Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Lights and Legal Balderdash

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 09:59 PM
kneedrachen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay by using a SAT word I got your attention. Few things I thought you all might like to know (like NJ drivers) about your MINI. First of all in regards to the posting about rear fog lights, the ARE legal permitting they are housed within the tail light housing OR remain on at all times and are flushed mount so as not to "Exude the presence of emergency auxillary lighting.", and if they are OEM equipment. Also, your fog lights work with JUST the parking lamps, not including the headlights, so you can drive around with your parking lights and fog lights, like the Honda riceboys do...Before I became a firefighter and was a police officer the vehicle code was drilled into our heads and my particular department enforced these laws religiously. Anyway to make a long story short I had been accosted by an officer of the law recently for driving with just my parking lamps and fog lights on just before dusk....Word to the wise, make sure those headlights are on! And, if you so desire (an dif there is a way) the OEM rear fog CAN be connected legally (in NJ at least).
Oh and last but not least, if you're wondering why your fog lights turn on when your high beams are on, you can not have more than 6 lights on at any given time on the front of the vehicle (in NJ) so your low beams, high beams and parking lamps make 6, on low beam setting it'd be your low beams, parking lamps and fog lights...also why MINI wires the OEM driving lamps to only come on with the high beams.....frickin' laws....
Damn "THE MAN"
Alex