Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Random Static Sound from Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 08:48 PM
Antranik
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Random Static Sound from Speakers

I get annoying random static sounds coming out of one or two of my speakers. I don't know what's the cause of it. I took it to the dealer when I had a warranty and at the time I had a CD problem, so they replaced the radio/cdplayer unit. They solved my CD problem and they said the static sound was fixed as well, but that was not. Because it's very random, it's hard to trace and take to the dealer to have them figure it out.

This started happening after a previous service visit over a year ago. I was complaining about the rattling/buzzing in the door when the music was played loud and so they fixed it somehow, probably by adding padding or foam in the door panel, and ever since then i've been getting a random static sound. The first time it happened my passenger got scared, lol. I turned the car on (only electronics, not the engine or radio) and this random static sound for a fraction of a second would start happening and you could barely figure where it's coming from.

Some extra notes.. if it's cold (below 50) and my car stays outside overnight, the sound will almost surely be occuring the moment the electronics go on for a good few minutes. It will occur regardless of the radio being on, as long as the power is on (key is in and turned to ON). Anyone know what it could be?

Old 09-08-2005, 02:02 PM
blindfold7
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this only happen for two or three seconds at a time? It may be interference from your cell phone.

When I pick up or hang up a call, or when the phone syncs with the network periodically, I get two or three seconds of static-y buzzing from the speakers (Cingular service). Usually the phone has to be close to the head unit for this to happen. The same thing happens with my home stereo, clock radio, etc. The same thing happens with my girlfriend's phone (also Cingular), as well as my buddy's Nextel phone (although the niose sounds different).

I'm not sure if this is what is causing the noise, but you could check by making a call with the radio on but turned down, and holding the phone close to the head unit.

HTH

Bryan

Old 09-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this also happens to my wife WITHOUT even having to make a call. it's definately her cell phone. she has to turn it off if she is in the car. (yeah, i know, rediculous. it's a newer model nokia)