Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Giac/mth/unichip

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 01:56 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Giac/mth/unichip

The above (3) Products.... are simply in alphabetical order.... to show no favoritism

I owned an 02 MCS... w/ a 15% Helix pulley/Madness Intake/last one on was a Borla Street Exhaust ( for those who know me ) and the Webb Motorsport Powerchip software.
It was a fun car... ran extremely well...
Sold it in 04.

(Had a MCoupe for 1&1/2 years....actually sold it last nite :(...but... now I'm back in the MINI ... fold )

I now own a 06 MCS w/ 500 miles on it...
It is currently equipted with:
A Helix 19% pulley/Helix Intake/ yup... a Borla Street Exhaust & by close of business tomorrow... JCW Injectors
(Got a Helix short shifter/ HSport springs & rear sway bar/Kosei K1TS rims/ Goodyear F1GSD3 tires/Whalen shifter....and other stuff... just to embelish a bit )

Here's why I invited you all here...
SOFTWARE/HARDWARE SOLUTION?????????????????
That's the last piece o da puzzle.. (kinda,sorta...maybe...lol)

I've spent about (2) weeks....
-reading....reading....reading...then reading some more... then re-reading... again & again... (get the picture) re: above software choices.
-pm'ing friends/strangers (people are still extremly nice here... just an observation).... to pick thier brains
-numerous tel calls to Eric (Helix)
-numerous tel calls to Randy (WebbMotorsports)
-numerous tel calls to Barry (local NY rep for MTH)
-numerous tel calls to Eric from (RPM Racing)
-many emails to the three tuner/software companies...GIAC/MTH/UNICHIP

***All three companies... (GIAC/MTH/UNICHIP) may I add... have not had the courtesy to reply... to date*** (that would be another rant....)

I drive in a spirited manner...
Track the car once or twice per year...
Autocross.... about the same.

I'm a MINI MA so I don't get out in the real world much anymore...rofl...except f/ test drives ..which can be a dangerous... experience.
I'm teathered to the dealership...
It's ... a life choice... or lack ...thereof

I'm totally stumped as to which of the above solutions make sence...
to go forward with.

The floor is open... please come forth... and ... express your opinions...

I am listening

Peace,
D

Old 01-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Profpatpending
3rd Gear
well here's my tuppence worth,
I have MTH and the reason I chose it is because it is easily installed,
easily put back to stock if you so wish,
if your dealer flashes your car you simply request a new file from MTH and your'e back cooking again,
it totally transforms the car as do all the above but if you add something extra or change something you simply request a new file,
no need to remove your ecu and send it off,
and its probably the cheapest and best value for money you can get,

Old 01-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Long time MTH user.....

For what you've got on your car, it will be fine. Having the abilitiy to upload/download at will is nice too.

If I were to do it all over again? I honestly don't know. Dinan stuff seems nice, but then it ain't cheap!

Andy seriously dislikes the UniChip, and to really make it scream, you should have it custom tuned, and you need to go to a UniChip tuner to do that... More $$$$

I've been curious about the Apex'i S-AFC. There was one in Marketplace for $200, but you need to tune it for your car as well.

I think you'll find that there are many who are very happy with the choice that they made, and see no need to get another solution to do a comparison.

Kind of sucks, but there you have it.

Matt

Old 01-11-2006, 06:27 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Another vote for MTH Tuner file!

Simply the best mod I've done to my MINI with the pulley and Alta CAI.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:56 PM
90STX
5th Gear
I've used MTH and GIAC. Started with MTH, primarily as he could tweak the e-throttle to keep the rpm from holding so much when the clutch is put in. The change in that aspect was very obvious, and worked great. Power seemed slightly better, but no huge difference. The ASC mod was also subtle but nice. I had no fault codes, and the engine started and ran fine.

I used MTH with a stock diameter pulley as well as 19%, with and without JCW inectors. All statements above apply to both.

After a couple successful calibration loads and swaps, I had trouble one night and the ECM locked up completely. Same laptop, same cable, samer operator (me).

I sent the ECM to Eric at Helix and he was able to get the GIAC (for 19% and injectors) to load alright. Once again, a huge Thank you! to Helix for taking on this challenge, getting it turned around very quickly, and saving me a (probably very expensive) visit to the dealership.

I've been very satisfied with the GIAC calibration too. The engine is back to its old (OEM) trick of hanging onto revs during shifts, but it runs flawlessly and also has not thrown any codes. The GIAC seems to keep pulling in the last 1000rpm better than before, but differences are not earthshattering.

Scott
90SM

Old 01-12-2006, 03:09 AM
jlm
6th Gear
greetings, d-mini-ero!

there is the huge advantage of going to Helix for the Giac/injector dyno tune package,

Old 01-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
You and I are at the exact same place which ECU Upgrade is the correct one for us. There are so many variables besides the "end result ":

Cost
Installation
dealership reflash
warranty concerns
I'm sure there's more ... drawn a blank.

You need to prioritize these potential issues/concerns - once you do that, the right one will appear.

As an example - originally I was going to do GIAC because at the time I had basic mods - pulley/cai/exhaust which GIAC addresses and ease of installation was a high priority (i.e. I pay, they install/ I drive off). So off I went - to keep it short the distributor could NOT install the upgrade after I drove over an hour to get there. This made me rethink the situation and while I was rethinking, I added more mods which GIAC doesn't address but MTH does. So if I want to address the additional mods, I had to change the importance of installation.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I always wondered about using base MTH

for the DSC and redline changes, and then another tune option on top.

Any takers?

Matt

Old 01-12-2006, 09:38 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
D,

MTH is the easest, cheapest and best bang for the buck compared to any other flashs out there. No other company offers 12 months of free upgrades when you install different mods thru the year.

And im also local for any problems like dealer reflashs or your own.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
for the DSC and redline changes, and then another tune option on top.

Any takers?

Matt
This is a really interesting question, I was wondering that myself. Where is Andy, he seems to understand both ECU upgrade options or anyone else for that matter.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:33 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
If im reading this right.....Are you sayin the Tuner map doesnt adjust the DSC or redline b.c mine is adjusted from what they told me. I barely hit redline when im racing because it feels stronger if i shift earlier than 7k

Old 01-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Not at all...

Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
If im reading this right.....Are you sayin the Tuner map doesnt adjust the DSC or redline b.c mine is adjusted from what they told me. I barely hit redline when im racing because it feels stronger if i shift earlier than 7k
I was just wondering if someone who wanted to use another tuning option has ever tried to use MTH for some of the non-power issues, like DSC, rev fall during shift and red-line modification BY CHOICE, and then used a different product for the power.....

No statement here that you couldn't bundle whatever you want out of the never listed options that MTH can do. But like the UniChip can't change the red-line settings.... It would just be a way to use UniChip, and get higher revs....

Matt

ps, this is definantly one of my frustrations with MTH, I can't find a list anywhere of what you can and cannot get modified. At one time Franz said that they could get the ECU to support a wideband, and then Volker says no. There have been posts about alternator, fan AC etc etc etc.
I would really love it if the upload page had checkboxes for what mods you have, checkboxes for what you want changed, maybe drop down lists of options etc, and a place to upload A/F plots from dyno runs. I think it would make MTH's life easier, and it would sure clear up some ambiguity for us customers....

Old 01-12-2006, 01:32 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
I emailed Patrick over at MTH-USA with the link to this thread....Hopefully he can answer these questions and maybe make a list like you asked.....I think that idea is perfect DR.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:54 PM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
I vote MTH.

I like MTH, I have been using it for a very long time.
I have the standard file since I got it when it was 75 dollars, but I will be upgrading to the tuner file soon.

I have never had a problem with the file, upload and download take like 5 minutes...

Old 01-13-2006, 09:07 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
I was just wondering if someone who wanted to use another tuning option has ever tried to use MTH for some of the non-power issues, like DSC, rev fall during shift and red-line modification BY CHOICE, and then used a different product for the power.....

No statement here that you couldn't bundle whatever you want out of the never listed options that MTH can do. But like the UniChip can't change the red-line settings.... It would just be a way to use UniChip, and get higher revs....

Matt
Adding a piggyback on top of a flash should definitley be feasible since the piggyback merely alters the MAP sensor signal. I would definitely not want to put a pre-programmed piggyback (like the Unichip that Randy sells) on top of a chipped ECU like MTH or GIAC. You could end up with a situation where the base map was leaner than stock, then the piggyback tried to make it leaner still.

I agree that a custom dyno tune would be the best situation, but with a flash, not a piggyback.

As for d-mini-ero's dilemma, I can't really offer any additional guidance other than to go see Eric to give the GIAC a try. Just watch out for the "for a few dollars more" special offers:

Old 01-14-2006, 04:48 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Decision

Morales sent me a set of serial cables to download my ECU info.
Dkstone sent me the necc software.... &.... friendly support
I dragged one of my 11 desktop puters into the garage (as my laptop doesn't have a serial port)... and did the deed.

Sent the file(s) of to MTH...
Patiently awtg the "Tuner" file.

My only concern is a 10 day wait for the MTH file to return.
Got an email from GIAC... they don't seem to have a 06 file available yet. They are working on it...no time frame given.
The Unichp seems too pricey and does n't have the ability to change variables (ie...rev limiter) ..that is personally important to me

My decison basically came down to ...ease of use.

I can flash my own car..whenever I choose.
I have several GOOD freinds local who use the software..for support.

I'm assuming (time will tell if this was a good choice)... the differences in all the above software remaps... are minor.

Peace,
D

Old 01-14-2006, 05:30 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Dennis,

Not for nothing but you asked me to order you injectors, you then called back an canceled.

You asked me to install them...Then you called me back to cancel that

You asked me to do the MTH flash...and now im seeing you dont need me for that either.

Im not trying to be a d*ck....But i have better things to do than make appointmens and order parts for people just tryin to get info out of me to have you cancel it all. :impatient

Old 01-14-2006, 05:58 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
Adding a piggyback on top of a flash should definitley be feasible since the piggyback merely alters the MAP sensor signal. I would definitely not want to put a pre-programmed piggyback (like the Unichip that Randy sells) on top of a chipped ECU like MTH or GIAC. You could end up with a situation where the base map was leaner than stock, then the piggyback tried to make it leaner still.

I agree that a custom dyno tune would be the best situation, but with a flash, not a piggyback.

As for d-mini-ero's dilemma, I can't really offer any additional guidance other than to go see Eric to give the GIAC a try. Just watch out for the "for a few dollars more" special offers:

I agree.... the very best....and much desired method would be custom tuned flash like GIAC or MTH but so far I believe that is still not an option. I believe that as I added mods I started to see disfunctional integration, ie subtraction by addition. This is a condition that can not be solved by sending your "laundry list" of mods and getting back a "boiler plate" file. With my list of mods I think you need a custom tune to get the performance you are paying for. I have said this many times........ try GIAC or MTH and see what you think..... I am partial toward GIAC because I think Eric "knows his stuff"...... admittedly, I don't know the other guys.

I have been in some MTH cars that performed very well.... GIAC certainly has the pedigree

Old 01-14-2006, 07:51 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
1FSTMINI,

I'm sorry if I offended you.

I asked you and many other people as listed in the above to look into this software/hardware choice.

I purchased the injectors at a lower price.
I got the injectors installed for a lower price.
I ordered the software at the same price... & will have possession of the file(s).

I am a consumer.... and.... a sales professional.
I am a MINI MA ( as you know) & people come to visit me every day to get info from me... & then they decide whether or not to use my services.

I shop (like all customers do) to get the best price and most convenient delivery.

Again... I'm truly sorry if this offended you.

Peace,
D

Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
Dennis,

Not for nothing but you asked me to order you injectors, you then called back an canceled.

You asked me to install them...Then you called me back to cancel that

You asked me to do the MTH flash...and now im seeing you dont need me for that either.

Im not trying to be a d*ck....But i have better things to do than make appointmens and order parts for people just tryin to get info out of me to have you cancel it all. :impatient

Old 01-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
I ordered the MTH Tuner File & cable yesterday. I plan on doing several things with the service. When I get the file I'll get a stock file and tuned file dyno run done. At the end of Feb I'm having CAI & 17% pulley installed. I'll dyno that with stock file, tuned stock file & tuned for mods file. I'll report with a % changes table early March.

I'm going with MTH for ease of install.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:39 AM
JCampos
6th Gear
Im not positive what my unichip made over stock (the program it came with), but once I got it tuned I made an additional 8-12 WHP. The exact number Im not sure of because between the two comparisions (program that cam preloaded vs custom tuned) I also had an AGS and throttle body installed. In the end I pulled about 12 WHP more than I did with the Alta, stock TB, and pre-programmed unichip.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:21 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Loaded

Rec'd the Tuner file today.

My friend (DKStone) just stopped by the dealership (his laptop in tow )... and helped me load the file.

No install issues @ all...
Simple & straight forward.

Gonna go drive ...now !!!

Peace,
D

Old 01-19-2006, 05:42 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm completely removing the factory ECM and replacing it with an Autronics system
If you all really want ECU tunning then a system like this is the way to go. It's just an 'S' load of money though, as they don't make a P&P for the Mini.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:18 PM
kalbone
5th Gear
I say go with neither and get an AFC select. i had the GIAC software with a 17% pulley, JCW injectors, K&N CAI, Custom 3" exhaust had it dynoed at 168@ the wheels. Then a buddy of mine pulled the software out, played around with the stock software and tuned it with the AFC, then got my car redynoed and now i'm pushing 185@ the wheels. just my .02, good luck on your choice

Old 01-20-2006, 03:16 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
1st impressions

Drove it. ...

I'll drive it more this comming weekend ... as sunday they'll actually let me outa the MINI showroom

1st impressions....
-smoother thru the gears.... no flat spots that I noticed.
-butt-dyno...I felt power increases accross all gears.

JMHO...it's kinda the glue that brings all the mods together and allows them to play nice and get along w/ each other.

Seems to be money well spent...

Thanks for listening...

Peace,
D