear
how can u tell what version u have?

Old 05-10-2005, 11:03 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cool. I should start thinking about taking my MCS in for the recall

while getting the v41. :smile:

Old 05-10-2005, 11:10 AM
plugot
2nd Gear
I just had my first oil service (9500 miles) and the Service writer said that my V3.9 was up to date. He said that there wasn't any additonal updates for the MINI. V4.0 + are actually for BMW, not MINI. So I'm not entirely sure that you received the 4.1 update. Additionaly the SA said that they were still working on the occasional lumpy idle associated with the v3.9 upgrade and that it was still the current flash. Since I'm thinking of doing the MTH flash, I would really like to know if there is another official MINI upgrade before I do the MTH install and then have to reinstall it.
Can you confirm that you really did get a V4.1 flash?

Old 05-10-2005, 11:27 AM
BrianGoldbloom
2nd Gear
I've got the herky-jerky bucking when going off and back on throttle while underway, which came with the V39 software. Many others have reported this habit in other threads. This has been the most obnoxious behavior my 04 MCS has demonstrated (worse than yo-yo). Any indication that the new software has addressed this problem? I've been semi-patiently waiting for a software version that would smooth things back out, at least to the way it used to run.

This is off-topic, but does anyone know if any of the after market ECU upgrades resolve this issue?

This is the first I've heard of V41. Just so I'm clear on this, we are talking about V41, and not V40.1 - right?

Old 05-10-2005, 12:10 PM
mborto
1st Gear
The worksheet showed V41. I just called the dealer to confirm and they confirmed it was V41 not V40.1. Don't know if it's for BMW or Mini, but it seems to have worked.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:11 PM
jdemaria
2nd Gear
Has anyone been able to get a list of fixes or adjustments yet? I have call into my dealer for the info but I don't expect an imediate response from them getting me all the details.

I emailed MiniUsa but they generally take about a week to respond as well.

JD

Old 05-11-2005, 07:40 AM
mborto
1st Gear
Two more cold starts and no problems yet. Also, no more herky-jerkies. Generally feels smoother. Looks like I won't need to buy a Unichip

Old 05-11-2005, 08:14 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's in your head. My car is new (latest software) and I had the problem until I flashed MTH.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:28 AM
mborto
1st Gear
So I'm just imagining that my car isn't stalling every morning anymore? Hmm, does that mean I'm sitting in my dead car in my driveway right now imagining I'm at work? Wow, I never knew I had such a powerful imagination. Or maybe it was those strange mushrooms I ate last night.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:38 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
No, it means your computer has not seen conditions that promt the behavior.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:58 AM
BrianGoldbloom
2nd Gear
Anybody besides me lost?

kaelaria, are you saying it's too early to tell if problems have been solved by V41? Are you saying that V41 doesn't solve anything? Are you refering to the cold start issue, or the herky-jerky issue? Are you saying that MTH cured one of these issues? If so, which one?

Sorry if I am sounding contentious; I don't mean to be. I just don't understand what you are getting at.

Peace

Old 05-11-2005, 11:15 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I'm saying I have 41 and had the problem rear it's head the past couple weeks, right up till I flashed MTH. I am refering to the cold start 'problem'.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:17 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Well, I should say I have the latest software - whatever that is. I just had the car in for service a couple days ago and had them look at this, plus a couple other things. They said there was nothing that could be done, a reflash would not do anything. They did not say what version I had. I was thinking it was 39, but whatever it is, they said I have the 'latest version', as my car is only a few weeks old.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:15 PM
lotsie
Banned
kaelaria,you may have had your MINI for a few weeks,but its closer to 2 months old.Things can change while our MINIs go for that North Atlantic cruise.Not all dealerships seem to get info at the same time either.
Glad the MTH fixed things for you

Old 05-11-2005, 12:22 PM
BrianGoldbloom
2nd Gear
mborto's original post is only a few days old - and this is the first reference to V41 I have seen on NAM. I don't have time to read every thread, but I am here everday (In fact, I'm obsessively addicted. ).

I do know that as of a few weeks ago my dealer, Rasmussen in Portland, told me that the version they were using was V40.1 (or maybe V40.2). It's quite possible that you've got a 39 or 40 version.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:46 PM
mborto
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kaelaria
No, it means your computer has not seen conditions that promt the behavior.
That's quite possible. I imagine that if it's simply a matter of conditioning, then a reset test 19-21 should fix it if I ever come across those conditions and it begins to stall again.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:56 PM
jdemaria
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mborto
Got the V41 software installed yesterday.
How long did you have to wait for the dealer to update your car?

Thanks.
JD

Old 05-13-2005, 08:06 AM
mborto
1st Gear
I dropped it off, he called me two hours later.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:46 AM
miniraider
3rd Gear
so any body else get the V41 upgread..
does it solve any thing? i only have rough ideal.

i called my dealer they had no idea what i was talking about...

Old 06-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
My '02 MCS just got re-flashed with v41, according to my SA, today. They were going to keep it overnight to check the cold start and the jerkyness when easing off the accelerator in 2nd and 3rd gears that BrianGoldBloom described. Hopefully this will also fix the sensitivity and responsivness of the accelerator when starting from a complete stop.

When starting, after the v39 flash, I can depress the accelerator and the engine does not respond, if I lift my foot and press down again it will go. Or if I bring the revs up to 1,500 to 2,000rpm before letting out the clutch it works. Tough on the clutch, but at least I get going.

These problems were introduced by the installation of the EPA required "fix". Before that I was running the original software that came with the car, I think it was v32. I had no problems, no yo-yo, no stumble, no herky-jerky, everything worked and was fun to drive.

The way it was after the EPA mandated "fix" took all of the fun out of it.

I'll report back after I pick it up and again after the adaptive learning phase. I am going to check to see if they reset the ECU adaptive learning. Otherwise I will have to do the test 19-21 reset myself.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
hmmm v41 ? I have some of that herky jery when you let off th ethrottle and get back on it. Its kind of a slight abrupt reaction.

Maybe v41 will help.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:16 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
My '02 MCS just got re-flashed with v41, according to my SA, today. They were going to keep it overnight to check the cold start and the jerkyness when easing off the accelerator in 2nd and 3rd gears that BrianGoldBloom described. Hopefully this will also fix the sensitivity and responsivness of the accelerator when starting from a complete stop.

When starting, after the v39 flash, I can depress the accelerator and the engine does not respond, if I lift my foot and press down again it will go. Or if I bring the revs up to 1,500 to 2,000rpm before letting out the clutch it works. Tough on the clutch, but at least I get going.

These problems were introduced by the installation of the EPA required "fix". Before that I was running the original software that came with the car, I think it was v32. I had no problems, no yo-yo, no stumble, no herky-jerky, everything worked and was fun to drive.

The way it was after the EPA mandated "fix" took all of the fun out of it.

I'll report back after I pick it up and again after the adaptive learning phase. I am going to check to see if they reset the ECU adaptive learning. Otherwise I will have to do the test 19-21 reset myself.
Bilbo, your experiences since re-flashing your '02 sound exactly like sndwave's! His was one of the GREAT '02s, and when he took it in to the dealership for the two service bulletins and its Inspection I, they flashed the v40 (I think), in mid-April, and he has had problems ever since. What a shame!

Clover

Old 06-16-2005, 05:30 AM
bouray
3rd Gear
GIAC reflash fixed the herky-jerky we got with the ECU EPA update. We had no problems prior to the EPA update with our original ECU software. Smooth as silk now.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:11 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Bilbo, your experiences since re-flashing your '02 sound exactly like sndwave's! His was one of the GREAT '02s, and when he took it in to the dealership for the two service bulletins and its Inspection I, they flashed the v40 (I think), in mid-April, and he has had problems ever since. What a shame!

Clover
When I had the v40 upgrade done because of the recall notice, not because I wanted it done, it took a couple weeks for it to start acting bad. This is not my imagination and seems to come and go, but it is because of the ECU update that was installed.

I do not live close to a dealer (600 mile trip). I can not just pop in and have every new update flashed when MINI/BMW wants to try a new program.

I know it’s not going to happen, but I want my v32 back.

Quick Reply: V41 Software and Cold start