Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

BtB Newbie Wonders How to Confirm SC and/or BPV Operating?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 04:12 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BtB Newbie Wonders How to Confirm SC and/or BPV Operating?

Recently Chicago has been privy to a significant drop in temps! (hmmm, Winter's really comin' after all, I guess). We saw the 60's in November, and single-digits/teens in December... read on...

I myself have witnessed my "fuel economy" (oxymoron?) take a serious nosedive... Serious Nosedive, acc. to Webster's is a reduction of maybe 5 mpg, and I wasn't doing all that great to start with, either.... OK, now my question, for those who haven't lost interest yet...

I'd like to know if there's a DIY way to verify operation (well, PROPER operation) of my '05 MCS's supercharger and/or bypass valve??

Seems like the engine would perform "better" when it's bone chilling cold outside, no? Maybe by the time boost is being created, the once-cold incoming air is heated enough so as not to matter?

I understand how this might NOT translate to improved "fuel economy" (there's that oxymoron again!). I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining about the lower MPG - I'm only reporting it since it's what I observed...

The 1 yr. old car seems as zippy as the day it was delivered, but couldn't this be a subjective thing?

Gratefully,
Tatt

Old 12-22-2005, 07:39 PM
YYC
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter gas. Cold starts. = decreased mpg!! Happens every year.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:14 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YYC
Winter gas. Cold starts. = decreased mpg!! Happens every year.
I shouldn't have blurred my original question by commenting on gas mileage! Do you know how verify that supercharger is running right? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I have no "driveability" issues, but how do i know my blower can blow?

Tatt

Old 12-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Tomslick
3rd Gear
Mash the gas,you should know right away.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:35 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tomslick
Mash the gas,you should know right away.
LOL, so... since I can spin/squawk the tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, I am to assume all is well? Sounds good, but can't we get a LITTLE more "technical" than that?

thanks for replyin.
Tatt

Old 12-23-2005, 08:40 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tattman23
I'd like to know if there's a DIY way to verify operation (well, PROPER operation) of my '05 MCS's supercharger and/or bypass valve??
Install a boost gauge, you should see 10 psi+ at full throttle at redline driving down the road. If so, your supercharger is working. If not, then you have issues.

A good test for the BPV is to take a look at the BPV with the engine off. It should be closed. With the engine idling, it should be open.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:49 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
Install a boost gauge, you should see 10 psi+ at full throttle at redline driving down the road. If so, your supercharger is working. If not, then you have issues.

A good test for the BPV is to take a look at the BPV with the engine off. It should be closed. With the engine idling, it should be open.
Ahhh that's the ticket, ty. Is there a version of the boost gauge I could borrow, temporarily connect, zoom to redline for my test, then disconnect and return it? Or, is a permanent install my only choice? (not that it wouldn't be tres cool, I have been around NAM a while and seen pics of some very nice gauge installations ).

Also, I think the "bypass valve" thread will prove useful, as far as how to observe the BPV in operation.

This is great, thanks.

Tatt

Old 12-23-2005, 09:28 AM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tattman23
Ahhh that's the ticket, ty. Is there a version of the boost gauge I could borrow, temporarily connect, zoom to redline for my test, then disconnect and return it? Or, is a permanent install my only choice? (not that it wouldn't be tres cool, I have been around NAM a while and seen pics of some very nice gauge installations ).

Also, I think the "bypass valve" thread will prove useful, as far as how to observe the BPV in operation.

This is great, thanks.

Tatt
I would install the gauge, would come in handy for future situations like this.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:36 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrkSilvrMini
I would install the gauge, would come in handy for future situations like this.
You have a point. However, I was visualizing something like the Trane HVAC man uses for pressure-testing or whatever... A gauge that chomps down on a line to take a measurement, then goes back in the toolbox when he's done... I guess I should hush up and ask Santa Claus for some gauges.

If I were king....
Tatt