Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 11:10 AM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To answer the initial post, my Cooper also bogs occasionally, and always from a dead stop (or 1st gear idle speed). My solution has been to press the clutch, rev to 2K (which wakes the car up -- sometimes it goes into the stuttering idle mode), release, rev to 2K again, and come off the clutch. For some reason, double revving seems to make it happy.

I know it's irrational, but it works for me.

And I hate it when it bogs. I've nearly gotten T-boned because of it a few times.

If you find yourself bogging, keep your foot on the gas and give the clutch a quick feather. It might seem nasty to the clutch, but it's better than wearing a Buick.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:26 AM
hyobum
5th Gear
Can someone define exactly what bogging is?

I'm pretty sure my 04' MCS has never bogged before, but I could be mistaken.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:31 AM
ahamos
Originally Posted by hyobum
Can someone define exactly what bogging is?

I'm pretty sure my 04' MCS has never bogged before, but I could be mistaken.
Stomp on the gas in 1st gear, and NOTHING HAPPENS. You'll roll off the line at idle speed, sweat will instantly start pouring down your face, you'll see traffic approaching really really fast from every direction, and just when you think you're going to die, the car lurches forward and drives normally.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:57 AM
SB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ahamos
Stomp on the gas in 1st gear, and NOTHING HAPPENS. You'll roll off the line at idle speed, sweat will instantly start pouring down your face, you'll see traffic approaching really really fast from every direction, and just when you think you're going to die, the car lurches forward and drives normally.
Seeing it in that text, it may not be a problem. Maybe it's the MINI paying us back for going through a mud puddle, not driving the curves fast enough or any other things we do to irritate our cars. Apparently they have a mind of their own and have a sense of humor.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:58 PM
hyobum
5th Gear
Ok, my car has never bogged before. I hope it never will..

Old 06-29-2005, 09:08 AM
efcmini
4th Gear
Ahamos, I believe you are describing a "Stumble" which has been debated ad infinitum in the "Stumble" threads on NAM.

My "bogging" term may not be the best for what I and others are experiencing but it is the best I could come up with.

This "bogging" can, and does, occur at any speed in any gear. Rolling along at 30 mph and suddenly decide to stomp on the gas (just "because"). The pedal goes down but no performance comes out of the car, usually accompanied by a fart out of the exhaust. It may only be a split second but it is very pronounced (not the fart, the lack of power).

Just to follow up on yesterday's trip to Powerchip in Santa Monica...they checked and their program was still in place on my ecu. The dealer had not reflashed it when I was in getting an oxygen sensor replaced the other month. Powerchip says that as far as they can tell my problem is mechanical in nature. But I do not have a check engine light. Is it possible for the car to have mechanical problems (such as being described in this thread) without error codes being sent which would then presumably cause a check engine light to be displayed?

Ken

Old 06-29-2005, 10:22 AM
ahamos
Originally Posted by efcmini
Ahamos, I believe you are describing a "Stumble" which has been debated ad infinitum in the "Stumble" threads on NAM.

My "bogging" term may not be the best for what I and others are experiencing but it is the best I could come up with.

This "bogging" can, and does, occur at any speed in any gear. Rolling along at 30 mph and suddenly decide to stomp on the gas (just "because"). The pedal goes down but no performance comes out of the car, usually accompanied by a fart out of the exhaust. It may only be a split second but it is very pronounced (not the fart, the lack of power).

Just to follow up on yesterday's trip to Powerchip in Santa Monica...they checked and their program was still in place on my ecu. The dealer had not reflashed it when I was in getting an oxygen sensor replaced the other month. Powerchip says that as far as they can tell my problem is mechanical in nature. But I do not have a check engine light. Is it possible for the car to have mechanical problems (such as being described in this thread) without error codes being sent which would then presumably cause a check engine light to be displayed?

Ken
Ah. Interesting to note: I've read in countless different threads that the "stumble" is native only to the MCS, whereas I drive a Cooper.