Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rubbing Sound when turning at parking lot speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 07:30 AM
mudflap
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubbing Sound when turning at parking lot speeds

the right front of the car makes a rubbing sound, only when turning slowly (say in a parking lot or in and out of a parking space). at speed above 10-15 mph, it does not happen. the dealership told me it was my tires (as they were worn down), however after replacing them, the sound is still there. i searched the threads and didn't really see one that matched my description--anyone else have this issue?

Old 05-27-2005, 08:48 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
I have the same problem after putting new tire/wheels.
there is no way the tire could rub anything as the car is on stock height and there's plenty of space everywhere.
let me know if you find out anything. I couldn't figure it out..
Maybe it's the power steering noise? but don't remember it being this bad.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:01 AM
mudflap
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by VoiD
I have the same problem after putting new tire/wheels.
there is no way the tire could rub anything as the car is on stock height and there's plenty of space everywhere.
let me know if you find out anything. I couldn't figure it out..
Maybe it's the power steering noise? but don't remember it being this bad.
my car is at sterling mini now (blew a tire and cracked a rim on a pothole last night ), they are going to take a look at the sound again after next tuesday (after the new tire arrives)--i'll let you know.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:31 AM
aquaanox
2nd Gear
i have the same problem after putting new tires and wheels on. Did you ever figure out what the problem was ? thanks.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:32 AM
mudflap
2nd Gear
i had a cracked strut mount (right front)...they replaced it free of charge under warranty. the sound was prevalant before i hit the pothole...

Old 07-07-2005, 08:47 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
When I took mine in, they said it's just tire noise

I have stock tires now and the sound is still there, although a bit less noticeable. Mine only sounds when I'm making a hard right turn with throttle.

I've decieded to just live with it. If something breaks, they should fix it as I still have a lot left on the warranty

Old 07-07-2005, 08:59 AM
andromcs
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I experience a rubbing sound also and had posted about it in the past. In the previous thread, we thought it was the sound of the LSD. I too am just living with it and waiting to see if any damage occurs...if so, hopefully during the warranty period!

Old 07-07-2005, 09:15 AM
mudflap
2nd Gear
yeah, i don't like the 'it's just tire noise' excuse, especially when it comes to suspension...i've never owned a car that made rubbing/screeching sounds when turning, but i have had tire noise with high performance summer tires, which was expected. i'd definitely push the issue. it the sound wasn't there when it was brand new, it shouldn't be there now.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:25 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
I had it, cracked strut mounts. Both replaced under warranty. MINI knows they have a problem w/ original units but not advertising the fact. My SA treated it like no big deal. There is a separate thread here somewhere w/ pics of broken units and new replacement units.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:47 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mudflap
yeah, i don't like the 'it's just tire noise' excuse, especially when it comes to suspension...i've never owned a car that made rubbing/screeching sounds when turning, but i have had tire noise with high performance summer tires, which was expected. i'd definitely push the issue. it the sound wasn't there when it was brand new, it shouldn't be there now.
Right. I would have considered it "tire noise" if it was consistent. I guess they just thought tire noise was what I was hearing and didn't bother test driving the car more. I was going to take the SA for a ride but he had already left when I went back to pick up the car. I'm just tired having to drive the dealer rental car.. (I had taurus, then a neon) I will bring up the issue again when the car goes in for its first maintenance schedule.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:30 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Does anyone have a picture of a cracked strut mount? Where does the crack develop? where can we check this. Sounds serious.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:32 PM
VoiD
6th Gear
Old 07-07-2005, 03:03 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Our car is headed in tomorrow for re-doing everything they were supposed to have down a week and a half ago (intermittant buzzing in the passenger speaker, stiff passenger seat, and the noise reported above...) We'll request that they inspect the strut mounts and see what they tell us...

Old 07-08-2005, 11:15 AM
mudflap
2nd Gear
definitely let them listen to the sound while you are in the car with the SA and with the hood open...the techs on two other occasions said they could either detect no noise or said it was due to balding tires...

Old 07-08-2005, 11:31 AM
tommyb
1st Gear
I had the rubbing noise as well, busted front tie rodhere, fixed under warranty, but that did not produce the rubbing sound, my car guy said that there is a backer plate next to the rotors and they get rust on them which produces the rubbing sound, he put the car up on a lift and proceeded to turn the wheels and grind off the rust until the noise went away, it's back again but I think I should be able to do the job myself this time around,

tommyb

Old 07-08-2005, 11:39 AM
CSAMF
3rd Gear
For a year now

The noise I hear sounds like the noise you get from a very old shock absorber, almost a creaking noise. Is that what everyone is hearing? I've had the noise from day one and it's been a year now. Maybe something isn't lubed enough is my first thought. I thought for sure if there was something seriously wrong with it, it would have been obvious or worsen during MOTD. Nothing. Still the same, no worse. Things that make you go "hummm".

Old 07-08-2005, 12:44 PM
BearX220
3rd Gear
I get a steady "whoop-whoop-whoop" rubbing sound from the right front of the car when turning left at low speed. Not a creaking noise, a friction-y noise. It sounds like tire rub, but it's not tire rub -- I have plenty of clearance. While my runflats have 23k on them and are somewhat worn, I can't believe this is the fault of worn tires -- they'd have to be ovoid or asymmetrical to cause this noise.

I'm going in for my 25k check in a week or two, and checking the strut mounts and tie rods is high on the to-do list.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:47 PM
VoiD
6th Gear
that's what I hear. whoo whoo whoo then quiet then repeat with occassional creaking sounds mixed in with my 2000mile falken azenis..
less noticeable on OEM run flats(~1000miles) but the sound is still there when making hard right turns going up the underground garage ramp..

Old 07-08-2005, 05:00 PM
YYC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BearX220
I get a steady "whoop-whoop-whoop" rubbing sound from the right front of the car when turning left at low speed. Not a creaking noise, a friction-y noise. It sounds like tire rub, but it's not tire rub
Had the same sound from the moment I picked up my '05 MCS in April. Repaired right away - pitted wheel bearing, probably defective at manufacture. No problems since.

When you turn left, you load the right side...pretty classic for a wheel bearing problem, I think.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:52 PM
BearX220
3rd Gear
YYC, thanks for the lead. That sounds very likely to be the culprit. Appreciate your help.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Porco Rosso
2nd Gear
I had this same problem - occasional creaking sound on slow right turns - with my 06 MCSC, starting about 6 weeks ago. No major potholes or other suspension catastrophes, just regular driving. I do traverse about 6 speed bumps on an average daily commute, but I take them slowly and gingerly.

Anyway, had it fixed when I took her in for the 10k service. It was a cracked strut mount, replaced under warranty no questions asked. However, they implied that if the strut itself had also been damaged they would not have done a warranty repair.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should bug them to replace the other side with the newer/better strut mount before it too collapses and potentially causes more serious damage.