Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Engine stumbling on deceleration before idle on Base Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 02:59 PM
andrew
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learned that new software will be available to dealers from Mini yesterday in September to deal with this very small problem. Mini was super helpful with information. Like their honesty.

Advise that you take own initiaitve if you are experiencing this problem and book appointment after checking with deal after September 1st.

It is caused by fuel cut-off programming being too lean for emissions purposes. Noticed especially with A/C on and in the hottest, above 95 degrees weather. With A/C off, problem is almost undetectable. Also apparent when stopping quickly from 60-0..........

Thought I would pass the word. S owners should check if their cars suffer from this symptom also............. I have noticed one other person posting on this site of this problem that had Base model.......

Old 07-23-2002, 03:15 PM
blu02
1st Gear
It's good to hear that they have developed a fix for it. A dealer service dept. told me (last Monday) that it was a characteristic of the engine and that I should basically ignore it.!

Old 07-25-2002, 02:12 PM
andrew
3rd Gear
Oh well....great car..........too much to wish for great dealer !!! I will be calling MINI again in September to check on progress of this development with software fix and advise on this board. Thanks for reply.......

Old 07-30-2002, 08:44 AM
macduff
1st Gear
I am not getting the deceleration stumbbbbbling but rather hesitation on acceleration. MINIUSA have said that the new software in the Fall will cure this......this software must be something given the amount of things it looks like it is going to cure!!!

Old 08-03-2002, 08:29 AM
andrew
3rd Gear
>>I am not getting the deceleration stumbbbbbling but rather hesitation on acceleration. MINIUSA have said that the new software in the Fall will cure this......this software must be something given the amount of things it looks like it is going to cure!!!

It is funny isn't it !!! Good luck !!!
:smile:

Old 08-03-2002, 12:52 PM
wainair
3rd Gear
Someone had earlier posted that they had put the Magnacor plug wires on their MINI just to upgrade the wires, and as a side effect the stopped stumbling on acceleration. I'm sure the wires weren't a cure for the real problem(a programing issue) but they help limit the symtoms. You might wan't to concider that until a proper solution is provided. I think they were the 8.5MM wires.

Old 08-03-2002, 02:04 PM
jeremy99
1st Gear
I have the stumbling problem, exactly as described - during hotter weather (not not always), while decelerating, with A/C on especially (but not always). Took it to my dealer, they said they could not reproduce it (just idoits as most dealer service centers are if you ask me). My car actually stalled twice when decelerating in these circumstances, but the dealer said it couldn't possibly have stalled, because it was not recorded in the car's computer. Nice service eh? Universal City Mini (forgot the name of the BMW dealer that does service).

Good to hear there is actually a fix coming and I am not just being picky.

Old 08-04-2002, 11:43 AM
andrew
3rd Gear
>>I have the stumbling problem, exactly as described - during hotter weather (not not always), while decelerating, with A/C on especially (but not always). Took it to my dealer, they said they could not reproduce it (just idoits as most dealer service centers are if you ask me). My car actually stalled twice when decelerating in these circumstances, but the dealer said it couldn't possibly have stalled, because it was not recorded in the car's computer. Nice service eh? Universal City Mini (forgot the name of the BMW dealer that does service).
>>
>>Good to hear there is actually a fix coming and I am not just being picky.
>>
>>
I also thought I was nuts also, until MINI customer service helped me out. Fix due September.............. :smile:

Old 08-04-2002, 09:55 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
jeremy99,

you and me BOTH! Universal MINI (Century West BMW) SUCKS! They had my car 9 hours and "couldn't duplicate" ANY of the 3 problems I complained about, so they did absolutely NOTHING to the car! What a waste of a day! Yet, when I picked up the car, I "duplicted" two of the problems repeatedly. They asked if I wanted to leave the car for another day and I said, "You've got to be kidding! So you can do nothing to it again. I have a job and need a car to get to work. I actually do the work I say I will!" I don't ever want to go to them for service again and I'm contacting MINI about them. I've been having this stalling when A/C is on and I just thought it was the car's lack of horsepower. Glad to know it's fixable! Hopefully Long Beach MINI will be nice enough to service my Emma from now on.

Old 08-06-2002, 06:40 AM
nhatch
Neutral
This stumbling problem seems to be the sort of problem I had been experiencing. My car was stuttering at low revs and would cut out all together at some points. I took it to the dealer and they said that the throttle housing unit (controls the revs in the engine) was faulty and needed to be replaced. My Mini is only three weeks old but I've already done 1300 miles. Is now fixed and runnig fine.

Cooper with no A/C.
:smile: