Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Doesn't start on first try- Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 10:50 PM
sushi255
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had this problem where you have to crank the engine 2-4 times to start, and then it sputters to life. It seems better when I keep my foot off of the gas. My S has 4800 miles on it. It get worse the longet I have not driven it for.

Old 07-23-2002, 07:37 PM
I8AMINI
2nd Gear
Your foot shouldn't ever be on the gas in the first place. Mini's use whats called "Drive by wire' An electrical charge starts the engine not the gas.

Old 07-23-2002, 07:48 PM
taperolr
1st Gear
Mine often does not crank on the first try...most all the time it cranks on the second.....but I have noticed it only happens once a day......after it has been sitting 24 hours or more

Old 07-23-2002, 08:31 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
Mine is working flawlessly! Maybe I'm just lucky?

Old 07-24-2002, 05:18 AM
acetonic
4th Gear
This is a known problem with the fuel mixture. MINI USA is supposedly working on the fix. It will involve a simple reprogramming at the dealer. Who knows when it will be available?

Old 07-24-2002, 06:56 AM
rstansbe
1st Gear
Don't even breathe close to the pedal..My S will start only I'f I don't touch..
Just the wind off my feet will make it a rough start..But It starts great I'f I stay away.
Later...
Ron

Old 07-24-2002, 08:29 AM
BrunoBMW
1st Gear
The tech guy in Winston Salem told me a fix for the cold starting S models is in the works, but no word when. I find if a key on the electronics first, wait 10-20 seconds while I'm strapping myself in and adjusting mirrors, it will usually crank up fine.

Old 07-24-2002, 07:29 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
Like any other fuel injected car the Mini needs a lot of fuel pressure to run. If the car has been sitting for a while the fuel pump may need to cycle up some to build pressure in the lines. I always let my car sit for a few seconds with the key in the on position for the fuel pump to spin up. In my old jeep you could actually hear the pump wind up to a high pitch right when you turned the key on then settle into a low drone after a second or two.

That could be causing some of the problems. You shouldn't ever have to hit the gas to start a fuel injected car either. If you do there is a problem.

Old 07-24-2002, 08:47 PM
PureSilver
2nd Gear
Sushi255, I posted something on this issue on an earlier forum on July 17th. Thought I'd re-post here. Hope it helps!

"I have an 'S' model that I purchased on June 26th from Herb Chambers in Boston. The production date was in May. I have been having problems starting it first thing in the morning where it will take me 3 - 5 times turning the key before the engine turns over. Any other time of the day, it starts on the first try. I currently have 1,200 miles on the car, but this problem has been happening since the first few days I had it. I took her into MINI of Peabody for service, (ask for Gary King, he's incredible)! Gary informed me that it has been a problem he has seen in a few other 'S' models and it's a simple software upgrade fix. He told me they could take her in and send the part to the national HeadQuarters right away, (I'd be without a car for a few days) or I could wait for the software to come into the dealership so they can fix it on site. I chose the latter option so I wouldn't have to give up my baby, but Gary expects the software to be in by the end of the month/first week of August time frame at which time, they will take her in and fix her up. They will also be performing an alignment as I have been having the 'pulling-to-the-left' problem I read about in a previous post.

In the meantime, I have had better luck starting her up in the morning if I turn the key to the first position, wait for five seconds, then turn it all the way. Technically, I don't know what makes this better, but when I do that it only takes one or two tries to get the engine to turn over.

Hope this helps other 'S' model owners who are experiencing cold starts."

Just an update sine I first posted this...I received a voice-mail from the MINI Peabody Service Dept. today stating they are expecting the software to arrive within the month and will be contacting me to set up a service appt. to fix the problem. So call your dealer ASAP!

Old 07-25-2002, 07:36 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
>>In the meantime, I have had better luck starting her up in the morning if I turn the key to the first position, wait for five seconds, then turn it all the way. Technically, I don't know what makes this better, but when I do that it only takes one or two tries to get the engine to turn over.
>>
>>>>
>>
>>

Old 07-25-2002, 07:38 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
>>>>In the meantime, I have had better luck starting her up in the morning if I turn the key to the first position, wait for five seconds, then turn it all the way. Technically, I don't know what makes this better, but when I do that it only takes one or two tries to get the engine to turn over.
>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>

Grr Stupid enter Key hit submit by accident.

Check out my post above your first one. That is probably part of the reason it is easier for the car to start when you wait a few seconds.

We need an edit function.