Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

intermittant DSC light, simultaneous power loss...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Jeffy
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
intermittant DSC light, simultaneous power loss...

When my DSC light and service engine soon light comes on, I lose probably 20 horsepower! Is it possible to disable the DSC(which I don't use) permanently, so that I don't get this irritating computer response? I need the power for passing, as this one's not super-charged. Any tips will be appreciated! -Jeffy.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:37 PM
lsd05jcw
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shutting off dsc

I don't have dsc in my cooper s but do have the asc, which i shut off via a toggle switch below the radio... I think you can shut it off too......

Old 08-24-2005, 12:55 PM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
I think Ian has a solution much like his auto up windows. It reverse switches the DCS so that when you turn on your MINI the DSC is turned off (Light on-not flashing) and to turn DCS on you hit the toggle (light off). Here is a link to his site.

http://www.gbmini.net/MINIcircuit/index.shtml

Old 08-25-2005, 06:11 AM
Red05MCS
2nd Gear
If you are getting your DSC light and SES light at the same time, perhaps there is an electrical fault that needs attention.

Personally, I never shut the DSC off on the street. It is there to help you in an emergency, which, by definition, you don't plan for. DSC may be intrusive at times, but you should use its presence to alert you to the fact that you are exceeding the traction available to the tires. Without DSC, the tires would spin...no power loss, but no forward motion either so it is a wash.

IMHO...leave it on.

Old 08-25-2005, 06:27 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Confirming Red05 ...

When DSC activates to prevent wheel spin, it flashes on/off a few seconds and no other light comes on with it.
If it lights steady it is either turned off by you or, if there is another light too (SES, flat tire, etc) then there is a fault.

SES+DSC lights on steady together indicates a fault which you should get fixed - there might be a wheel sensor issue which would also impair ABS, or maybe there is an angle sensor problem.
Whatever the reason, you should take it to the dealership.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:13 AM
lvbltec
2nd Gear
everytime u turn the car on if u don't hit the dcs switch to turn it off (meaning the light stays steady on the dash) then the dcs is on stop hammering it from a start and spinning the tires and u will never know that it esists

Originally Posted by Jeffy
When my DSC light and service engine soon light comes on, I lose probably 20 horsepower! Is it possible to disable the DSC(which I don't use) permanently, so that I don't get this irritating computer response? I need the power for passing, as this one's not super-charged. Any tips will be appreciated! -Jeffy.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:42 AM
eVal
6th Gear
I agree with the others - there is something wrong for the DSC/SES to be doing what they are doing, you should should take the car in.

I can drive plenty aggressively, passing people, etc, without the DSC coming on.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:33 PM
mattcoon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jeffy
you have a problem that is causing the engine controller to fail. That's why you have the SES and sudden loss of power. Because the engine goes to limp home, the DSC lamp turns on. You should be able to read the codes from the engine and find the problem.