Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Vehicle Memory

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 09:02 AM
st240
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After having the car about a week now...I'm just getting around to looking through the owners manual in detail. I found a section on page 41 titled Vehicle Memory that answers some peoples questions about the locking system, etc...

The Vehicle Memory system allows your dealer to configure some options to your liking...my guess is that they plug a laptop into your Cooper and set the switches. Here's some of what you can do:

- Signals an acknowledgement when locking or unlocking your vehicle.
- Automatic locking after starting off
- Automatic unlocking when the parking brake is applied.
- Selective central locking - first open the driver's door, then the whole car
- Automatic opening/closing of sunroof
- Opening/closing windows and/or sunroof via remote control
- Speed-dependent windshield wiper
- Automatic activation of windshield wipers on cleaning (???)
- "Follow me home" lamps...low beams light up for a short time after the engine has been switched off
- Locking when engine is running (with second key)
- Stop function of power windows on opening/closing
- Activating/deactivating daytime running lamps
- Switch on interior lamps via remote control.

My dealer didn't tell me about these features. Hopefully they'll know how to program them.

Old 07-06-2002, 09:04 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
Yes, you have to request the things you want... (more work for the dealer).

Old 09-12-2002, 10:26 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
I had my new MINI Cooper into the dealer this week to have a couple of late preparation items dealt with. While there, I wanted to have all of the "Vehicle Memory" items set just the way I wanted them. Unfortunately, I was told that many of the items covered in the owners manual could not be set. Has anybody had any experience with the settings for these items? (Owners Manual page number in brackets.)
*Signal acknowledgement when locking and unlocking [pg 41]
Automatic locking after starting off DONE [pg 26, 41]
Automatic unlocking when applying the parking brake DIDN'T DO [pg 41]
*Auto opening/closing of sliding/tilt sunroof [pg 41]
*Speed dependent windshield wiper [pg 41]
*Slow wiper speed when stopped [pg 51]
*Auto activation of wipers when cleaning [pg 41]
Follow-me-home lamps NOT DONE YET [pg 41, 49]
Daytime running lights DONE [pg 41]
*Switching on interior lights via remote [pg 41]

I've been told by my dealer that the six items above with asterisks cannot be set. Why the hell are they in the manual then?! Anybody have any advice?

Also, the manual says on pg. 28 that the driver's window can be fully closed with just a tap on the switch, just as easily as it can be fully opened. I've seen posts on this site that says this cannot be set in the USA due to safety concerns. My dealers says they cannot set it. Any other feedback out there?
Thanks!!

Old 09-13-2002, 06:56 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear

>>Also, the manual says on pg. 28 that the driver's window can be fully closed with just a tap on the switch, just as easily as it can be fully opened. I've seen posts on this site that says this cannot be set in the USA due to safety concerns. My dealers says they cannot set it. Any other feedback out there?
>>Thanks!!

This one puzzles me. All of the Volkswagens I've used (mostly Golf's) have this feature. On my GTI it works on either front window (up or down). Maybe it's only illegal at BMW dealers?

OR, maybe the Golf has a "clutch" or sensor that can STOP the window if closed on an obstruction, and the MINI doesn't?

All I know is that it DOES work on SEVERAL cars sold in the US.

Old 09-14-2002, 08:52 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
David,
Buddy, thanks for the feedback. I got Ringo back from the dealer last night and the word on the driver's window closing is that if the vehicle doesn't have some kind of brake on its mechanism to stop it due to an obstruction. then it can't auto close. The sunroof has such a thing and so it can be closed by pushing it's control button forward beyond the resistance point. But the MINI's window doesn't have this brake. Maybe your VW does.

But the dealer did replace the useless boot open trick from the remote so that now the sunroof and both windows open when the MINI logo on the key is pressed and held a second time. Apparently, you can choose to have the boot open or the glass open but not both with the remote.

Also got the daytime running lights and the Follow-Me-Home lights set. Auto lock at 7 mph is also nice and I got that too.
Thanks again.

Old 09-14-2002, 10:04 PM
Verruckt
4th Gear

>>This one puzzles me. All of the Volkswagens I've used (mostly Golf's) have this feature. On my GTI it works on either front window (up or down). Maybe it's only illegal at BMW dealers?
>>
>>OR, maybe the Golf has a "clutch" or sensor that can STOP the window if closed on an obstruction, and the MINI doesn't?
>>
>>All I know is that it DOES work on SEVERAL cars sold in the US.

I'm thinking it may well have something to do with the fact that VWs have a "framed" door, whereas the mini doors are frameless (around the window). Perhaps becasue the MINI windows have to seal against the car, they can't use the "clutch" system? <shrug>

Just my $.02

Old 09-15-2002, 12:35 AM
Friar
1st Gear
I have to go back in and have some features reset. Currently my remote works like this:
1st tap drivers door unlocks
2d tap both dorrs and boot unlock
3d and hold windws and top open.

Now if either of the doors are opend the windows all stop.

I need to get the auto lock doors

Electra is an electric blue MCS sport and prem

Old 09-16-2002, 11:31 AM
kensmini
3rd Gear
Friar,
Yes! What you described is exactly what my key remote now does, instead of the boot opener. When you go in to have the auto, drive-away locking set, know that you can select at what speed this kicks in. Not a huge deal but mine's at about 15 MPH. I think you can have this set lower or higher.

If you want the Follow-Me-Home lights turned on, also know that there are several on times you can have set. Mine are for 40 seconds but I think you can have them set as high as two minutes.

If you want these features set, you may need to tell your dealer and then stick to your guns. I've found that I knew more about this than my dealer's service dept. did.

Have fun. Ringo and I enjoyed many more break-in miles this weekend. :smile:

Old 09-20-2002, 04:56 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
I heard from Steve at MINI USA about the Vehicle Memory settings. This is Steve's reply to my question about what can and cannot be set for US MINIs:

"Programmable on the US MINI:

Selective Central Locking, Automatic locking after starting off, Follow me home lamps and Daytime driving lights. Signals acknowledgement lock/unlock, Speed Dependent wipers,
Automatic activation of wipers on cleaning, Switch on of interior lights via remote (when unlocking).

Not for US MINI:

Automatic open/close of sunroof, Opening/Closing windows and/or sunroof via remote, One touch up windows.

Some dealers may not have all of the software required to program all of these features but should be able to in the future.

LET'S MOTOR.

Steve Smith
MINI Division"
:smile:

Old 09-21-2002, 07:49 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
About a month ago, I brought my MINI in for service and requested that they add the "opening of windows&sunroof via the key remote" option... It's great!

If your Service dept says they can't do it, tell them to check again. My service advisor doubted me at first too, but after looking into it, WAS able to add the feature...

No luck on auto-closing windows & sunroof though.

Old 09-21-2002, 10:51 AM
kensmini
3rd Gear
I was able to get my dealer to set the opening of the sunroof and windows with my remote. However, that ability replaces the ability to open the hatch with the remote. I didn't care since I never thought I'd use the hatch opener. The sunfoof/window opener works great.

What I really want set are the features for the wipers. As it is now, my windshield wipers do NOT wipe after the washer squirts. And that's a pretty basic wiper/washer feature on any car. I'm going to give my dealer a little more time to get its software, then go back.

Old 09-23-2002, 09:57 AM
spoon
1st Gear

If I hold the key in the lock position (in the door, not remote), it closes all windows and sunroof.