Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

'Hey Horn' install

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Hey Horn' install

Hey all, I finally received my Hey Horn in the mail the other day (and just to preempt any arguments; yes, it was expensive; no, it wasn't really worth it; yes, it's stupid; no, I don't care! ) but I can't figure out the best place to install it! I was thinking about the ABS well, but I was worried that it might get wet in there and that it might be a bit too hot.

Does anyone know where it was intended to be installed, or the best place to install it? The instructions that came with it don't say, and I haven't got a response back from the company. (FYI - It's about the size of a typical car alarm horn, about a large-fist sized box.)

-Paul!

Old 08-11-2005, 09:17 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
What's a Hey horn? Does it go with "Hey Hey" guys:smile:

Old 08-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
What's a Hey horn? Does it go with "Hey Hey" guys:smile:
It's part of the latest MINI advertising compaign. They made a bunch of cheezy info-mercial type ads where they actually sell the product.

See here for more info!

-Paul!

Old 08-11-2005, 09:31 AM
JimCarhart
2nd Gear
http://www.motormate.com/heyhorn/infomercial.php

Imagine the double pump of one of those older tricycle horns. <whhut><whuut>"Nice booty".

I am appologize to all I have offended by this posting in advance. This posting is in no way to be construed as an endoresement for (or against) said product.

That is all.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:32 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Excellent. I would guess there is space where the factory alarm horn goes, on the passenger side engine bay up by the windshield cowl. Please take some photos and record some sounds for us when you are done.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jwardell
Excellent. I would guess there is space where the factory alarm horn goes, on the passenger side engine bay up by the windshield cowl. Please take some photos and record some sounds for us when you are done.
Will do!! I already took off the bumper thinking that there would be some room next to the stock horns, but there was no place to squeeze it in. It looks like the area you described would be the best place, but I just wanted to find out if there was a better one.

-Paul!

Old 08-11-2005, 10:16 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very humorous. I like. not for me, but I like.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:28 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Instead of starting a new topic, I was hoping I could get some help on this one. My wife wants to install some nice air horns into the car. Not the ones you buy at pep boys, but REAL air horns. THe ones with the compressor, air tank, and knock your socks off sound. I am looking around for space for them ,but I don't think I can find any!!! The only place I thought about putting the horns was in the front bumper (but from this thread it sounds like there is no room), and placing the compressor and air tank in the ABS area. I am thinking I may not be able to do it though. Does anyone know of any other horns available for the mini that are like 'sport horns' that make a higher pitched 'beep beep' instead of the honk the car makes now??? COnsidering my wife calls her mini her 'beep beep' it nees to have something different to its horns!!!

Though I do think it would be hilarious if you get a Mack truck honk coming out of a little mini. WOuld really scare people!!!

Old 08-11-2005, 10:32 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
LOL...I prefer my Whelen airhorn/PA:smile:

Old 08-11-2005, 10:49 AM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
I saw a guy with a Jeep CJ-5 one day who had a 5-note Diesel Locomotive horn mounted on the rollbar. Big-a$$ airtank in the back. That horn was the loudest, most attention getting horn I've ever heard. Although I'm not sure it would be prudent for the driver to actually activate the horn while in the car....

Something like this one:

Old 08-11-2005, 11:13 AM
neilgj
4th Gear
Check out this thread for ideas:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=47168

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Instead of starting a new topic, I was hoping I could get some help on this one. My wife wants to install some nice air horns into the car. Not the ones you buy at pep boys, but REAL air horns. THe ones with the compressor, air tank, and knock your socks off sound. I am looking around for space for them ,but I don't think I can find any!!! The only place I thought about putting the horns was in the front bumper (but from this thread it sounds like there is no room), and placing the compressor and air tank in the ABS area. I am thinking I may not be able to do it though. Does anyone know of any other horns available for the mini that are like 'sport horns' that make a higher pitched 'beep beep' instead of the honk the car makes now??? COnsidering my wife calls her mini her 'beep beep' it nees to have something different to its horns!!!

Though I do think it would be hilarious if you get a Mack truck honk coming out of a little mini. WOuld really scare people!!!

Old 08-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Better get it done soon, I wanna hear it.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm

I just replaced the stock horns with the PIAA electronic horns (500-600Hz twin) and am very satisfied with the result. Their sound is much louder, a bit "raspier" and higher-pitched that the stock horns and their "character" seems to be just right for the MINI. I'm not a big fan of air horns though their ability to get attention is unquestionable.

If you're interested, I should be able to post a sound clip.

Theo

Old 08-12-2005, 07:30 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
MOTD06...new event! Horn shoot out I'll be in line

Old 08-12-2005, 08:44 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Koopah
I just replaced the stock horns with the PIAA electronic horns (500-600Hz twin) and am very satisfied with the result. Their sound is much louder, a bit "raspier" and higher-pitched that the stock horns and their "character" seems to be just right for the MINI. I'm not a big fan of air horns though their ability to get attention is unquestionable.

If you're interested, I should be able to post a sound clip.

Theo
I'd love to be able to hear them to help make my decision!! Thanks again if you are able to post it. If you can't, would you mind e-mailing it to me at dennisnyholm@hotmail.com?? Thanks in advance!!

Old 08-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Here is the sound of the PIAA 500-600 Hz horns:

BEEP!

Theo

Old 11-28-2005, 07:03 PM
MiniBetterThanBeer
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul!
Hey all, I finally received my Hey Horn in the mail the other day (and just to preempt any arguments; yes, it was expensive; no, it wasn't really worth it; yes, it's stupid; no, I don't care! ) but I can't figure out the best place to install it! I was thinking about the ABS well, but I was worried that it might get wet in there and that it might be a bit too hot.

Does anyone know where it was intended to be installed, or the best place to install it? The instructions that came with it don't say, and I haven't got a response back from the company. (FYI - It's about the size of a typical car alarm horn, about a large-fist sized box.)

-Paul!
Hey Paul! Did you ever install your Hey Horn? I just received mine and was wondering if and how you did yours. Also, did you have any difficulty programming it to work the first time? I can't seem to get mine working. Thanks, in advance!

Old 03-24-2008, 12:40 PM
rdelar01
3rd Gear
Install tips

At Lauderdale MINI's 6th Anniversary party and Clubman Intro this past Saturday, they gave away gift bags containing, among many other things, the HEY HORN ( to Bonnie and her crew). Does anyone have any tips or feedback on where they finally installed their HEY HORN?

Old 03-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
The link is (mostly) broken...

Originally Posted by Koopah
Here is the sound of the PIAA 500-600 Hz horns:

BEEP!

Theo

Old 04-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rdelar01
At Lauderdale MINI's 6th Anniversary party and Clubman Intro this past Saturday, they gave away gift bags containing, among many other things, the HEY HORN ( to Bonnie and her crew). Does anyone have any tips or feedback on where they finally installed their HEY HORN?
I installed my Hey Horn in the well where the ABS brake actuator is. One note about it is it eats through a 9 volt *very* quickly! Expect about 2 days of use out of one battery, regardless of how much you use the horn.

I was going to figure out a way to safely wire it up to the car battery, but I never bothered.

-Paul!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
I know this is real old, but who had one?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
This is funny as hell. I think I got punked as one just showed up in the mail.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 AM
rdelar01
3rd Gear
I still have Mine....

Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
This is funny. Where did you install it?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 AM
rdelar01
3rd Gear
I put it in the well where the ABS brake actuator is. I took it out YEARS ago. Like the previous post said, It would eat 9v batteries in a couple days.

Quick Reply: 'Hey Horn' install