Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

squeaky clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 AM
bswinnerton
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brought my 06' MCS in and they're replacing the clutch and fork bushings. We'll see how it goes tonight!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
It would be great if you could get back the throw-out bearing, guide sleeve, and fork bushings. Take good pictures and post them.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Neutral
Seattle Mini owner here.

Just found this thread and will be taking my Mini in for servicing/diagnosing Dec 11th. (to Tacoma Mini in Washington). I'll let you know EXACTLY how my experience goes. So far, I've talked to the Service attendant (Terry) and made the appt with him. Reading in this thread that someone got their issues resolved which resulted in a light as a feather clutch engagement makes me wonder....

If this is true, my clutch is nothing like that. A bit stiff, and the travel is a bit awkward. I have to actuate the clutch with my whole leg. Usually, every car I've ever driven, I can actuate the clutch with my left heel on the floor. This car makes me engage, and actuate with my whole left leg lifting up and down.

My stats:
2006 MCS
47000+ miles
Bought it used NOV 1st, 2009.
Car appears to be in fantastic shape, inside and out.

I WILL be keeping you updated with what happens to my mini once I get her in.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
I thought I had already posted/replied to this with the outcome, but i guess not!

Anyway...

I did take my car in to NWMINI (in Fife) and they immediately noted that the clutch was definitely NOT working like it should, and with a little further investigation determined that it was NOT due to normal wear and tear, and therefore should be able to be fixed under warranty.

A few days and $0 later, I got the car back and the clutch is just like new (I believe they replaced the entire clutch assembly, including the clutch itself). If I remember right, it was something to do with the [some part]'s teeth not engaging quite right and causing rubbing and wear. The clutch plate itself was fine, although they replaced it as part of the whole assembly.

The downside was that with a new clutch I had to baby my car for 750 miles... but well worth it!

Oh, and my SA was Terry, so he should be up on this. My car should be on file - Olen Ronning, 2006 MCS.

I can't guarantee your car has the same problem or will be fixed under warranty (you're just squeaking in with that mileage!), but it's worth a shot!

Good luck!

Old 12-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Neutral
Originally Posted by o-ron
I thought I had already posted/replied to this with the outcome, but i guess not!

Anyway...

I did take my car in to NWMINI (in Fife) and they immediately noted that the clutch was definitely NOT working like it should, and with a little further investigation determined that it was NOT due to normal wear and tear, and therefore should be able to be fixed under warranty.

A few days and $0 later, I got the car back and the clutch is just like new (I believe they replaced the entire clutch assembly, including the clutch itself). If I remember right, it was something to do with the [some part]'s teeth not engaging quite right and causing rubbing and wear. The clutch plate itself was fine, although they replaced it as part of the whole assembly.

The downside was that with a new clutch I had to baby my car for 750 miles... but well worth it!

Oh, and my SA was Terry, so he should be up on this. My car should be on file - Olen Ronning, 2006 MCS.

I can't guarantee your car has the same problem or will be fixed under warranty (you're just squeaking in with that mileage!), but it's worth a shot!

Good luck!

O-ron, thanks for taking the time to post. Let me know if you're ever in the Blah-view area so we can hook up. I'd like for you to give her a push to see if what I've got, is the same thing you had in the past. Buy you a beer for your time.

At any rate, thanks for posting. I'll be sure to post exactly what my experience is once I get this taken care of. I'm using this experience to gauge my next purchase. If this goes well, I'll be buying a very shiny and new Mini from their shop.

....time will tell. *crossed fingers*

Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Miniquestions
1st Gear
The is also a noise you will get becasue the stock disk is a non spring hub disc and will vibrate causing a metal on metal like sound from the clutch area...I replaced and went to a stage 2 spring hub clutch and just to be safe went to a `13LB flywheel...got rid of it

Old 04-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Disco
1st Gear
Found a video on YouTube showing the noise I think all of us are referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEieo...eature=related

On my 02' the noise only comes after some driving. The noise definitely gets worse in a hot summer day. Was anyone able to tackle this problem without replacing the whole clutch? My clutch is still running fine so I am hoping not having to drop the entire clutch to fix it.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:53 AM
USCooper
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like some advice from you guys. I just bought my MCS-06 (6-speed M) about a week ago and have a 1000 mile drivetrain warranty from the dealer. I have the squeaky clutch and noticed it when I purchased it but figured it was just a squeak. I got on here to figure out how to fix it (just thinking I could apply some lithium grease or something) and saw all of these much larger issues. The car runs great and shifts well. The clutch doesn't bite high or anything, but I can hear and feel the squeak. What should I tell the dealer in order to achieve the best results or point them in the right direction? Feedback is much appreciated. Also, I've seen discussion of two transmissions in the S. Do I have the Getrag or the Midlands box? I think car mfg date was 09/05.

Last edited by USCooper; 06-06-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM
USCooper
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I brought the MINI to the dealership this weekend and found out today they would be replacing the clutch. Should be no cost to me so this is ideal. Not sure yet if it was the throwout bearing or what, but I figured I'd be getting a new clutch. I've never had to replace a clutch before. What does it mean to have to "baby" it? Does that mean you don't drop the clutch quickly, etc.?

Old 05-15-2012, 03:54 PM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Disco
Found a video on YouTube showing the noise I think all of us are referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEieo...eature=related

On my 02' the noise only comes after some driving. The noise definitely gets worse in a hot summer day. Was anyone able to tackle this problem without replacing the whole clutch? My clutch is still running fine so I am hoping not having to drop the entire clutch to fix it.
Sounds like mine. http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=e5abb3a4.mp4

Old 05-15-2012, 04:12 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
yep, that's the noise!

The dealer replaced my entire clutch free of charge under warranty, so I'm good. I believe they said it was the "teeth" that were worn or not properly engaging(?)

However, since then (a year later) I have noticed that after long drives on hot days the clutch again starts to feel a little "heavy" and "creaky" to press in and out (it has the feeling of a hinge that needs lubrication).

Is it possible that when the clutch gets hot components are expanding and starting to bind?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:40 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Originally Posted by o-ron
yep, that's the noise!

The dealer replaced my entire clutch free of charge under warranty, so I'm good. I believe they said it was the "teeth" that were worn or not properly engaging(?)

However, since then (a year later) I have noticed that after long drives on hot days the clutch again starts to feel a little "heavy" and "creaky" to press in and out (it has the feeling of a hinge that needs lubrication).

Is it possible that when the clutch gets hot components are expanding and starting to bind?
Maybe... I don't know.

I do have some slipping, but it's not major. It's just between 1st and 2nd from what I can tell. I'm thinking of just riding along with it since I don't have a warranty and can't really afford it right now. I just don't want it to blow up and leave me stranded somewhere.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:22 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wonder if this is just one of those inherit traits of the MINI. I had the squeaky clutch pedal with my OEM clutch. I also have it now with my aftermarket clutch/flywheel.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
I wonder if this is just one of those inherit traits of the MINI. I had the squeaky clutch pedal with my OEM clutch. I also have it now with my aftermarket clutch/flywheel.
I wonder if it's the fork. I think you need to replace the fork/fork bushings when replacing the clutch - and from what I understand, shops don't just automatically do this.

I think my clutch is fine for now. I'm gonna wait till the slippage gets worse, I think.