Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Broken Glove Box Latch

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Glove Box Latch

Hey Everyone,

The latch in my glove box broke yesterday, and I had the reverse problem that many others have had. Instead of my GB failing to stay closed, it wouldn't open. (Lots of threads on failing glove boxes, but mostly popping open). The door doesn't appear to have been jammed or stuck on anything in the box.

I finally managed to fish a wire up into the latch and pop it free, only to find that the "hook" had broken at the piviot point. I use the glove box about once a week (gas fillup log) and it doesn't see any hard use. Anyone else had a similar issue on an '06 yet?

I'll see if I can get some pictures this evening, but there isn't much to see.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:24 AM
lexlow
Banned
Originally Posted by Dolmangar
Hey Everyone,

The latch in my glove box broke yesterday, and I had the reverse problem that many others have had. Instead of my GB failing to stay closed, it wouldn't open. (Lots of threads on failing glove boxes, but mostly popping open). The door doesn't appear to have been jammed or stuck on anything in the box.

I finally managed to fish a wire up into the latch and pop it free, only to find that the "hook" had broken at the piviot point. I use the glove box about once a week (gas fillup log) and it doesn't see any hard use. Anyone else had a similar issue on an '06 yet?

I'll see if I can get some pictures this evening, but there isn't much to see.
Just happened tp me last night. It wont open. I never use it. What did you do?

Old 03-17-2006, 07:54 AM
pengrayghost
1st Gear
been there

My 06 G.B. latch failed also but it would still open if a bump ( in the road or a hand slap) occured. The dealer replaced the entire G.B. door under warrenty and no further problems yet.

Old 03-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
I managed to hook a piece of electical wire up into the latch and release the hook. Took a few tries to find a position where I could see into the latch and snake it up there. Ended up putting the seat back, and laying upside down with my feet over the headrest.

It's more about pushing the hook with the wire, since the latch is pretty simple. The dash has a horizontal bar, and the door is a hook. Mine broke right around the hub, and I had to push the hook out of the way. Keep in mind that the door is going to drop down onto your face when you get it loose (don't ask), so be careful.

The dealer had to order a new door, since the latch is keyed. Just had it fixed this morning, took about an hour.

Old 03-17-2006, 08:30 AM
lexlow
Banned
Originally Posted by Dolmangar
Keep in mind that the door is going to drop down onto your face when you get it loose (don't ask), so be careful.

The dealer had to order a new door, since the latch is keyed. Just had it fixed this morning, took about an hour.

Ill be careful then

Old 05-30-2009, 08:57 PM
WJHMH
3rd Gear
I just suffered the same thing, will give this a try.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
ebfranco
Neutral
Glove Box Latch

Tried the wire trick, didn't work. Any other suggestions short of ripping the front of the glove box off?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:52 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know this is an old post but have you had any luck with the glove box door? My latch just failed and if I could get it removed, I could fix it. Did you buy a new glovebox or get a new latch mechanism?

Old 06-26-2010, 02:55 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by DMBFan2
My latch just failed and if I could get it removed, I could fix it.
I'm not sure that the latch mechanism can be removed separately, but the entire glovebox is easy to remove if that will help. Pull off and disconnect the glovebox light, then remove the 5 screws indicated by (1). Disconnect the glovebox a/c hose while you're pulling it out.

Easy to take out, but harder to put it back in . The two side screws are awkward to get started. It helped me to tape the screw to my Torx driver so it wouldn't fall down while I was trying to get the screw in the hole.

My latch failed but luckily while still under warranty. A black plastic latch piece came loose and I thought I could fix it by snapping it back on, but I couldn't get it working.

Also take a look at this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...box-latch.html

Attached Thumbnails Broken Glove Box Latch-glovebox.png  
Old 04-15-2011, 07:32 PM
swooldri
Neutral
quick mini broken glove box latch fix

my 2003 mini had the glove box latch failing to catch. i fixed it with a 1" piece of rubber hose intended for the windshield washer fluid. it now closes and stays closed. ordered a $300 new glovebox and cancelled the order. quick fix for less than $1.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:07 PM
LaCoppola08
1st Gear
I have a 03 mini and the plastic latch just broke, how did you fix it with the rubber hose??

Old 06-17-2011, 01:50 PM
lhowlett
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by swooldri
my 2003 mini had the glove box latch failing to catch. i fixed it with a 1" piece of rubber hose intended for the windshield washer fluid. it now closes and stays closed. ordered a $300 new glovebox and cancelled the order. quick fix for less than $1.
Great idea! I'm going to try this on my 2003 Mini. My glove box latch has been failing to catch for over a year now. It's really annoying. I can't see where anything is broken. It looks fine. I even took a couple of things out of the glove box just in case the weight (nothing was really heavy) when I braked was causing the door to open.

Thanks! I always know to come here when I have a problem with my Mini.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 PM
swooldri
Neutral
broken glove box latch

it latches tighter now than it did ever before. i think there is a spring in there that fell inside the glove box door but i wasn't about to pay $300 for a new glove box. ridiculous. just guy the thicker window washer tubing.