Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Can you purchase a factory service manual for the new minis?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 02:29 PM
mr.clean
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am really curious as to the availability of a factory service manual. Either CD or hard copy. I have 3/36k to have the dealer do all the dirty work, but curious none the less.

Old 02-05-2003, 02:57 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
there is a company that sells the manual on CD it costs over 200. i am thinking of purchasing it shortly. here is there info I recieved

"Thank you for your inquiry. We can provide you with the following literature pertaining to a 2002-2003 Mini Cooper S:

Technical Information System (TIS) CD-rom 10/2002 $ 210.00 including shipping

System Requirements: Windows 95, 98 or higher

Acceptable forms of payment:
a) American Express by FAX or phone
b) VISA and Mastercard accepted at Paypal over the internet available at http://www.paypal.com. Our payment address at PayPal is "seal11@aol.com"
c) Cash sent by Western Union directed to our address below
d) A postal money order in US Dollars shipped to us by Express Mail

Best Regards,

Barry Jay Schiff
Schiff European Automotive Literature Inc.
881 Dyer Avenue
Cranston, RI 02920
(888) 789-6882 toll-free
(401) 946-4711
(401) 946-5785 fax
seal11@aol.com
http://www.schiffeuropean.com "

Old 02-05-2003, 03:01 PM
mr.clean
1st Gear
Thanks 'dub,
At least it's available. It'll take some more thinking on my end though. I can afford to wait a little to see if the $ goes down.
M.C.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:11 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I believe they are available on ebay much cheaper. Also as people get them they will be burning and becoming even more available. Also I think they only come on cd

Old 02-06-2003, 03:16 PM
rataha
5th Gear
just looked
5 disc set 2002 buy it now price 39.95
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34211

Old 02-06-2003, 03:41 PM
FraserBonnett
3rd Gear
That one's gone ... I just bought it!

Old 02-06-2003, 03:53 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
>>That one's gone ... I just bought it!
Well it looks like you bought some parts Cd's . The TIS CD, which is the manual that we all want does not cover the Mini Cooper.

I think i might order the CD from http://www.schiffeuropean.com tonight if I get bored enough hmmmm Digital camcorder that will never get used or CD manual for a Mini Cooper???

Decisions, Decisions

Old 02-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>> hmmmm Digital camcorder that will never get used or CD manual for a Mini Cooper???
>>
>>Decisions, Decisions

Old 02-06-2003, 05:50 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
I just spoke with one of my friends (parts manager at a bmw dealer) and was told that if I tried to get the TIS and ETKA cd's they would not work with out the proper login and password. I think i am just going to order the CD's from http://www.schiffeuropean.com

Old 02-06-2003, 07:39 PM
8ball
6th Gear
>>.......the TIS and ETKA cd's they would not work with out the proper login and password. ........

The TIS's out there are for the One and the Cooper but the 'S' one is the one that seems to be missing; the ETK covers all three (One, Cooper and 'S') and as far as the password thing, that doesn't appear to hold water - i can say no more ...

Old 02-07-2003, 11:05 AM
rataha
5th Gear
>>>>That one's gone ... I just bought it!
>>Well it looks like you bought some parts Cd's . The TIS CD, which is the manual that we all want does not cover the Mini Cooper.
>>
>>I think i might order the CD from http://www.schiffeuropean.com tonight if I get bored enough hmmmm Digital camcorder that will never get used or CD manual for a Mini Cooper???
>>
>>Decisions, Decisions

Got a CD Burner??????

Old 02-07-2003, 12:34 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear

>>
>>Got a CD Burner??????
>>

Yes I do.

Old 02-07-2003, 12:47 PM
mr.clean
1st Gear
I'd like to get in on that!

Old 02-07-2003, 12:54 PM
W3IWI
5th Gear
>>That one's gone ... I just bought it!
Not really -- Looks like he has LOTS!!!! More.

Are we certain that these cover MCS?

Old 02-07-2003, 01:10 PM
TestDriver
Neutral
>>>>.......the TIS and ETKA cd's they would not work with out the proper login and password. ........
>>
>> The TIS's out there are for the One and the Cooper but the 'S' one is the one that seems to be missing; the ETK covers all three (One, Cooper and 'S') and as far as the password thing, that doesn't appear to hold water - i can say no more ...
>>

I can tell you first hand that they do require a password. I have the TIS and ETK CD's, and I had to have a password before they would work.
They include all BMW information (including motorcycles,) but unfortunately, not all MINI info. There's no Cooper S, and it won't acknowledge MINI vehicle ID codes (the last 7 characters of the VIN: mine's TE15704, and it tells me it's not a valid number.)
What I really want is the diagnostic system info (DIS)

I'm going to call Schiffeuropean when they are open, and I'll see what they can do.

I'm really curious about that $39.95 set. When you get it, let us know if it works.

Happy motoring,
Steve

Old 02-07-2003, 01:31 PM
FraserBonnett
3rd Gear
I shall provide a full report once I get my grubby little mits on it.

Old 02-08-2003, 03:21 AM
mcs
Neutral
>>I shall provide a full report once I get my grubby little mits on it.
>>
I will also be waiting for that report. My UK dealer claims that service CDs don't exist, and that they get any information directly online from BMW. Think this is probably just to deter me from pestering them. I would like the MCS manuals.

Old 02-08-2003, 09:45 AM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
Well I ordered my Cd's and should have them here next week. I will give a full report.

Old 02-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Well I ordered my Cd's and should have them here next week. I will give a full report.

Old 02-09-2003, 10:42 AM
ragbagger
Neutral
OK here is the deal:

The BMW manual is broken up on to 5 CDs. The ones you really need are TIS ( this has all the repair instructions)and ETK( this is the illustrated parts list). You can buy them on ebay for about $20 for early 2002 copys. Unfortunately these versions cover only Cooper (R50) on the TIS but cover both(R50 and R53) on ETK. For the latest ones you have to go to Schiff and they want $200 each. I bought last years for $20 and they are adequate for now. I would wait a year for new ones until the price comes down. If anyone wants to go in one the new ones and copy them let me know, I'm game.

Brad

Old 02-09-2003, 10:50 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Folks, I suggest that if you want to continue this conversation you take it off line. The discussion of making illegal copies of copyrighted material is probably not something we want to continue on MCO...IMHO. Remember, BMW (MINIUSA) is monitoring these conversations at least periodically. Do what your own ethics allow, but no need to involve our entire community.

Old 02-10-2003, 06:49 AM
rataha
5th Gear
>>Folks, I suggest that if you want to continue this conversation you take it off line. The discussion of making illegal copies of copyrighted material is probably not something we want to continue on MCO...IMHO. Remember, BMW (MINIUSA) is monitoring these conversations at least periodically. Do what your own ethics allow, but no need to involve our entire community.

To some extent I agree. However MINI should see the light and make this info available

Old 02-10-2003, 08:36 AM
vdubdoug
6th Gear

>>
>>vdubdoug: So, should I be expecting a Digi-camcorder soon?

OOPPSSS I spent that Digital camcorder money on somw X lites with runflats this weekend, as well as Food. No more $$$$$

i should have my Cd's this week. I will let every one know what i think of them.

And if MiniUsa is watching this Maybee they can help me get a deposit back from a Certian dealer That refuses to Call ME Back!!!!!!

Who ever said anything about making copies.??????

Old 02-10-2003, 01:55 PM
rataha
5th Gear
I noticed on the Monster Garage thread, A MINI representative claiming the cars are highly customizable. Apparently they meant only if you are willing to pay BMW to customize it. I don't want there trade secrets I just want a manual with enough info to work on my car. Sorry i will quit ranting now.

Old 02-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Daron
2nd Gear
If BMW was smart they would sell the info and profit from it now, as opposed to waiting. I can tell you from experience that the information will be smuggled out and shared underground if and when the demand exists. GM has suffered from this for years, keeping what they rightfully claim is proprietary information ( ECM programming strategies) only to be undermined by employees helping their buddies hack ecms.. They do have a stake in keeping the info close hold though. The less people know, the more apt dealers will be the repair place of choice. This strategy also keeps their chosen tuner/upgrade companies ahead of the rest of the aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Can you purchase a factory service manual for the new minis?