Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Noise in engine compartment...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 07:14 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noise in engine compartment...

These are odd questions - this is my first long term experience with the MINI, and do not know what to expect. I've usually judged the "health" of my engines by how they sounded. Not very scientific, I'll agree. I'm just trying to make sure the MINI sounds OK. I don't mind how it sounds - I'm just "concerned" that the sounds coming from the engine are good.

I've had my MC CVT for a week now, 395 miles (I know, not a lot), and think the engine noise is increasing - is this the way it behaves? It's hard to put a finger on, as I don't know what a MINI is supposed to sound like. I would assume some engine light would come on if something was awry. I don't mind the noise - just wondering.

The other thing I noticed - and I think this is the fan - is when I shut the car off, it sounds like a fan is stopping and slowing down fast. A noise I don't think I've ever heard in any other car.

If there is a sound clip of how the MINI should sound, I'd appreciate it!

John

Old 08-23-2005, 07:24 PM
STORMCOOPER
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had Two diffrent sounds...

I heard a knocking coming from what sounded like the Glove box. It almost paralleled the engine speed but took a life of it's own at times. Turns Out it is an engine mount!

Next there was a sound coming from the dash. The Dealer shop said they had head of this before and it was a three hour fix. Turned out to be a centering pin? I'm not to sure about that one but that is what they said.

If you are unsure if it sounds right go to your shop and have them take a look while it is still free to do so!

Old 08-23-2005, 07:42 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by STORMCOOPER
If you are unsure if it sounds right go to your shop and have them take a look while it is still free to do so!
Well, it's not really a knocking, just it sounds like the engine is louder. I'm going to check the oil tomorrow. No ticking. Like going from a lower to higher RPM. It's just hard to tell if it IS louder, as each day is different (temperature outside is colder/warmer, perhaps sound bounces differently).

Old 08-25-2005, 08:57 AM
lotsie
Banned
I find that MINI's are not quiet at idle when you are outside the car. But the engine on mine does not rattle or shake. Very steady at idle.

When in the car I hardly notice any sound, except the power steering pump whirring.

The rad fan, which hardly ever seems to run on mine has 2 speeds, on the high speed it sounds like a jet engine.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:10 AM
lvbltec
2nd Gear
eractic idle on cvt is somewhat normal

Old 08-26-2005, 05:53 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ururk
These are odd questions - this is my first long term experience with the MINI, and do not know what to expect. I've usually judged the "health" of my engines by how they sounded. Not very scientific, I'll agree. I'm just trying to make sure the MINI sounds OK. I don't mind how it sounds - I'm just "concerned" that the sounds coming from the engine are good.

I've had my MC CVT for a week now, 395 miles (I know, not a lot), and think the engine noise is increasing - is this the way it behaves? It's hard to put a finger on, as I don't know what a MINI is supposed to sound like. I would assume some engine light would come on if something was awry. I don't mind the noise - just wondering.

The other thing I noticed - and I think this is the fan - is when I shut the car off, it sounds like a fan is stopping and slowing down fast. A noise I don't think I've ever heard in any other car.

If there is a sound clip of how the MINI should sound, I'd appreciate it!

John
If its bothering you that much to be safe, bring it back to the dealer so they can look at it if there is a problem....

Old 08-26-2005, 06:26 AM
ururk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
If its bothering you that much to be safe, bring it back to the dealer so they can look at it if there is a problem....
I don't know. I checked the oil - everything is OK. The chrono pack says everything is OK (though other people say not to trust the chrono pack). I don't want to bring it in and them think I'm being too petty.

It doesn't shake, vibrate, etc... At least not that I can tell.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:38 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Listen.....Dont be skurd to bring it in....Thats what were here for.