Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical gremlins - help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005 | 08:32 PM
badalo4
|
1st Gear
Electrical gremlins - help

Folks,

I just purchased a 2002 Cooper S. Beautiful, I'm very happy but the car is out of warranty and appears to have a couple of puzzling electrical gremlins which I hope someone can help shed some light on.

1-Right/passenger side window goes up but does not come down. I dissasembled the door and by running long wires from the left side harness, verified that the motor is functioning properly but in reality, there is no voltage going from the right side window switch to the down motor. So I purchased a new switch console (they only sell the whole thing $115) thinging it must be the switch since the motor does work and the problem persists. Any ideas?

2-THis one is even more bizzare. The sunroof switch works after I disconnect and reconnect the battery but after a while stops working. I'm at a loss.

I've orderd a Bently Mini Cooper S Manual and I hope to be able to find my way before I give the local BMW dealer lots of $$$ but these two issues are quite strange.

Has anyone encountered similar problems?

Thanks in advance.

Helder

Old 07-16-2005 | 05:13 AM
jeffreyevens
2nd Gear
Hi Helder,Wait until you get the repair manual,you will find that the window and sunroof switches supply signal voltage to a body module, which in turn supplies voltage to door window motor, same for sunroof. the manual may give you instructions for troubleshooting this problem.

It's also possable that this module needs reprogramed by the dealer ?????

Happy Motoring, Jeff E

Old 07-17-2005 | 06:08 AM
NealW
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by badalo4
1-Right/passenger side window goes up but does not come down.
Helder
Does the passenger window do the drop down when you open the door? If it does this would indicate that everything works between the body control unit and the window motor (the internal relay in the body control unit and the wiring between the body control unit and the window motor).

Old 07-17-2005 | 04:37 PM
badalo4
|
1st Gear
The BC1 is defective.

It had some corrosion on it. I have to take the car to BMW and see what happens. All kinds of strange things going on with the windows and sunroof.

I've been told by other board folks that the 2002 Mini's didn't have the necessary protectiveness around the BC1 thus any little bit of water was enough to damage the BC1. That's what happened to this one.

Thanks for all you input.

Helder

Old 07-25-2005 | 06:50 PM
mininvy
2nd Gear
Electrical may-hem!

I have a 03 Cooper S. Installed the factory alarm over the weekend and drove it to the dealer this morning. all sounding normal, until i pulled out of the drive and all climate control, door locks, windows, sunroof, tach, speedo, trip computer, cruise, fog lights, ralley lights, tire pressure light, dsc, EVERYTHING! OUT ! poof!

I have the original dension ice link installed, and now the dealer is saying or leaning that this caused the problem. They even went to hook up in their dyanastic computer and would not hook up. Oh, for got to tell you that radio worked fine which tells me the radio is on a seperate circuit. So how can the ice link cause a problem i will never know.

If anyone has suggestions would be a big help.

My car has less then 20,000 miles, original owner.

Thanks, Tommy

Old 07-25-2005 | 09:50 PM
badalo4
|
1st Gear
Yikes!

Sounds like you're in worse shape than I am. I suspect your BC1 has gone south as well. However, in your case, your the original owner and you still have warranty thus the dealer should take care you, right?

In my case, I purchased the car from an guy who bought it at an auction. The car had water damane to the BC1 (not much but just enough) and has a "salvage" title thus I'm not sure the dealer will even warrant it anymore.

Other than the few issues with the BC1, I still have the radio "disable" message which I'm not sure what caused it.

At this point, outside of the radio, there are minor nuissances but on the 15th of August, I'm taking it in and I'll find out what's up with it.

Best of luck with your problems.

Helder

Old 08-17-2005 | 11:14 AM
badalo4
|
1st Gear
Got it back!

An update! The Mini finaly went into the dealer and as most suggested, a BC1 replacement fixed all the gremlins.

Everything in these cars runs through the BC1.

So, got it back and now it's time to start looking at some upgrades. Any suggestions on brakes/suspension and minor engine mods would be appreciated. I realize that there is so much stuff out there and IMHO, the Works Kits from the dealers are way overpriced.

Tnx

Helder