Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:26 AM
efcmini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bogging down

Any idea which one of my mods the dealer will tell me is causing the below problem? (I just know they will say it is a mod problem and nothing to do with them) Sometimes, but not always, when I stand on the gas pedal the car will hesitate, the pedal will go down but no performance comes out of the car. It's almost like a blank spot, dead. You could say it bogs down. Once it has done it, then service as normal resumes and I can go like a bat out of hell. I find the problem to be especially bad when the car is still not fully warmed up (I know I shouldn't probably be trying wot when it's not warm but sometimes you just have to). However it will also happen when the car is fully warm.
The possibly related mods I have are: Magnaflow exhaust, MiniMania 15% Pulley, Mini Mania Header with CAT, Mini Madness Cold Air Intake, Powerchip, Pilo ignition & wires. All of the above have been on the car for quite sometime, and no the car has not performed this way the entire time. I use the same Chevron 91 octane fuel all of the time.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Ken

Old 06-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Abbett
2nd Gear
Throttle body

Old 06-21-2005, 04:13 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it like when the traction control comes on?

Old 06-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
I have a 2005 MC CVT with no mods and my car does that all the time when I'm pulling into traffic from a complete stop. The car hesitates badly for a second and I've scared myself a few times thinking I wouldn't make it. If I hit the gas while the car is already moving, even if I'm moving very slowly, I don't have the hesitation. It's only when I do it from a complete stop.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by Rennie
I have a 2005 MC CVT with no mods and my car does that all the time when I'm pulling into traffic from a complete stop. The car hesitates badly for a second and I've scared myself a few times thinking I wouldn't make it. If I hit the gas while the car is already moving, even if I'm moving very slowly, I don't have the hesitation. It's only when I do it from a complete stop.
Its some type of torque limiter in th ecvt, we have on eand it does the same as you described. You just have to wait untill its clear before you go.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by detlman
Its some type of torque limiter in th ecvt, we have on eand it does the same as you described. You just have to wait untill its clear before you go.
Sometimes when trying to pull out into traffic during rush hour, it never gets clear. There's a line of cars behind you waiting for you to go, and you're watching the traffic flying by and you have to take the best opening you can. I've tried puting the car into Sports Mode, but it hesitates in that mode as well. Any other hints?

Old 06-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
nope, all I can say is time it way ahead, floor it an dhope you make it. I know exactly what you are talking about and that is th eonly thing I dont like about driving our 03 MC. I have an 05 S and merging is never a problem :-)

Old 06-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by detlman
nope, all I can say is time it way ahead, floor it an dhope you make it. I know exactly what you are talking about and that is th eonly thing I dont like about driving our 03 MC. I have an 05 S and merging is never a problem :-)
Okay, thanks. At least I know there's nothing wrong with my car :smile:

Old 06-21-2005, 06:35 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rennie
Sometimes when trying to pull out into traffic during rush hour, it never gets clear. There's a line of cars behind you waiting for you to go, and you're watching the traffic flying by and you have to take the best opening you can. I've tried puting the car into Sports Mode, but it hesitates in that mode as well. Any other hints?
Buy a turbocharged AWD car with a beefy clutch and squirt out of the hole like a scalded kittycat?

60 feet in 1.7 seconds, to be exact.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:34 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by efcmini
Any idea which one of my mods the dealer will tell me is causing the below problem? (I just know they will say it is a mod problem and nothing to do with them) Sometimes, but not always, when I stand on the gas pedal the car will hesitate, the pedal will go down but no performance comes out of the car.

I have a 2005 MC, no mods, same problem. If stopped waiting to pull out, you rev the engine a little, then try to pull out, it will hesitate.

It has to do with the throttle by wire system. until the revs fall back down, there is a dead spot.

You can also notice the cause of the problem with cruise control. In regular cars when you set the cruise, you can feel the gas pedal moving as the car compensates for hills, etc. In the MINI you do not feel the pedal move, however if you step on the gas with the cruise set, there is a dead spot in the pedal movement until it is pressed to the point at which the throttle is actually open to maintain the set speed.

Steve

Old 06-21-2005, 09:48 PM
efcmini
4th Gear
I'm sorry I didn't check back sooner before this got slightly off track, but thanks for the replies so far. My fault too for not explaining that I have over two years worth of experience with the lurching/hesitation off the line even when just attempting a normal take off. This loss of power that I am experiencing is not that. One more mea culpa for not explaining that this complete loss of power comes when I am already rolling along (it can happen at 15 mph or 40 mph). I stand on the gas pedal and nothing, zilch, nada. Yes the car lurches, but it is far more pronounced than the lurch you get at take off. It isn't the rev limitor (or whatever you call that when you exceed redline) because I am nowhere near redline when this happens. So in summary...I am moving along at say 30 mph, I stand on the gas pedal to get really moving, and suddenly have no response from the car for maybe 1-2 seconds (it seems a lot longer but I know it isn't).

Ken

Old 06-22-2005, 12:03 AM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by efcmini
I am moving along at say 30 mph, I stand on the gas pedal to get really moving, and suddenly have no response from the car for maybe 1-2 seconds (it seems a lot longer but I know it isn't).
I am experiencing the same thing right now. I thoguht my belt might be slipping and it is just dumping all of my boost. I get the same thing he is talking about but also I get this probalem where if im going lets say 50 in second then punch it it will hesitate for like half a sec then i have no boost and the rpms will slowly go up.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:16 AM
minicoop78
4th Gear
4 cyl. end of story

4 bangers for the most part will do this. Thats why people love v6 cars they are much smoother. Some of it has to do with mods tuning or lack of etc. etc. but for the most part it is a 4 cyl. deal what was your previous car?

Just hook up a 100 shot of NOS and the feeling you get after this bog will more than make up for it.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:04 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minicoop78
what was your previous car?
94 325is inline 6

Old 06-23-2005, 09:47 AM
efcmini
4th Gear
[QUOTE=minicoop78]4 cyl. end of story]

Nah I don't buy that sorry. My "four banger" never had this problem for the first two years, it's only come on in the last few months. At the top of this thread Abbett had two words, "throttle body". Anybody else here think that could that be the problem? And I suppose more importantly and back to my original point, will MINI try and say that my mods caused the throttle body to go bad (if in fact it is the throttle body).

Ken

Old 06-23-2005, 10:46 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
[QUOTE=efcmini]
Originally Posted by minicoop78
4 cyl. end of story]

Nah I don't buy that sorry. My "four banger" never had this problem for the first two years, it's only come on in the last few months. At the top of this thread Abbett had two words, "throttle body". Anybody else here think that could that be the problem? And I suppose more importantly and back to my original point, will MINI try and say that my mods caused the throttle body to go bad (if in fact it is the throttle body).

Ken
I think it could be the throttle body, or it could also be the Rheostat (or whatever is used) for the throttle-by-wire.

If any of your mods are related to the TB then maybe. They are well within the law of stating that an intake *could* cause TB failure. However, they have to prove it.

Steve

Old 06-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
I notice a slight flat spot at 3200 rpm when crusing. It is not apparent when I step on the throttle. I have a 2005 MCS with 15% pulley, CAI, one-ball exhaust and 62 mm TB

Any comments???

Old 06-24-2005, 12:10 AM
minicoop78
4th Gear
i dont see a tb going bad in fact it is not a known problem from bmw. however it could be your wiring harness thier is a bulliton on this. The tb wont do what it is supposed to because of the wires.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:27 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
After hooking up my car to a scanner we found two codes, they came to be fuel injector cyl 2 : low input; and fuel injector cyl 2 : malfunction. I have it at the dealership now and hope that warranty will cover it.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:38 PM
efcmini
4th Gear
Thanks for the update misfit. Do let us know what happens. I don't know what mods you have, but if you can find out in a round about way whether or not they are going to try and blame it on a pulley or any other such mod please pass that on to us.

Thanks again,
Ken

Old 06-26-2005, 09:36 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
I have a 17% pulley and one-ball with 12k miles on the car, also I have never run out of gas. My appointment isnt untill tomorrow at 10am, we will see how it turns out and I will let you know.

Old 06-27-2005, 01:08 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Ok, just got a call fromt he dealer they said that "a wire had wore down and was grounding out, that is the reason it was throwing a code" I am on my now to pick it up to see how it runs.

Old 06-27-2005, 01:30 PM
SB
6th Gear
I'm awaiting your response to how it feels.

I've noticed in the past few months my car has the bog down feel on occasion. Actually, more like an old buick that gets flooded when you apply gas. I especially noticed it yesterday on a 50 mile trip home after some hard running. It would occur anywhere from 2500 to 3200 rpm in all gears. Sixth for example would give me a sort of yo-yo, the supercharger can't make up its mind if it wants to kick in or not, feel. Not a complete bog down, something similiar to a misfire.

Like I said, I've felt it before but yesterday I guess running it hard for a little while and it was hot and humid made it more obvious. I'm still blaming it on the updated code to fix the emmision problem.

Honestly, it's like the supercharger doesn't want to kick in part of the time.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:24 PM
efcmini
4th Gear
My mechanic who has done all of my mods checked the car out today and he reckons the problem lies in the software. I have Powerchip and I'm on my way there to get it reflashed tomorrow. I'll know as soon as I leave if it is fixed. If not I'll go to the dealer and have them check the wires. Powerchip says that the dealer will have reflashed the ecu when I went there to have an oxygen sensor replaced. That will have removed the Powerchip program.

Ken

Old 06-28-2005, 09:01 AM
MSFIT
6th Gear
My car feels a lot better than it did, but that was just because that problem, I dunno what software is even on my car right now. They said that they will have new software out sometime in august.

Quick Reply: Bogging down