Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

UniChip and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:52 PM
MiniBlueVancouver
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UniChip and warranty

I have no idea what the answer to this is....does/can installation of a Unichip void our factory warrantys?

Anyone?

Bryan

Old 03-09-2006, 12:56 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniBlueVancouver
I have no idea what the answer to this is....does/can installation of a Unichip void our factory warrantys?

Anyone?

Bryan
See https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...477#post823477

Old 03-09-2006, 01:04 PM
MiniBlueVancouver
2nd Gear
So...?

Thanks Chows,

That was fast!!

After having read part of the thread you pointed me to, as I expected, Mini/BMW can/will basically refuse any/every warranty claim if you've done anything aftermarket to the car, right?

Fair enough, but what I really want to know is...

If I were to have a completely stock MCS, I installed a Unichip and experienced a problem, could I remove it without possiblity of it being detected?

Bryan

Old 03-09-2006, 01:07 PM
chows4us
6th Gear

Fair enough, but what I really want to know is...

If I were to have a completely stock MCS, I installed a Unichip and experienced a problem, could I remove it without possiblity of it being detected?
Yes, I believe so. Piggyback to your ECU so pull it off before going to the dealer

Old 03-09-2006, 01:10 PM
MiniBlueVancouver
2nd Gear
Thanks again!!

That's what I thought, thanks Chows

Bryan

Old 03-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only if they know about it!

Anyone?

Bryan

Matt

Old 03-09-2006, 02:58 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Well, I've posted another thread about the Unichip, but there's something in that story yet untold that is relevant here. Now Sandia MINI in Albuquerque is pretty fair about after-market stuff and Chad the SM is great. Anyway, I went in yesterday with the SES light on after the car went into limp mode and threw the light. I have a Unichip. They read the codes, said they were random and blamed the Unichip. They reset the light and sent me home. It threw another code, the SES light went on and limp mode again (geez that's a scary, unsafe, thing for a car to do, btw!) Anyway, I removed the Unichip and went back this morning. They read the codes again and now identified it as a intake vacuum problem. As I waited for them to do something I figured it out. Of course a line on my VGS had come loose, so sheepishly I fessed up and asked for my keys back. They said nothing and closed out the repair order. Can't say fairer than that!
So my attitude is now--if it's my mod, I'll own up to it and try to fix it myself. If it's not, then I have a dealer who will honor my warranty.

cheers,
phil

Old 03-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's a good lesson there!

If you mod, get a scanner. You should be able to see into what your car is thinking.

Matt

Old 03-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
A piggyback chip or unichip is undetectable. Only traces I think it leaves behind are LTFT data.

Let me play the devil's advocate here for a bit though...if you mod your vehicle and do not inform the dealership about it they will have a HARD time diagnosing if the cause was indeed the mods. This is especially horrid with driviability issues and remapped DMEs. Unless it's something obviously not caused by your mods, it'd be best to be honest and tell the dealership what mods you had if it seems related.

Just put yourself in the tech's shoes and ask yourself if you'd want to diagnose a vehicle w/ only part of the information. I'll be doing this in a few months and this is one of my perpetual worries lol