Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

1st Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 09:41 PM
dchez
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Oil Change

My '06 MCS hit 5000 miles on the way home from work yesterday, so I decided to do my first oil change today (I had already picked up some Mobil 1 5w30 and a new filter from the dealer in anticipation). I must say I am grateful for all of the helpful tips I picked up from reading many of the previous threads about changing oil here on NAM.

First off - cracking the filter housing loose and letting the oil drain before removing it worked great - no mess! I was especially glad to know in advance that the filter housing would be very difficult to thread on and off. I would have sworn I was stripping something otherwise. Also, I trial fitted the housing without the filter to get an idea of how much resistance would feel right upon installation (surprisingly more than I had expected). I then made sure the filter was well seated in the housing before attempting to install it. Last but not least, I made sure the flat portion of the threads was up top as I engaged the housing's threads into the engine block. Luckily, they caught on the first try. Also, my trusty Sears 36mm socket and wrench worked well to loosen and tighten the filter housing despite the limited space available. I didn't even have to jack the car up to do the job. The OBC shows 6000 miles till service, so that oil change will be on BMW's tab.

All in all though, not a difficult job. Plus the added bonus of bonding a little more with my MINI . Thanks again to all those here on NAM that have shared their experience before and I hope my post helps others in the future.

For those who want to read previous threads for some more background:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=58600
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ght=oil+change

Old 03-12-2006, 04:12 AM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dchez
My '06 MCS hit 5000 miles on the way home from work yesterday, so I decided to do my first oil change today (I had already picked up some Mobil 1 5w30 and a new filter from the dealer in anticipation). I must say I am grateful for all of the helpful tips I picked up from reading many of the previous threads about changing oil here on NAM.

First off - cracking the filter housing loose and letting the oil drain before removing it worked great - no mess! I was especially glad to know in advance that the filter housing would be very difficult to thread on and off. I would have sworn I was stripping something otherwise. Also, I trial fitted the housing without the filter to get an idea of how much resistance would feel right upon installation (surprisingly more than I had expected). I then made sure the filter was well seated in the housing before attempting to install it. Last but not least, I made sure the flat portion of the threads was up top as I engaged the housing's threads into the engine block. Luckily, they caught on the first try. Also, my trusty Sears 36mm socket and wrench worked well to loosen and tighten the filter housing despite the limited space available. I didn't even have to jack the car up to do the job. The OBC shows 6000 miles till service, so that oil change will be on BMW's tab.

All in all though, not a difficult job. Plus the added bonus of bonding a little more with my MINI . Thanks again to all those here on NAM that have shared their experience before and I hope my post helps others in the future.

For those who want to read previous threads for some more background:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=58600
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ght=oil+change
Hey good job! Screwing the filter housing cap back on can be hard first time around. Definitely hard to tell whether you're crossing threading or just hard to get on

Old 03-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Skeffers
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dchez
Thanks again to all those here on NAM that have shared their experience before and I hope my post helps others in the future.
I changed the oil and oil filter last week at 1520 miles. (I just wanted to do it.) I couldn't have done it so easily without the oil change postings. Thanks from me, too.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:54 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good for you.
Yes the info here is fantastic.
Just a question ...
Why did you use Mobil 1 over Castrol ?
Now you are going to be switching back and forth each time you do the change and mini does.