Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Water Wetter

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:40 AM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Wetter

Anybody ever used it? Made by redline and it claims to decrease coolant temps by up to 30 degrees.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Mineon
4th Gear
Ive used it on several other cars, but not the Mini yet. My results weren't quite as dramatic as 30°, more like 5-10°. I believe for maximum temp reduction you have to use it with straight water, which I never do, I leave at least 25% antifreeze in. I'll probably be using it in my MC for the first time this summer.

-Keith

Old 03-09-2006, 07:12 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use it. It gives a little more security when I'm stuck in traffic and it's 100 degrees outside.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:22 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
I don't know if it is necessary for everyday MINI driving but it is an absolute blessing in classic Minis and motorcycles!

Old 03-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Mayim
4th Gear
I used it on my old '90 Miata. I had some fan problems and it would overheat in traffic. Water Wetter helped a little bit, but as said before, more like 10 degrees or so.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:56 AM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
The way I understand the M7 thermostat is that it runs your coolant more often so that it reduces heat. If it was coupled with water wetter, would it help the thermostat work more efficiently? I could be totally wrong about what the M7 thermostat does though.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:02 AM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a HUGE water wetter fan.

Started to use it in bikes.
My temp was reduced just over 10 deg like others here.
The one thing that it does do is reduce cavitation.
So more peice of mind as well

Old 03-09-2006, 08:15 AM
PoonRacing
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bpago
I am a HUGE water wetter fan.

Started to use it in bikes.
My temp was reduced just over 10 deg like others here.
The one thing that it does do is reduce cavitation.
So more peice of mind as well
Same here.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:32 AM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
So, wait a sec... Would it be appropriate for use in a winter climate? Of would it make the water more susceptible to freezing and i would end up with a cracked block?

Old 03-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use it in all my performance vehicles...

To get the best benefit, use two bottles, 10% or so Antifreeze, and distilled water to fill. This will give lower temps, but will also effect the freeze point. I don't really have to worry about that where I live, though.

Now I've got one bottle in the Mini, but I"m thinking of changing out my coolant, and getting a bit more aggressive on heat capacity.

Matt

Old 03-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Merkursport
4th Gear
It made my highly modified Lotus Europa drivable in mid-summer (May - late November in Florida), so I'm a huge fan. I've also used in a Range Rover with a marginal cooling system - it's great. They now carry it in the larger auto parts stores so try a bottle in you current mix (drain some out first), and I bet that you notice overall improvment. Be careful about weak anti-freeze mix in the cold climate areas. Frozen systems don't work!

Old 03-09-2006, 10:21 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Can I just pour this into the tank, or does it need to be mixed properly with antifreeze and water first?

mb

Old 03-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
If you're real lazy...

Originally Posted by mbcoops
Can I just pour this into the tank, or does it need to be mixed properly with antifreeze and water first?

mb
You can take the coolant out of the overflow tank when the car is hot and let it get sucked into the cooling system when it cools. A few hot-cold cycles is all it takes. If you do this, make sure that the resivoir is up to the hot line when you're done. And no, you don't have to pre-mix.

Matt

Old 03-09-2006, 11:12 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
I guess it's not a question of laziness as much as ignorance to flushing the system and being more comfortable with just adding something to it.

So from your post I gather it is OK to do so.

mb

Old 03-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Our coolant is suposed to be permanant...

Originally Posted by mbcoops
I guess it's not a question of laziness as much as ignorance to flushing the system and being more comfortable with just adding something to it.

So from your post I gather it is OK to do so.

mb
Who knows if this is true! I just added when my car was new. But I'm thinking of doing a full change over....

Matt

Old 03-09-2006, 06:48 PM
apexer
6th Gear
I have used it in all my cars for over 10 years The dealer I buy from told me the local stock car boys refer to it as "That magic Pink Sh*t"

Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 PM
DunWaiten
2nd Gear
If the active ingredients in Water Wetter are beneficial in a typical water/antifreeze mixture, I would think antifreeze manufacturers would be tempted to include them, and tout that on their packaging, maybe in a premium version of antifreeze. But, I can't remember ever seeing that. Anyone else?

Old 03-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
My guess is water wetter effects the operating temperature range of the coolant. Probably has a higher freezing temp than coolant if manufacturers aren't using it. Since water wetter is designed for racing applications they don't have to worry about freezing temps!

And there really isn't a way to make your thermostat work more "efficiently". It opens and closes according to coolant temp lol. It's a good idea to use a lower thermostat like the M7 one if you have alot of mods.

The BEST thermostat would be one that opened regardless of operating temp depending on engine load like in BMWs. They're electrically heated if it senses WOT and other conditions even if coolant isn't up to temp.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:22 AM
kapps
6th Gear
The purpose of Water Wetter is not to change the temperature range of the coolant. It changes the thermal conductivity of water. Water has a very high thermal conductivity to begin with. The problem occurs when you mix water with antifreeze which has nearly zero thermal conductivity. A 50/50 mix takes the thermal conductivity down by half (but raises and boiling point and lowers the freezing point). What Water Wetter does is to double the thermal conductivity of the mix back up to what it was with pure water. It's a win-win situation. In racing engines where they only run pure water, it still works.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kapps
The purpose of Water Wetter is not to change the temperature range of the coolant. It changes the thermal conductivity of water. Water has a very high thermal conductivity to begin with. The problem occurs when you mix water with antifreeze which has nearly zero thermal conductivity. A 50/50 mix takes the thermal conductivity down by half (but raises and boiling point and lowers the freezing point). What Water Wetter does is to double the thermal conductivity of the mix back up to what it was with pure water. It's a win-win situation. In racing engines where they only run pure water, it still works.
I knew that water wetter increased the thermal conductivity, but thought the temp range was a side effect. I guess it's a cost issue then like everything else in the world

Old 03-10-2006, 07:07 PM
saifa
4th Gear
I've got Royal Purple's equivalent "Purple Ice" going in my system in a few weeks. I plan to use it with the M7 thermostat since it opens a few degrees earlier than stock. For the summer maybe a 70/30 water coolant mix and then I'll change it out when the great Canadian winter hits!

Old 03-10-2006, 07:31 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Water Wetter is one of the best things ive seen on the market for performace vehicle applications.

We noticed dramatic temp drops on motors we have ran on our start stand with water wetter. I mean at least 20 degrees. And this is sitting still with only a clutch fan on the motor.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:06 PM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Kapps, has it right... just ask anyone that races shifter karts. A highly tuned IC or moto will run too cool with the right mix & require tape on the radiator. The flow is better with water wetter, there may even be a slight HP gain ( don't know because we use straight water with an engine dyno ). There are too many good reasons to use water wetter to list.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How can you tell the temp is down?

I am a fan of Water Wetter as reducing the surface tension of the water will only increase conductivity and allow the coolant to drain heat from the engine more efficiently. I use it in my Mini and our Spec 7 SCCA racer.

But since the thermostat controls the temp of the coolant and will open and close at a predetermined temperature, your temp gauge should show no change under normal circumstances and remain in the center of the range. If the engine started to go into an overheat cycle for some reason the WW would delay that but you really wouldn't "see" anything.

How are you guys measuring temp differences?

Rich

Old 03-12-2006, 04:51 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
It's the cycle, water from the radiator to the engine that is more better. The engine will run much closer to spec, 160, 180, than it would without water wetter. 180 could mean 200, or more, in real life conditions.........

Quick Reply: Water Wetter