Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

oil change/general mainentance

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 02:56 PM
royce
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil change/general mainentance

15K mi. between oil changes seems too long. I've heard people reccomend 2.5K mi., 4K mi. and then of course there's the tried and true 3K. Would there be any advantage to getting the new Mobil 1 oil that is supposed to last 15K mi. and changing it every 3k mi.? It has more supersyn and cleaning agents than regular Mobil 1.

I noticed in the Bently service manual they reccomend a different viscosity if the car is being opperated above around 60 F. Is anybody using anyting other than 5W-30?

As far as general mainentance goes... plugs and wires every 30k mi. What else is every body doing? When does the timing belt need to be serviced? How long are peoples brakes lasting them? Has antbody changed their transmission oil? Is any body using watter wetter?

Old 05-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Your oil can't be too clean. I change mine every 2500 in all of my cars. There are a lot of people on the forums that will strongly disagree with us on this point. Maybe it is excessive, maybe it isn't; but if it makes you feel better, you certainly aren't doing any harm. Personally, if it ain't the color of honey, it ain't in my engine.

Plugs and wires have a pretty long service interval on paper. Replacing them at 30K miles seems reasonable to me. If you do so, and then you notice that your car runs better, you'll know for sure that you did the right thing. A JCW MCS has a pretty short service interval for the plugs if I remember correctly. I think they do it at each oil change.

Thankfully, MINI doesn't use a "rubber band" to turn the camshaft! There is a genuine timing CHAIN. Like any other mechanical device, it can wear, but there is no need to replace them as planned maintenance.

Rawhyde

Old 05-19-2005, 04:13 PM
05LiquidYellow
2nd Gear
I've been replaced mine at 1,500 and the filter. I'm planning on replacing the oil and filter every 3k from now on. I've been using the Mini 5w30 oil and the Mini filter. I would not use the Mobil 1 Extend Oil for 15,000 miles. It actually hurts your gas mileage, which is something, if you ask a Mobil rep, they will tell you. I would either go witht the regular Mobil 1 5w30, or Mini Synthetic 5w30, or Castrol Syntec 5w30. Of course the Mini oil and the Castrol are the same thing. Mini oil is made by Castrol. The only reason I bought the Mini oil, was because it was the same price as the Castrol and I wouldn't have to make more than one stop for parts.

Old 05-19-2005, 04:14 PM
ncdave
5th Gear
I still change my oil with the factory-recommended synthetic every 3,000 miles. I know that it's probably excessive but I intend to keep this car in the family and doing the changes myself equates to 20 minutes and around $27.00 for the oil and filter so it's not a huge deal. Besides, my MINI knows I care.:smile:

Old 05-19-2005, 04:48 PM
minimonkey
4th Gear
I am changing my oil (myself) right now... at 3,000 miles. With alot of stop and go driving... more frequent oil changes is better. I look at it this way... it certainly can't hurt! And since I have a JCW engine - all the more reason. In fact, my car is only a couple months old, and I was surpised at how dirty the oil was for the first 3,000 miles of the car.

Old 05-19-2005, 05:19 PM
minisme
1st Gear
When to change your oil depends on many factors such as driving style and usage, the kind (synthetics vs. petroleum) of oil you use, etc.

Also, there are also environmental costs. The more you change your oil the more oil to dispose of.

With some synthetic oils you can go 10-15k miles before an oil change if you drive 'normally'.

Changing oil every 3k or so (when using a good synthetic oil and fairly normal driving) seems over done.

But it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:35 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by minisme
...Also, there are also environmental costs. The more you change your oil the more oil to dispose of.
High fives to you minisme - this is maybe the first time I've ever seen this important point made, in what must be hundreds of oil threads .

I'm not totally a purist/vegan/anti-development monkey-wrencher, but I would be deeply ashamed to blow off the easy, do-able stuff.

Not everyone has this "option" but my solution is to store used oil (and paint, and refinishing products, and the few non-rechargeable batteries we use) until the city-sponsored "Toxic Drop-Off Day", and get rid of it then @ no charge.

Finding out exactly WHAT they do with all that stuff would make a great project for my 5th grader, a "greenie" and proud of it.
Ooops I digress...

Tatt

Old 05-20-2005, 03:36 PM
bigfun04
4th Gear
I change mine at 5000 mile intervals. I work at an Oil refinery and oil today is up to muster for increased mileage.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:48 PM
betet
4th Gear
Should I worry?

My next service indicator is showing another 4K miles to go for Inspection I..which will be hitting the 34K mark.. The first oil service was at about 9.8K mark..

Now should I worry??? ....

By the way, is this normal? or does it mean that my car has been pampered as far as pushing it hard?

Thanks

///Gil

Old 05-20-2005, 04:01 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Man if I changed my oil as often as some of you I would be doing it every two weeks . As for gas milage being reduced, I have yet to see that affect from oil. I consitantly get 32mpg with new or older oil. If I baby it I can get up to 35.5.

I've followed the service indicator to change my oil, and so far I have changed it three times, its due for number four in about 2000 miles. Each time the oil has been somewhat dirty, but nothing like my other cars running standard oil, getting changes at 5000. I'm totaly comfortable with the factory recomendations, but if you're not its simple insurance to change it earlier.

Nik