Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How can I replace a foglight without removing the bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 12:52 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I replace a foglight without removing the bumper?

Yea the title pretty much says it all. I ordered some Xenon fog lights on Friday, and will recieve them this week. When I put on my M7 UG I had to take off the entire front bumper. Wasn't too hard but it was a PITA. First because there's about 500 screws, nuts, and bolts, second because there are three different heads needed for them, and third my bumper wasn't level until I had my dealer level it for me. So removing the bumper is something I would rather NOT do.

Thanks for any help!

Chili aka "MIKEY"

Old 11-13-2005, 12:55 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What exactly did you buy? and how are they going to fit.

Bentley say to change the bulb go in by the fender liner. DO a search, its been discussed many times

Old 11-13-2005, 12:58 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, all you need to do is remove the inner fender liner. It's held in by some plastic clips that have a philips head screw in the middle. Unscrew the middle part and the clip will just pull out.

Old 11-13-2005, 01:04 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
yea sweet! I just was reading a thread about them!
I got these that were discussed in my Xenon fog light thread. $11.98 plus $6.95 shipping on ebay, they have a lifetime replacement warranty and no questions asked refund policy, and they look just like the fog lights in the MCS.

Old 11-13-2005, 01:09 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
I got these that were discussed in my Xenon fog light thread. $11.98 plus $6.95 shipping on ebay, they have a lifetime replacement warranty and no questions asked refund policy, and they look just like the fog lights in the MCS.
OK, should fit, just pop out old ones and pop those in

but Chili, you do know they are not Xenon. They are like PIAAs.

See here http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html
You will be seeing LESS, not more with them. Just so you know

Old 11-13-2005, 01:14 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
yea, actually they are. It even says so in their product discription:
You want real, bright and pure white lighting ? You also want this cool blue effect without affecting the luminosity output and, of course, without getting unwanted police attention ? Don`t look further. We achieved the best bulbs by using highest quality materials such as translucent quartz, industrial grade tungsten filament, molybdenum foil, and filling gases consisting of a combination of Nitrogen (N2), Argon (AR), Krypton (Kr) and a small amount of halogen gas made up of iodine (I), bromine (Br), chlorine (Cl), and fluorine (F). The base of the lamp is made of steatite or heat-resistant industrial grade metal. Using very high quality components is the only way to obtain maximum lumens output with standard wattage. Our bulbs produce NO yellow light at all. Perfectly balanced between "blue" light and effective "white" light. Don`t be fooled by vendors who pretend that high "K" measurements ( blue tint ) is better: it`s absolutely not true for reasons mentioned above.

How is it possible to offer such great product for this ultra low price ? It`s simple: we are buying in huge quantities directly from the manufacturer. Also, less money is wasted on useless eye-catching packaging and more is spent on bulbs quality. In fact, we are focusing on what it counts really: the final result on your vehicle and bulbs lifetime which is obviously a major problem with other bulbs sold on the market.

Old 11-13-2005, 01:19 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
You read daniel stern?

As long as your happy, thats all that matters

Old 11-13-2005, 01:53 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, I didn't read Xenon anywhere in that description but it doesn't really matter. As long as you want good looks and no fog performance, they should be fine. In the fog, you actually want a yellow light.

Also about Xenon bulbs... not all bulbs are made the same. Some bulbs are only filled with a small % Xenon gas and advertized as Xenon.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:07 PM
eVal
6th Gear
I think that the common understanding of Xenon lights is not just the presence of Xenon gas but that the lights are true HIDs - for example when your order your Mini with Xenons the lights are HIDs with ballasts, etc not just halogen fixures with bulbs with some Xenon gas in them. So based on that I don't think most people consider that adding the bulbs creates Xenon lights.

Old 11-13-2005, 03:08 PM
danbanger
4th Gear
I think you only need to remove 7 screws to remove front bumper: 3 on bottom, 2 on the top middle, and 2 next to the side refelectors.

Old 11-13-2005, 03:29 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
They were advertised as Halogen fog lights on ebay. I really don't get alot of fog in my neck of the woods anyway so it doesn't matter. The fog that we do get isn't that bad anyway. I'll do a comparison on here to the brightness with a camera, so I can see the unbiased(results of photo) that the camera picks up.

Old 11-13-2005, 03:41 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
I think that the common understanding of Xenon lights is not just the presence of Xenon gas but that the lights are true HIDs - for example when your order your Mini with Xenons the lights are HIDs with ballasts, etc not just halogen fixures with bulbs with some Xenon gas in them. So based on that I don't think most people consider that adding the bulbs creates Xenon lights.
Exactly. Your not getting Xenon bulbs for $15. Try like $150 each that run at 35 watts (very efficient) and the ballast start the thing at like 30K+ volts (or whatever). The purple painted bulbs are japanese knockoffs trying to capitilize on the purple light craze ... but thats oK, its called free enterprise

Old 11-13-2005, 06:17 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Various gases are commonly added to incandescent bulbs to make them burn brighter or last longer. That's why we see xenon, krypton, and halogen flashlight bulbs. For some reason people started referring to HID/halide metal arc lamps as "xenons," even though incandescent bulbs may also be properly referred to as such. So they might really be "xenon bulbs," though not what some people think that is.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:24 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BFG9000
Various gases are commonly added to incandescent bulbs to make them burn brighter or last longer. That's why we see xenon, krypton, and halogen flashlight bulbs. For some reason people started referring to HID/halide metal arc lamps as "xenons," even though incandescent bulbs may also be properly referred to as such. So they might really be "xenon bulbs," though not what some people think that is.

True, I just think that in the context of BMW/MINI the fact that the HIDs are named xenons makes for the inference.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:31 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
so any pics yet?

Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
They were advertised as Halogen fog lights on ebay. I really don't get alot of fog in my neck of the woods anyway so it doesn't matter. The fog that we do get isn't that bad anyway. I'll do a comparison on here to the brightness with a camera, so I can see the unbiased(results of photo) that the camera picks up.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:45 AM
paulo500
3rd Gear
Xenons bulbs dont cost $11.95...try $250
Plus xenons require a whole new wiring schmatic and power supply.
But hey if ya get the 'blue/white' look out of these bulbs, then 11.95 aint bad

Old 06-21-2006, 09:58 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
watever you do, make sure you get the right wattage. ive seen
harnesses melt from people running too high of a wattage.

im not sure i'd want to be running some pos cheepo's on my car...
they become part of the electrical system pulling significant power.