Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

xenon headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 07:38 PM
agile_moments
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xenon headlight problem

The past couple nights when I've started my car and turned the headlights on, I've noticed that after a few seconds, the lights flicker and either get brighter or dimmer, I can't really tell. If I flip on the bright lights, turn the lights off a few times, it seems to go away. Anyone have an idea what this is?

Old 10-30-2005, 07:49 AM
lotsie
Banned
As I understand it the xenon is the gas that ignites the gas(can't remember what gas) that is really what is lighting your way. The xenon has a lower ignition temp. than the other gas. So when you turn on the lights, the xenon ignites, which in turn ignites the other gas. As this is happening the lights get brighter, and flicker.

They are not really burning xenon all the time, so they are really High Intensity Discharge lamps, or HIDs.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:27 PM
agile_moments
4th Gear
right, but it just started doing this

Old 11-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Big Dave
1st Gear
Xenon headlight problem

I 've just posted my first thread about problems I'm having with my Xenon's. Mine won't come on at all on one side so I've been trying to figure the system out. So far I have heard that the problem you're describing relates to an igniter module thats going bad. There are a number of "modules"
that provide different functions within the Xenon headlight system - a control module (on the bottom of the headlight ***'y.), an igniter module (within the headlight ***'y.), and a leveling module (within the dash by the glove box).

If you've fixed this I'd like to hear what the problem turned out to be. May help me troubleshoot my problem.

Thanks,

Old 11-29-2005, 04:19 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Perfectly normal for HID lamps to flicker on startup. The bright flashes are the solid metal halide salts revaporizing. If you watch industrial halide lamps start up (like the warehouse ceiling lamps used by Costco) they give off very bright flashes of different colors as they warm up over a minute. Automotive ballasts are designed to blast voltage through the bulb so they warm up in seconds, and any flashing or flickering is abbreviated.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:38 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
When you turn on the HID, the first thing that happens is a sudden burst of yellowish light then it dims slightly. Soon after (within a second), it glow bluer and brighter and the point of aim will rise or lower as the system levels it self depending on your Mini's attitude. If you turn it off and on, it will pretty much be where it was at without much compensation.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:17 AM
omascow
3rd Gear
Mine did the flicker/ flash thing, then the control module went out and it was bye bye headlight. My dealer said that they have seen that type of thing many times, so it's possible that yours is getting ready to quit on you. No harm to have it checked out if you can get to your dealer.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:14 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by omascow
Mine did the flicker/ flash thing, then the control module went out and it was bye bye headlight. My dealer said that they have seen that type of thing many times, so it's possible that yours is getting ready to quit on you. No harm to have it checked out if you can get to your dealer.
I don't think so...it does this everytime from day one...same as other Minis

Old 01-31-2006, 07:12 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
i'm having my xenon looked at thursday morning. during night motoring it oft likes to flicker, burn duller than its counterpart, flash brightly at random, and black out for short periods of time. It will be very hard to repeat in a garage daylight setting. So we'll see how that goes.

Old 02-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a problem with my passenger side xenon, one night it started to flicker then went completely out. I also had moisture in both assemblies, so I just had my dealer replace them both.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Normalizer
4th Gear
Just noticed that my right side light is out today, and warranty ran out on car about 6 months ago.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:36 AM
GMINIO
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GMINIO
i'm having my xenon looked at thursday morning. during night motoring it oft likes to flicker, burn duller than its counterpart, flash brightly at random, and black out for short periods of time. It will be very hard to repeat in a garage daylight setting. So we'll see how that goes.
I found a dealership that believes me. They also had a bulletin in hand. Replaced bulb and control unit. So far so good. A+ MINI of Fairfield County.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:36 AM
Normalizer
4th Gear
Took my car in yesterday, was diagnosed as a bad xenon bulb and replaced for around $350.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:49 PM
rottenron
1st Gear
My way to test the head light is to be sure the coil has power next switch the left to right bulb Still no light You need the control/coil unit
Good Luck
Rottenron

Old 02-23-2006, 09:09 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have HID halo's on the BMW and they flicker/dim and then get brighter after startup. Cold affects them greatly. But, it seems the your igniter/module might be on it's way out.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:40 PM
5th Gear
Check the control module label and see if it says AL or ZKW.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Newdl
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine just started to flicker tonight....DARN...i thought i might make it a few months w/o a trip to the dealer....guess not!

Old 02-25-2006, 08:14 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Newdl
mine just started to flicker tonight....DARN...i thought i might make it a few months w/o a trip to the dealer....guess not!

If that's not JUST the reason i head over there with such a list. (well that and the evident decomposition of my beloved MINI)

Old 02-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Newdl
5th Gear
gminio,
I dont think i have ever been to the dealer w/o a 3 or 4 point list for them.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:22 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
fkin minis.

great taste, btw! (as in u have - not that i eat cars)

Old 02-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Newdl
5th Gear
Thanks bud you 2, do you have AIM? I have a few questions for you

Old 02-25-2006, 08:53 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
i'll send you a pm

Old 04-06-2010, 04:12 PM
hoganl
Neutral
Flickering Lights....Bulletin?

Originally Posted by GMINIO
I found a dealership that believes me. They also had a bulletin in hand. Replaced bulb and control unit. So far so good. A+ MINI of Fairfield County.
I have a 2004 Mini S I only drive in the summer. It just hit 50,000 miles last summer. The end of last summer I had "the flickering lights." It sounds like the same problem everyone wrote about here. You say they (the dealer) had a bulletin in hand when you went to get the lights repaired. Do you know the number of the bulletin or contents of the bulletin? Thank for any info or help .

Old 06-08-2010, 04:17 AM
DCMorrison
Neutral
Originally Posted by Big Dave
I 've just posted my first thread about problems I'm having with my Xenon's. Mine won't come on at all on one side so I've been trying to figure the system out. So far I have heard that the problem you're describing relates to an igniter module thats going bad. There are a number of "modules"
that provide different functions within the Xenon headlight system - a control module (on the bottom of the headlight ***'y.), an igniter module (within the headlight ***'y.), and a leveling module (within the dash by the glove box).

If you've fixed this I'd like to hear what the problem turned out to be. May help me troubleshoot my problem.

Thanks,
My buddy has been having the same problem with his drivers side Xenon headlight. He assumed it was the headlight bulb when it first started so had that and the igniter replaced ($272) but the problem remains.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 AM
command
Neutral
Problem is Ballast ,you need chage it. xenon bulb is OK

BTW MINI oem xenon ballast like this

Quick Reply: xenon headlight problem