Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Clicking noise.. Anyone????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Spikedacrzyman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking noise.. Anyone????

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. From a dead stop and take off on hard acceleration it sounds like the CV clicks or pops. Then shifting to second, you can bearly hear it. Anyone else hearing the same thing? Also you can hear it pop when stopping and starting to roll in reverse. If anyone has any idea, please help me out. If you drive like a granny, you don't hear anything... Weird.:impatient Spike

Old 03-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey there,

Does it sound like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle???
My 04 MCS had that sound only under moderate to hard acceleration. After ALOT of hit and miss by the dealer he replaced the "vibration damper" ( harmonic balancer ) - and it cured the problem.
I thought it was a CV joint also - so did the service advisor and the dealer mechanic. After replaceing EVERYTHING ( axles, joints, etc...) , The dealer even R&Red the transmission!!! Nothing worked - then the balancer was replaced -- problem solved

Good luck

Old 03-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Lilredscoot
2nd Gear
I too have heard that clicking and told my MA, but they couldn't figure out why. MINI Thanks for letting me know, I will get them to check the "vibration damper" (harmonic balancer) on my next service.

2003 CR/B MCS

Old 03-24-2006, 08:01 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
I saw some posts about this talking about 'shafts' and stuff
but I guess it's the harmonic balancer..

I have the ticking noise too and I get it while I accelerate from dead stop or 2 or 3rd gear..

I should get this checked soon..

Old 03-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Iggy-MCS
2nd Gear
if you have the webspokes, they can be the culprit of clicking too... but usually you can only hear it at low speeds and with the windows down. I think in your case, maybe not the case, but if someone else hits this link, it may be something for them to think about...

Old 03-26-2006, 06:52 AM
Spikedacrzyman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Iggy-MCS
if you have the webspokes, they can be the culprit of clicking too... but usually you can only hear it at low speeds and with the windows down. I think in your case, maybe not the case, but if someone else hits this link, it may be something for them to think about...
How could it be the webspokes? But if its the balancer, then i will have to let the MA know. Thanks for the help guys.... Spike

Old 03-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Minvader
2nd Gear
I hear a similar sound... not sure we have the same issue, but it could be. When I shift weight fore or aft I hear a clicking sound, doesn't take much speed at all, just a slight shift from front to back like when inching forward in bad traffic, or rolling backward while waiting at an uphill stoplight.

I have S-Lites, not Web Spokes... and I've wondered if they might be the culprit. The sound didn't change after rotating the wheels between front & back. Also, I had a stripped wheel stud which meant a left-rear hub replacement, and even a different set of S-Lites put in back... still clicks.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a inner CV problem if the problem occurs exactly as you describe. Hard accel will cause the halfshaft to extend from the inner cv joint. You might want to check the inner CV joint boots to see if they're ripped.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Cooper_Ski
2nd Gear
I had this same problem last July. Slight clicking during take-offs, but doesn't continue during driving.

There's a huge post somewhere here.The mechanics told me they replaced the "half-shaft". Apparently it's a problem that occurs in more MCS' than any other models.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Iggy-MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Spikedacrzyman
How could it be the webspokes? But if its the balancer, then i will have to let the MA know. Thanks for the help guys.... Spike
Seriously... I couldn't make this stuff up...
http://motoringfile.com/2005/10/25/clicking_web-spokes/

Old 03-27-2006, 07:28 AM
jcmini
2nd Gear
Same problem here. I had tapping on hard acceleration, tapping at idle too. Chad at Detroit Tuned replaced the balancer-crank pulley with a light wieght one and fixed the problem. Cheese design stock balancer-crank pulley.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:36 AM
danielg
4th Gear
I had the "half-shaft" problem. It sounded like two billard ***** hitting. It only happens once, upon launch. All the tech did was tighten this bolt and punch it in to lock. There's a huge thread on it.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:18 PM
techtipz
2nd Gear
Commonly, if it's heard from the driver's front when applying a sudden load,usually an axle.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:09 AM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I was told that at about the 5 mph, or roughly the same time the self door locks happen, the car does an ABS self-check. My SA even demonstrated it to me. It was a clicking noise.

Is this what you might be referring to?

Old 04-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Eriko
1st Gear
I had just notised this sound the other day, and the sound is coming from the passenger side. Could it still be the vibration dampener pully?

Old 04-06-2006, 07:49 PM
GREY MATTER
Neutral
clicking coming from the passenger side while under hard accel is the harmonic ballancer. My 04 does it pretty bad. Putting on a different pulley fixes it. If you get a clicking while accelerating and turning sharply it is usually a drive axles cv joint.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:42 AM
Eriko
1st Gear
Thanks Gray Matter for the info, so what pully do I change it to? Is it the one that every one is useing by Alta, M7 crank pully? I am not sure but Thanks again for your reply Grey Matter

Old 04-07-2006, 09:28 PM
GREY MATTER
Neutral
Eriko, what ever pulley you deside to go with is up to you. I'm using M7s' 2% currently. From the pics I have seen of aftermarket crank pulleys they all appear to be about the same design. The only differences being thier finishes and sizes. I'm sure there are other threads in here that might help you figure out what size you would like to go with depending on how you want the car to run and what you have already changed.(ie. supercharger pulley). I strongly recommend doing plenty of research before commiting to any modd.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:56 PM
angelfanz
1st Gear
My car clicked and clicked. After 5 trips to crevier Mini in S. Ca they replaced my web spoked wheels. It was from the passanger side at low speeds. They replaced in April 06. Good luck. They thought it was my balancer was the wheels.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:53 AM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
I just put my S-lites back on and Im hearing a clicking from starting, either back or foreward. Taking it to the dealer next week...Ill keep everyone posted.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:43 AM
UncleFester
2nd Gear
Had similar noise after hitting a large piece of lumber on morning commute. Noise usually happened in 1st from a dead stop. Dealer replaced wheel hub/front bearing on left front. Click now gone. Did you hit a large pothole or similar object? When I pulled left front wheel off to investigate, found much more "play" laterally on brake rotor on left front than right front. Solved my problem.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:04 AM
sprp85
6th Gear
I went in for check-up due to the clicking sound
My dealer replaced the left front axle (shaft ?)
and the noise is gone for now. I hope it stays this way
just giving you guys heads up..

(mine was done in less than 2 hours..)