Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Foul odor under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 08:41 AM
jblow
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Foul odor under acceleration

Seems to be present when A/C is off and accelerating at a brisk rate, coming through vents. Smell is strong to the point of causing a headache, I'm not able to identify what it smells like (not rotting or mildew, more like burning coolant or something) but it's quite strong requiring rolling down the windows.
I first noticed when I picked up the car from it's Inspection I service several months ago...the SA actually noticed while the car was idling in service area and took it back and put up on the lift but couldn't identify the source. Any thoughts??

Old 03-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rotten egg smell is a sign of a bad cat..

but other than that, no clue.

Matt

Old 03-03-2006, 08:59 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could it be a newer car? I know when I drive my car hard it makes a smell. The smell used to be alot more noticable when the car was new.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:07 AM
jblow
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Could it be a newer car? I know when I drive my car hard it makes a smell. The smell used to be alot more noticable when the car was new.
No, it's an '04 I bought new, now 34k miles on the clock.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
If it's something that smells like it's from hot things...

you should look around the exhaust header and piples, look to insulation that crept out from behind the heat shields, and buring round belts, and from things like the alernator or A/C compressor.

Other places to look are where rotational friction can occure. Rear wheel bearings, half-shafts and the like.

If you still can't find it, get one of those little green pine trees to hang from your rear-view.

Good luck hunting it down.

One more thought. Get some rubber hose, and smell from specific locations. It may help localize the source...

Matt

Old 03-03-2006, 09:37 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Guess you could say that your car goes like stink

Really though, it can't be good for your if it causes a headache. Have they checked sufficiently for a coolant leak?

Old 03-03-2006, 09:51 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a similar problem when accelerating hard--an odor that enters the cabin, but quickly dissipates. I notice the odor from other cars also and believe it's some byproduct of burning the oxygenated fuels we have here in New Mexico. I checked my exhaust and there's no leaks, but I wish it would go away...
phil

Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Both of my cars do it. Only when i'm really gettin' on it. I have no idea what it is. I've been messin' with cars pretty much my whole life and have smelled a ton of different smells, this one is odd.

I smell the smelly smell of something that smells smelly.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:28 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
i think it's your cats

Old 03-03-2006, 10:30 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
i think it's your cats
Yeah, cats can be kinda smelly - gotta change the litter more often

Old 03-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
How can that be?

Originally Posted by kenchan
i think it's your cats
They're asleep on the sofa....

Matt

Old 03-05-2006, 06:09 PM
drg1138
1st Gear
I had this problem.

Then one day it disappeared along with my transmission.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:19 AM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN109
Both of my cars do it. Only when i'm really gettin' on it. I have no idea what it is. I've been messin' with cars pretty much my whole life and have smelled a ton of different smells, this one is odd.

I smell the smelly smell of something that smells smelly.
I have this too. When I changed over to the Magnaflow it went away for a while but it came back. Dealer says all Mini's do it

Old 03-06-2006, 03:51 AM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Stay away from Mexican food?
Dealer says all Mini's do it
Do they brainwash them at MINI school? I have heard that statement way too many times. My MINI doesn't do that, and if all MINIs did, don't you think we would have heard more about it?

Old 03-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
My mini doesn't do it.

They're just BSing you....

Matt

Old 03-06-2006, 09:06 AM
stustan
1st Gear
MY stock 2003 S has the odor under hard acceleration since the day I broke it in, as does other stock Cooper S's I have driven, I consider it normal. Where It comes from is anyones guess

Old 03-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I get it!

It's an undocumented design feature, not a bug!

Matt

Old 03-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Like burning coolant...well you might have an evporator leak, which would be accompanied by wet carpet though. Another could be that exhaust fumes are leaking into the vents somehow...but I don't think that'd be it.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Bster
3rd Gear
I might know what smell you're talking about. I usually get it when i'm accelarating hard. I think it's the clutch burning off! hahahaa! I had to replace my clutch lining after 20,000kms and the smell was very prominate after the new lining was in. But this doesn't happen when driving normally, only when driving hard. Now that it's worn in, the smell is minimal, but can be noticed sometimes.

Sometimes, the smell was so strong that I've had to open the sunroof and windows.

Would my description fit your scenario?

Old 03-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bster
I might know what smell you're talking about. I usually get it when i'm accelarating hard. I think it's the clutch burning off! hahahaa! I had to replace my clutch lining after 20,000kms and the smell was very prominate after the new lining was in. But this doesn't happen when driving normally, only when driving hard. Now that it's worn in, the smell is minimal, but can be noticed sometimes.

Sometimes, the smell was so strong that I've had to open the sunroof and windows.

Would my description fit your scenario?
The problem with that is he shouldn't smell it from his vents. I'd think any smell like that would just come from all around the car, but not from the vents specifically. Some clarification could be used here and it can very well be same as the problem you had as I never heard of burning coolant being a very naseous smell.

And clutch lining shouldn't burn off even when accelerating hard, seems like the spring isn't strong enough to keep it from slipping under full acceleration.

Unless your car is modded and the clutch just can't take the HP you're trying to put down

Old 03-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Bster
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Barnabas
The problem with that is he shouldn't smell it from his vents. I'd think any smell like that would just come from all around the car, but not from the vents specifically. Some clarification could be used here and it can very well be same as the problem you had as I never heard of burning coolant being a very naseous smell.

And clutch lining shouldn't burn off even when accelerating hard, seems like the spring isn't strong enough to keep it from slipping under full acceleration.

Unless your car is modded and the clutch just can't take the HP you're trying to put down
Dunno, but after only a year of a mixed conservative and spirited driving, the car had squeeks from the engine bay everytime there was a load or strain to the clutch. Ie: Uphill stationary moving off and cold start drives. Brought it back to the dealer and they changed my clutch lining stating it had worn off. Seems odd that they wore off so fast considering that i wasn't driving aggressively ALL the time... Honest!

Nothing much to my mods, well, nothing much to the engine. Just the basic few better sounding items. So i didn't see why it would wear off so soon.

In any case, I'll see how this new lining goes. If it wears off prematurely again, it's might probably be due to my driving (which i highly doubt as i drive mostly in the city). It'd be a good chance go change to a more uprated one. And a lightened flywheel since the tranny's off!

Old 03-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bster
Dunno, but after only a year of a mixed conservative and spirited driving, the car had squeeks from the engine bay everytime there was a load or strain to the clutch. Ie: Uphill stationary moving off and cold start drives. Brought it back to the dealer and they changed my clutch lining stating it had worn off. Seems odd that they wore off so fast considering that i wasn't driving aggressively ALL the time... Honest!

Nothing much to my mods, well, nothing much to the engine. Just the basic few better sounding items. So i didn't see why it would wear off so soon.

In any case, I'll see how this new lining goes. If it wears off prematurely again, it's might probably be due to my driving (which i highly doubt as i drive mostly in the city). It'd be a good chance go change to a more uprated one. And a lightened flywheel since the tranny's off!
That is so abnormal. It shouldn't slip when you have the clutch fully out no matter how hard you get on the gas. Glad you got the clutch replaced under warranty though. that's a tough sell most of the time. City driving meaning constant use of the clutch CAN cause premature wear but not at the rate you're talking about.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:25 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Try the recirculate before driving the car briskly. If it's still there it's probably not a melted plastic bag, sulfur from the cats, or the clutch. Might be heater core leaking only when the waterpump is spinning fast.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:42 PM
bohunk
2nd Gear
My 2006 MCS has the smell, only when I am passing. I'm doing around 70 mph, and hitting it hard. Then when I have already passed, I always get that burnt smell. Smells like burning oil maybe? Its not coolant, for sure.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:03 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
I'd check your passenger's pants. I think my "brisk" driving has caused my passengers to have a "accident" or two

Quick Reply: Foul odor under acceleration