Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2005 issues...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 10:09 AM
DoubleNick
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 MCS (7/04 build). Weepy--better than my term--strange excretion from the rear washer. Also, the 3100-3200 rpm "stumble--hesitation" when not getting into it. My solution--get into it. Passenger seat back--plastic won't stay in place-- upper seat pops out. Almost 13 months with BUD--7,300 miles. I went from a '01 modded Vette (bought new) to an 05 MCS. Best car move I ever made--and that's over 40 yrs of car buying. Not nearly the fastest, but the most legal fun I have had in a car since I could climb in the back seat because there was more room. I have a great memory!!

Old 09-16-2005, 10:15 AM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 MCS, February build, 4,400 miles, no problems, no dealer visits to date.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Hammer
4th Gear
Starts to lose traction when cornering at speeds over 60 mph.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:31 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
My 05 has various noises coming from the dash and both windows. They are tinted, so the dealer doesn't want to touch them, but I don't see why that really makes a huge difference.

They tried to fix the dash noises (coming from both extreme ends in the vents) but the failed and now there are louder noises coming from elsewhere.

I'd love this to be fixed, but it is not major enough for me to stress over.

I had a belt squeal and that was fixed by replacing the fan belt.

dec 04 build, about 15000 miles.

oh yea, didn't rotate the runflats and the fronts are almost gone. boo hoo, I'm really sad about that.

mb

Old 09-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I just took delivery of my 2005 on Tuesday 9/13/05. I have 205 miles on it and so far, I've had a coolant leak (dealer forgot to tighten cap during PDI), the front seat trim by the handle to move the seat forward and back has broken off, and the chrom on the toggle switch for the DSC seems to be peeling or seomthing, it feels very rough unlike the other switches. But still its a blast to drive and I love it regardless!
Steve

Old 09-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Tit
5th Gear
I'm not sure what bubble wrap is supposed to sound like, other than when you pop the bubbles!

However, I have Nov 04 (first month of the 05's) build car....so far I've been fairly lucky....

minor problems I've had:

- rear seat belt latch squeeks loudly when there's a passenger in the back; which is rare..so I ignore it
- I have a squeek somewhere behind my right ear (I'm in a LHD car) about where you adjust the height of the seat belt....I've played with it, but it won't go away.....it annoys me sometimes.....so the stereo volume goes up.
- stumble. My car was almost stalling when I was at idle. It would also punish me if I didn't get the revs up straight away off the line. This problem has been discussed ad nauseum on NAM. I put the latest software version on (about three weeks ago) and it was a bit better.

I have recently put the MTH tuner file on (at the moment I only have an Alta CAI) and now the car dosen't hesitate at all. It's smooth and linear from the line, all the way to red-line. This is much better because I don't launch like I'm in a drag race at every set of lights (sometimes I like to just cruuuuuuzzzzzzzee ). It's still rev-hungry, but at least the car dosen't shake like a frozen puppy if you don't get it above 3500rpm straight away!

Old 09-16-2005, 04:10 PM
rigidjunkie
6th Gear
Don't know if this is total BS or not, but on mini2 there is a thread about the rear wipper and it has been blamed on a substance sprayed on cars corssing the Atlantic for protection. The dealer is supossed to clean it all off, but the new wipper setup ends up holding some and as the car experiences temp changes the fluid drips out and created the stain. Not sure if this is true or not, but many people said it went away after a month or so. My PW looks like poo with the stain, but I have solved it by washing every day

Old 09-16-2005, 05:23 PM
YYC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DoubleNick
05 MCS (7/04 build).... Also, the 3100-3200 rpm "stumble--hesitation" when not getting into it. My solution--get into it.
Same "stumble-hesitation" at 3K rpm...same solution!!! :smile: :smile:

Old 09-17-2005, 12:34 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lsd05jcw
Hate to start this, but would like to know if anyone has had these issues I have experienced with my 2005... Love the car, but plan to get details/problems looked into and possibly fixed at my 10k check up. Also, just curious if any other 2005's have unique personality issues (also known as problems)

1) Bubble wrap noise in dash at about 40 degree mark, sounds like bubble wrap or sand being thrown at windshield.. dealer once looked at this but couldn't duplicate
2) Passenger and driver front window rattle a bit when closing or opening door with window up
3) window on driver side doesn't always go down 1/8 inch when closing/opening
4) cold start stumble in morning, which apparently happens to most model years..
5) engine idle doesn't feel as smooth my 2004 did.. idles fine, but with a bit of a diesel roughness....

but, car is much faster, more enjoyable, and love the LSD...........
1) I had this also. This is caused by aluminum honeycomb spacers inside the dash that are extremely strong when set perfectly, but if something bumps against them, they cause a lot of noise - the metal is extremely thin, almost like heavy tin foil. After many trips to the dealer, replacing the spacers and lots of head scratching, they finally figured out the windsheild had been set a fraction of an inch too low at the factory. They reset the windsheild and the noise has disappeared. In my car it would show up when the car was very warm.
2) I have noticed this also, but it isn't very pronounced on my car, so I just ignore it - no one else notices it besides me
3) I haven't had this issue - have heard that when the car is very cold this happens occasionally
4) Also had it, but as others have stated, seemed to be a gas issue
5) No complaints

Old 09-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Johnny L
4th Gear
Hi, all. I have a March build, and I am happy to report that none of the probablems mentioned above have occurred. I think that I might hear something coming from the LSD (i.e., the "grinding" noise at extreme lock), but it seems inconsistent, and it has never bothered me. The more I rev up the motor, the less I hear it!

There is one thing I noticed. When the windows are rolled up all the way, I can hear them moving against the rubber seals. It doesn't sound like a rattle, but I do hear something. I have also heard a dash rattle, but that only seems to happen when it's cold and only occasionally at that.

My overall impression so far is that the '05--like just about any new car--is basically trouble free. It's the 3-5% that you always hear about. My only complaint is that I don't have as much time as I'd like to drive it!

Old 09-17-2005, 04:06 PM
lvbltec
2nd Gear
how many miles u got

Originally Posted by mikem53
My 05 has a rattle type of noise coming from the center top of the dash.
The LSD makes a moaning noise when going slow around corners or backing out of the driveway with the wheels turned..
Some say this is normal...

Old 09-17-2005, 04:10 PM
lvbltec
2nd Gear
if it a automatic then there is a programing recall that u should get

Originally Posted by skywarrior
3000 miles and 3 months produced the weeping hatch window, Engine service light, which the dealer fixed with a replacement sensor and an item which I have had since day one and wonder if it is a normal situation i.e. supercharged engine stumbles between 3100 and 3200 rpm. Otherwise it runs like a fine watch. Is this a transition range where the supercharger cuts in? Can the stumble be adjusted/eliminated?

Old 09-17-2005, 04:15 PM
lvbltec
2nd Gear
good point to bring up a/c drain a few drains have been installed wrong at the factory if u feel your carpet getting wet bring it in quick or u may end up losing it for a few weeks

Originally Posted by BBoy
I've heard what I think you're calling the "bubble wrap" noise. I assumed it was something to do with the A/C (condensation drainage sound perhaps?).

I also had the rough idle after starting it on a cold morning issue. I took it to the dealer and they said this is normal and not bad for the engine. They reccomended consistantly using a namebrand fuel that you find doesn't cause the issue. Since this is common (according to all the threads about it here on NAM), and MINIs still seem to go long and strong, and hold their resale value, I'm not sweating it.

For all the other issues (especially the window related ones), I'd say make sure the dealer fixes it. In fact, make an appointment now.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
1. Yes, last winter. Like lots of small bubbles bursting. Haven't heard it in a while.
2. No.
3. No.
4. No.
5. Idles fine when warmed up, misses a beat once in a while when cold. So do I.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:39 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
05 Cabrio MC built Sept 04. 11,000 miles. New roof, new side rear windows. Other than that absolutley no problems. Runs much better than my 03 Coupe. Rattles? Can't hear them if I have them. Top is always down

Lois

Old 09-18-2005, 09:34 PM
Capn_Panic
2nd Gear
I've got a June 2005 build '05 and the only problems I have seen are the leaky rear wiper and a problem with the driver-side seat position memory thing.

When I press the seat-forward lever to let someone into the back seat, the seat refuses to slide forward. Only the seat back tilts forward. This was something that worked just fine for the first 3 weeks or so I had the car, although I probably only used it a half dozen times. There was a thread in the int/ext mods forum that someone started asking about this issue, but I was the only one to reply. Has no one else had problems with the seats?

Old 09-19-2005, 02:29 PM
brgfan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rigidjunkie
Don't know if this is total BS or not, but on mini2 there is a thread about the rear wipper and it has been blamed on a substance sprayed on cars corssing the Atlantic for protection. The dealer is supossed to clean it all off, but the new wipper setup ends up holding some and as the car experiences temp changes the fluid drips out and created the stain. Not sure if this is true or not, but many people said it went away after a month or so. My PW looks like poo with the stain, but I have solved it by washing every day
I had this problem but it seems to have gone away. I thought it was because the wiper fluid sloshed to the back under accelaration, and trickled out when the reservoir was full. When it stopped, I thought it was because I'd used enought fluid to lower the level in the reservoir, but it may be that the explaination you got is the correct one.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:37 PM
jrock
1st Gear
Almost 7000 miles on mine (Aug '05 build), haven't noticed any of the problems you have mentioned. Just lots of happy motoring. :smile:

Old 09-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Super Coop
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My '05 MCS w/ 14K sounds like there's a dragonfly caught in the dash. The dealer "fixed" it per a service bulletin when I took it in for an oil service. The "dragonfly" has not yet read the bulletin and the car still has a buzzing from in there somewhere. That's my only complaint.

Old 09-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
I have a 2005 MC with 5000 miles. So far, no problems. Zip. Nada. Runs like a top.

Knock on wood.
Same.

Old 09-20-2005, 04:08 PM
go_mini_go
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
I have a 2005 MC with 5000 miles. So far, no problems. Zip. Nada. Runs like a top.

Knock on wood.
Same here, except for a clicking drivers side half shaft. In for service on Friday @ 5500mi

Old 12-15-2005, 05:32 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
2005 MCS with 15,000miles, Build date - Sept 2004...

Only issues I have encountered include: passenger seat frame died and needed replacing. Slave cylinder for the clutch died and was replaced. Clutch pedal stuck to the floor! Always an interesting experience!

For some strange reason, my clutch pedal feels a bit soft(er) right now and I plan to put on a 15% pulley next month! I will have the pedal/clutch checked out prior to save me the hassel of having a potential problem after I install the pulley. With all of the talk about warranty issues, I am hesitant on giving MINI the opportunity to decline warranty work for any issues I might encounter!

Old 12-15-2005, 06:10 PM
andromcs
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the crackling...seems to have stopped. I think things have just settled-in over the 11,750 miles.

All else is well and lovin' it.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:08 PM
Hyper!!!Blue!!!
3rd Gear
My car had the cold start stumble, but I haven't had the car do that in months now. It might be because of the gas mixture in the winter compared to the summertime, I dunno. I guess I'll see if it comes back when it warms back up .

Old 12-16-2005, 10:14 AM
lvbltec
2nd Gear
may have an issue with the release cable

Originally Posted by Capn_Panic
I've got a June 2005 build '05 and the only problems I have seen are the leaky rear wiper and a problem with the driver-side seat position memory thing.

When I press the seat-forward lever to let someone into the back seat, the seat refuses to slide forward. Only the seat back tilts forward. This was something that worked just fine for the first 3 weeks or so I had the car, although I probably only used it a half dozen times. There was a thread in the int/ext mods forum that someone started asking about this issue, but I was the only one to reply. Has no one else had problems with the seats?

Quick Reply: 2005 issues...