Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Tranny Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 09:43 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tranny Fluid Change

Does anyone have a halfway decent DIY for a tranny fluid change?

I dont wanna drain the fluid only to find out that i have to halfway dissasemble the engine bay to get at a fill plug.

I plan on using Redline MTF, anyone have any other suggestions before i go buy fluid?

at the very least, where do you fill the tranny at, wheres the drain plug at and whats the capacity of the tranny as far as fluid goes?

Old 12-09-2005, 04:40 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Page 230-4 and 230-5 of the Bently MINI Cooper Service Manual states:

"Manual transmissions installed in MINI models are normally filled with 'Lifetime' manual transmission fluid and do not require periodic fluid changes."

However, it then goes on to say that the fill plug is located to the right side of the drive axle. Drive the vehicle for a few miles to warm the transmission. Raise and safely support the vehicle to access the transmission fill plug. Unscrew the drain plug and drain the fluid into a suitable container, clean the drain plug and reinstall. Unscrew the transmission fill plug and fill the transmission until fluid overflows slightly. Clean the fill plug and reinstall.

It also says: CAUTION - Make sure the car is stable and well supported at all times. Use a professional automotive lift or jack stands designed for that purpose. A floor jack is not adequate support.

Please, never crawl under the car while it is being supported by a floor jack. They can fail, and I have personally seen a fellow crushed by a car falling off of the jack. It was at Christmas time about 15 years ago, and he left behind a wife and two beautiful little girls...

edit: Actually, I drove by their house right after it happened. I understand that the wife started screaming, and two neighbors (men) responded by going out there and they lifted the car (BY HAND, 3000 lbs.) off of him while his wife grabbed his legs and pulled him out from underneath. By then, however, it was too late...

edit part II: I also assume that you have the manual transmission. Refill capacity for the Cooper is 2.1 quarts, the Cooper S with Getrag is 1.5 quarts.

edit part III: Not-so-rednwhitecooper - I didn't mean to offend you with my little preaching. You probably know more about jacking and working on a car than I do. However, I realize that there are some people reading this that have never turned a wrench, and they get a wild hair to work on their car. Nothing wrong with that (believe me), but I WILL use this forum as a pulpit and try to sway some of those people to PLEASE BE SAFE.

I will climb down from my soapbox now.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:46 AM
ElonCooper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a suggestion, always make sure you can loosen the fill plug first, before draining the trans. You don't want to drain, and then realize you can't get the fill plug out.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:39 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm also planning on switching over to Redline MTL as well. A "lifetime fluid" means it will last the life of the tranny...however long that may be. I've never heard of a manual tranny that doesn't need a fluid change. The oil degrades over time and picks up the metal flakes if you grind the gears. I've changed the fluid in my other car and it was the same 2 bolt setup. The only hard part is finding a funnel/tube long enough to get the oil from above the engine into the tranny.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:42 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
g00d choice!!

Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
I plan on using Redline MTF

?
best mod ever, g00d for 3hp and a couple lbs in torque

Old 12-09-2005, 09:47 AM
ElonCooper
3rd Gear
I always found it ironic that there was a drain plug on a tranny with "lifetime" fluid.

There are small pumps (siphon type), similar to those that are used on change the fluid on boat lower/out drives, that attach to the bottles, and you could pump the fluid from underneath to refill.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:47 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
damnit, i forgot i bought a bently manual, i should check there

Well, it seems there isnt a good DIY out there, when i get around to doing it here soon, i'll post up some pics and a DIY

Old 12-09-2005, 09:50 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear

See that yellow thingly in the backround? will that work?

Old 12-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
"See that yellow thingy in the background?"

I hate you.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:49 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rev. Limiter
"See that yellow thingy in the background?"

I hate you.

trust me, your not the only one!

Old 12-09-2005, 09:08 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
I changed my trans fluid on my 03MCS with about 29k miles just to be safe as i track the car. Bought both redline MTL and MT-90 & decided to use MT-90 since it's never cold here in Hawaii.

Old 12-10-2005, 03:51 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bgrpph
... since it's never cold here in Hawaii.
Okay, that's it.

I hate you, too.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:35 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
OK, now i'm irritated. :impatient

Ive got the car on the lift. Ive been looking for an hour, and i cant figure out how the hell to fill the tranny back up after I drain it......

There is like NO space to move around in there.

How did anyone else refill the tranny? Did you end up using a pump or is there room to fit a long funnel in there somewhere?

Old 12-10-2005, 01:03 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
bump, Doesnt anyone know????

Old 12-10-2005, 01:05 PM
apexer
6th Gear
You can buy a siphon hand pump at most any auto parts store/Sears, etc. for under $10.00. Looks like a hand grease gun without the pump. Will both siphon and refill. Of course for the Mini you just need it for refill. You can use this to siphon out the master cyl. prior to bleeding brakes. Make sure you clean it out between usage.

OK, now i'm irritated. :impatient

Ive got the car on the lift. Ive been looking for an hour, and i cant figure out how the hell to fill the tranny back up after I drain it......

There is like NO space to move around in there.

How did anyone else refill the tranny? Did you end up using a pump or is there room to fit a long funnel in there somewhere?

Old 12-10-2005, 03:26 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
yay, it works, no metallic grinding noises or anything!!!

i went to home depot and found a battery powered pump ( i know i'm spoiled) for 12 dollars. cut the top off each can of oil and pumped it in. worked great!

shifts are smoother going into gear now. cant wait to see what its like a little ways down the road, hopefully it will last a long time.

also, is it just me, or did anyone else notice MINI drainplgs dont have magnets on them....seems odd, ine never seen a car that didnt have a magnet on the drainplug of the tranny...

Old 12-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
also, is it just me, or did anyone else notice MINI drainplgs dont have magnets on them....seems odd, ine never seen a car that didnt have a magnet on the drainplug of the tranny...

Best I can recall, the oil drain plug and the xmsn drain plug on my '99 Miata were magnetized. And yes, I went with the Redline MTL in the Miata as well. Haven't changed it in the MINI yet.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:09 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rev. Limiter
Best I can recall, the oil drain plug and the xmsn drain plug on my '99 Miata were magnetized. And yes, I went with the Redline MTL in the Miata as well. Haven't changed it in the MINI yet.
Ok, its not just me then

Id change it next time you change your oil, it really wasnt too bad. Just messy. took about 2 quarts, somehow i lost .2 quarts somewhere, lol

Old 12-11-2005, 02:05 AM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
Dang it, I wish I had a lift!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 12:31 AM
eric loe
2nd Gear
Rev limiter's tread give me a bit of horror/bloody image on my mind.I feel sorry for that guy.
Will this apply for doing oil change too. i mean you gotta crawl under the car to reach the drain plug right so using the floor jack is not safe too.
the DIY tread suggest you get the Rhino ramp from walmart. So with Rhino ramp it should be safe to get under the car right?.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:06 AM
kemopots
1st Gear
aris, basically you want structural stability, with each unit rated to hold at least 1/3 of the car's weight, without wheels or casters, and not employing hydraulics. Simple devices such as jack stands are the best. I have never used rhino ramps personally, but if they are rated to hold the weight and you follow the directions, they should be fine. i would recommend investing in jack stands however, as rhino ramps become much less useful when what you are trying to accomplish requires removing a tire, such as replacing brakes. Oh, and chock the wheels not being raised (if any) in front of front tires and behind the back tires.

Last edited by kemopots; 07-26-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Koreanadian
1st Gear
I bought a set of Rhino Ramps today and they were little over 40 dollars for the set with tax. The instructions says that each ramp will support 2000 pounds. I used it to check the PS Fan, and it seems very stable. Highly recommended