Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Replacing headlight and turn signal covers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 07:47 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing headlight and turn signal covers?

I've taken the plunge and ordered a new '05, so I'm trying to resolve a few minor cosmetic issues with my '03 before putting it on the market.

My driver's side headlight cover has a crack a couple of inches long, mainly along the edge so it's hardly visible, but you'd definitely notice it if you were walking around the car sizing it up for purchase. I'm still convinced that this was some form of vandalism rather than a rock hitting it; there's no impact mark at all. In any case, what would be involved in replacing the clear plastic headlight cover?

Similarly, my front turn signal on the same side has a cracked lens. Like the headlight, it works 100% fine and I wouldn't bother with it if I was keeping the car. Can the lens be replaced, or would I have to do the whole light? Would I have to drop the bumper, or... ?

Needless to say I'll be getting clear guard of some sort for the lenses on my new car!

Thanks for any help,
Chris

Old 05-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Both the headlight and turn signal lenses are part of a sealed housing assembly, not separately replacable.

You dont need to buy either of these as a complete unit with bulbs, etc. You can get them as bare minimum pieces, though the headlight housing will not be very cheap by any measure. The turn signal housing is relatively cheap.

You do have to remove the bumper cover to replace the turn signal assembly. It's not tough to do, however. Do a search here and at MINI2 for instructions if you need them. In both cases, replacement of either piece involves removing the old unit, transferring the bulbs (and ballasts and washers if you have xenons) from the old unit to the new, then reinstalling the assemblies.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:31 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crap, that's just what I feared! The turn signal is barely noticeable, but I was hoping to do the headlight. Oh well, definitely not worth it for a substantial amount of $.

Thanks as always for the shared knowedge, Greatbear.